Diarrhea with mucus and blood in the child: causes, treatment
Diarrhea in a child who is accompanied by mucus and blood
Diarrhea depending on the age of the child is physiological and pathological. Production of mucus by the digestive system occurs constantly. But in some cases it may indicate a pathological process. But if the diarrhea with mucus, the child is accompanied by a bloody discharge is a symptom of dangerous diseases.
Causes of diarrhea with the admixtures of mucus in children of different ages
Causes diarrhea with mucus in children, are divided into two groups. One is linked with growth and development, pose no danger to health, others for a symptom of the disease, and require urgent examination and treatment.
Mucus in stool in babies first year of life is the norm. The intestinal wall of the newborn produce mucus in large quantity. Is a physiological process which helps the baby to adapt the digestive system to the new conditions of life. Mucus performs two important functions. It prevents mechanical and chemical damage of the intestinal epithelium, liquefies the food to facilitate its promotion.
The second reason for the appearance of mucus and diarrhea in a child’s first 2 years of life – teething. As a rule, this indigestion does not cause pain in the abdomen and passing on their own on the third day. High mucus production due to activation of receptors. Teething in the mouth intensively produced saliva. Saliva increases peristalsis and initiate the production of mucus in the intestines.
Causes of mucus in the stool, which are eliminated without medical intervention:
- violation of feeding large intervals between meals or overfeeding of the child, strengthens the mucosa of the intestine;
- the introduction of complementary feeding not age-appropriate, – the food the intestine is unable to digest, disrupts the functioning of the digestive tract, causes excess mucus;
- inappropriate baby food or milk formula – these products can cause allergic reactions as a defense mechanism against allergens, all mucous membranes are working in emergency mode;
- diet or poor nutrition nursing moms – any disorder of digestion in lactating women affect the gastrointestinal tract of the child.
In some pathological conditions in Calais the child it is possible to observe particles of mucus, like push the immune system to protect the body:
- colds, catarrhal rhinitis (common cold) an upper respiratory infection;
- allergic reactions, rash, itching, redness, and peeling – dermatitis, urticaria, diathesis;
- the enzymatic deficiency – congenital or acquired lack of enzymes of the digestive tract;
- dyspepsia is rotting, fermenting food;
- goiter – deficiency of the intestinal microflora upset, so in Calais the child has undigested food with mucus fragments;
A particularly dangerous condition of intestinal infectious diseases caused by pathogenic microorganisms (viruses, bacteria, protozoa). In such cases there is mucus and blood in stool in child. When salmonellosis, dysentery, Staphylococcus, and rotavirus (intestinal flu) in the stool contains an abundance of fluid and frothy mucus.
In rare cases, the appearance of the mucous membranes of the impurities in the stool of babies is evidence of hereditary or genetic pathology (malformations):
- Hirschsprung’s disease – enlargement of the bowel loops with a large accumulation of fluid, which are formed due to the spasm of individual sections (change in diameter of the intestine);
- atresia – congenital volvulus, doubling the violation of innervation;
- obstruction of the duodenum is accompanied by the formation of mucous plugs;
- pyloric stenosis – a violation of the innervation of the stomach, stool scanty, but because of increased secretion of the intestinal glands contain mucus.
Diarrhea with impurities as physiological state
From infants to start complementary feeding chair in consistency mushy. The first days of life from the intestines of the child is meconium – a substance dark in color with green slime. This is the first feces that accumulates during fetal development. After the start of breastfeeding, the stool becomes yellow.
Green diarrhea with mucus in infants is considered the norm in that case, if the child well puts on weight, develops according to the age, feels well (normal sleep, appetite, physical activity). Another color of feces is observed at irritation of the large intestine and dysbiosis. This is due to inadequate food processing and rapid evacuation from the gut.
Yellow diarrhea may occur in children who are on artificial feeding. This coloration of the feces of the baby, which is 1 year is considered normal. If the chair changes the consistency, contains pieces of food and mucus, you must install the monitoring of the dynamics of change. If the General condition of the child worsens, you should seek the advice of a pediatrician.
Mucus in the stool of the child as pathology
Diarrhea with mucus as a pathological condition often is accompanied by a change in color, presence of blood and particles of undigested food.
Blood in the stool of a child is always an alarming symptom. In norm it should not be. The presence of vaginal bleeding was not due to error in diet, the use of beets, a simple indigestion or dysbiosis.
If the child has diarrhea with blood and mucus, should be suspected of such disease:
- acute intestinal infection salmonellosis, yersiniosis;
- bleeding from the upper or lower parts of the digestive system;
- worm infestation;
- polyps of the large intestine;
- the inflammation of hemorrhoids;
- malignant neoplasms.
