Excess iodine in the body: symptoms, effects, methods of removal
The effects of excess iodine in the body
All trace elements that are involved in the metabolism contained in the body in a certain amount, creating favorable conditions for the functioning of the organs and systems. If any of the minerals lacking, then sooner or later it affects the well-being and human health. However, if a trace element, e.g., iodine, too much, then the situation is no better. Increased presence of this element, evidence of serious disease and the symptoms of excess iodine in the body is quite varied – they can be confused with conventional temporary deterioration of health.
The concentration of iodine in the body is regulated by the thyroid gland, which is a mineral element produces hormones and is involved in metabolic processes. Since the endocrine system is not able to cope with the lack or excess of an element, any failure is immediately reflected on health of the person. Repeated violations lead to thyroid disease, so you have to withdraw the excess iodine. Symptoms of excess iodine is similar, but the etiology of their occurrence are different.
What diseases are caused from excessive iodine
As iodine is produced by a greater quantity than necessary to the body, the thyroid begins to work more actively. Under the action of excess of trace elements, it begins to produce more hormones, which leads to failures on the part of a hormonal background. In turn, the increased production of hormones provokes an excess of iodine. It’s an endless cycle that can be stopped only in the early stages. If timely treatment is not followed, the consequences could be irreversible. Excess iodine and hormones can affect both the endocrine system and all body systems.
Symptoms of excess iodine in the body:
- neuroses, which are accompanied by aggression and irritability, and occur because of excess hormones;
- tachycardia, arrhythmia, high blood pressure;
- protrusion of the eyeballs and the inability to freely move them;
- tearing, itching and burning in the eyes;
- attention span, forgetfulness and lack of concentration;
- rapid weight loss due to the acceleration of metabolic processes;
- vision deterioration, which could result in its complete loss;
- loose stools and frequent bowel movements;
- the constant feeling of hunger or, conversely, lack of appetite;
- increase secretion of bile and gastric juice;
- low-grade fever;
- swelling of the legs;
- faults of breathing, frequent shortness of breath on slight physical exertion;
- fragility and splitting of hair and nails;
- excessive thirst;
- the reduction in fertility, and subsequently a General inability to get pregnant;
- frequent urination;
- disruptions of the menstrual cycle;
- headaches and loss of consciousness.
Graves ‘ disease
This disease is accompanied by occurrence of irreversible processes, if you do not treat it immediately. When it perceives the human body the immune and the endocrine system as foreign antigens and starts to fight with their functioning. It is assumed that this is due to the impact of harmful external factors, in response to which offers such a reaction. Often this more than anything affected the thyroid gland, which is trying to protect themselves to increased activity, leading to excess iodine. This disease is characterized by the following symptoms:
- The patient’s eyes are usually wide open, bulging, dry mucous membranes, conjunctivitis is formed. Gradually deteriorating vision, until its complete loss.
- From the Central nervous system there is the appearance of nervousness, irritability, anxiety. Usually the patient can not sleep, which further exacerbates his condition.
- The reaction of the cardiovascular system is manifested in the occurrence of pain in the heart, the increased pressure and arrhythmias.
- The process of refining carbohydrates is disturbed, which often leads to diabetes mellitus.
- The adrenal glands stop the production of the necessary amount of hormones, which in men leads to impotence and women infertility.
- In the area where located the thyroid gland, a man develops a goiter due to the increase of the authority.
Until now, the etiology of this disease is not fully understood. It is believed that at risk are people with chronic tonsillitis, vitiligo, diabetes and Addison’s disease. Graves ‘ disease can be due to viral infections or flu.
The first symptoms, which is accompanied by excess iodine
Excess iodine in the body leads to the emergence of such symptoms:
- excessive sweating;
- decreased performance;
- trembling of the body;
- weight loss;
- decreased libido;
- disruptions of menstrual periods in women and reduced erectile function among men;
- intolerance to physical exertion, permanent impotence.
How to determine if an excess of iodine in the body
For the detection of excess iodine in the home need to have a cotton swab and a bottle of iodine solution that is commonly used for healing wounds and in almost every house:
- In the evening before going to bed, you need to apply a cotton swab of iodine mesh on the outer thigh or stomach. In the morning, after waking up, you should pay attention to how absorbed mesh. If it is only half visible, the excess iodine in the body is not observed. But if during the day the grid has remained in the same form as immediately after applying – this indicates the increased production of iodine.
- The same can be done in the morning – it will be a more reliable option, as during wakefulness, all the processes in the body are more active. Apply a strip of iodine on the inner side of the forearm and observe how iodine is absorbed throughout the day. If at the end of the day the strip turned pale, the excess iodine is not.
- But the third method is the most accurate. In the evening on the inner side of the forearm is applied for not one, but three strips of different thickness. It is recommended to start with the most thin and end thick. If morning is gone a thin strip, medium pale, and the thick left – iodine in the body is in the right quantity. If all three lanes are barely visible or missing, it is the symptoms of iodine deficiency that is no less dangerous than its excess.
Such experiments are appropriate, if the man simply wanted to ensure good functioning of his endocrine system, but it feels great. In any case, when you detect any of the above symptoms must visit a doctor for further tests and appointments necessary medicines.
How to withdraw iodine from the body
Traditional medicine cannot always help in case of serious violations, however, in conjunction with medication, its use gives good results. To bring the iodine from the body of folk remedies is possible, modifying for this diet. Daily eating legumes such as lentils, beans and peanuts, you can quickly get rid of the excess iodine. However, these products do not reduce its production, and just prevent iodine absorbed in the body. Kale, corn and soybeans also possess such properties. In addition, by increasing the activity of the thyroid gland is recommended to use dairy products, eat eggs and drink jelly starch.
The use of infusion on the leaves of strawberries will gradually help to cope with excess iodine. For cooking you will need a tablespoon of dried leaves pour a glass of hot water. Eat small portions several times a day.
For certain find out, not in the body of excess iodine, only having passed special examination. If a person finds a persistent wet cough and runny nose and to this is added a reaction on the skin in the form of acne, it is a chance to check the level of production of iodine. Excess might even develop iododerma is skin lesions in the form of brownish spots.
The excretion of iodine from the body primarily aimed at removing the source of excess. In severe cases and during exacerbations shown gargling and washing stomach solution of sodium. In acute iodine poisoning is lavage with a solution of sodium thiosulfate and removal of residual iodine from the skin. When the rinsing is done, you can enjoy the sorbent. After cleaning it is recommended to eat a few raw eggs and a glass of milk. Medicines to correct thyroid function are selected and appointed by the physician – self-treatment in this case can only exacerbate the situation.
Typically, when excess iodine is recommended to radically change the way of life until the change of residence, as this phenomenon can provoke and natural features of specific area. It is not necessary to forget about correct nutrition.
Upon detection of symptoms similar to hyperthyroidism, you should immediately consult a doctor. Such violation, as excess iodine may long remain unnoticed, and then result in a terrible disease, so early diagnosis is important for successful treatment and a speedy recovery.