Red blood that soaked all the stool – a sign of bleeding from the lower intestine. Stool streaked with red blood sometimes hemorrhoids. Dark red clots are observed in violation of the mucosa of the upper gastrointestinal tract – peptic ulcer of the stomach or duodenum.
Bloody diarrhea in a child without fever and vomiting is a sign of polyps in the colon. A polyp is a benign tumor, which develops from the mucosa. With small size of tumors in a child in feces there are red blotches. When a polyp grows in volume, child diarrhea with blood.
The cause of bleeding in children are often chronic inflammatory bowel disease – Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis. The main symptoms that should immediately refer to a gastroenterologist:
- systematic episodes of the appearance of blood in the liquid stool;
- defecation bowel occurs mainly at night;
- unexplained fever, weight loss, slowing or cessation of growth;
- poor sleep, loss of appetite, prolonged decline in physical activity.
The appearance of blood in the stool of the child on a background a satisfactory feel parents do not attach much importance. Minor bleeding from the anus trying to treat locally advanced suppositories, ointments that does not bring any therapeutic results. You need to remember that blood from the rectum is a disease and requires medical treatment.
If the child poops and showed up grey mucus in the stool is a symptom of putrefactive dyspepsia (poor digestion of proteins). Unsplit organic compounds can form toxic substances which irritate the receptors of bowels and provoke excessive secretion of mucus. Stool frequency increased to 8 times a day, feces has a bad odor.
Have a year-old baby diarrhea green in color with mucus can be caused by fermentative dyspepsia, insufficient digestion and absorption of carbohydrates.
There is a perception that the reason for the selection of blood constipation. But they should be systematic and heavy that the child is not found.
Diarrhea in acute infectious diseases
The mechanism of action of pathogenic microorganisms during intestinal infection – introduction of bacteria into the mucosa and the secretion of destructive toxins. This may be affected as certain departments, and the entire intestine.
Infection in the child’s body always begins acutely. Every adult knows the basic symptoms:
- nausea, repeated vomiting;
- headache, dizziness, chills, skin rash;
- colicky (spasmodic) pain in the navel, stomach or diffuse pain throughout the abdomen;
- the child lies on its side, with a high temperature that ranges from 38 to 41° (depending on the type of infection and severity of disease).
On the background of intoxication associated diarrhea. It is up to 15 times a day, sometimes more often. The main characteristics of the chair (options):
- the consistency is pasty, liquid, watery;
- color – various shades of brown, green, yellow, marsh;
- impurity – mucus, blood, undigested food.
Diarrhea with blood from the baby speaks of a severe form of the disease, which is accompanied by extensive damage of the mucosa and increasing dehydration. Dark mucus in the stool is a symptom gastroenterocolitis (inflammation of the stomach, duodenum, small intestine and colon at the same time).
Rapid loss of fluids poses a direct threat to the life of a child. Immature kidneys are not able to cope with the toxic load and the shortage of water increases the concentration of toxic substances in the blood. To prevent the development of intoxication, it is necessary to take measures that compensate for fluid loss.
Signs of dehydration in infants with intestinal infections:
- repeated vomiting and profuse diarrhea;
- dry mucous membranes of the mouth and nose;
- dry lips, wrinkling of the skin;
- crying without tears;
- infants – sunken fontanel.
- rare urination (reduction of daily diuresis for the toxic load on the kidneys).
The response of the immune system in an infant developing on the fifth day after onset of illness. During this period, the main task is to combat dehydration (drink, intravenous infusion). Loss of fluid can lead to death.
Prevention of increased formation of mucus in the intestines
Measures to prevent the formation of mucus and bleeding in the digestive tract:
- Proper organization of the child’s diet.
- Ensuring a balanced diet.
- The organization of the day is sufficient physical activity, enough sleep, favorable psychological atmosphere.
- Activities to strengthen children’s immunity – vitamins, hardening, fresh air in any weather.
- Observance of rules of personal hygiene, maintenance of cleanliness in the room.
- Timely treatment of foci of inflammation in the body (acute respiratory infections, chronic ENT diseases, dental caries).
- Treatment of disorders of the digestive system.
In 90% of cases such symptoms, like mucus in the intestines can be removed without specific treatment at home, with the exception of infectious diseases. The delayed response of parents to the symptoms of the pathology creates the risk of complications – impaired growth and development of the child, chronic functional disorder of the gastrointestinal tract, weakened immunity, accession of secondary diseases.