Flomax overdose: the signs, symptoms, treatment
The symptoms and first aid for overdose flomax
Flomax is used for inhalation through a nebulizer or through a metered-dose aerosol in diseases which are caused by spasms of the bronchial tubes. These diseases include bronchial asthma. The drug has two major components, ipratropium bromide (m-cholinolytic) and fenoterol bromide (beta2-adrenomimetic) that complement each other and allow you to relieve tension muscle of the bronchi, thereby stopping bronchospasm attack. Overdose flomax possible failure to comply with the rules of the drug.
The advantages of drug
Flomax belongs to the drugs of the new generation, it is available in two dosage forms:
- Metered-dose aerosol which is indispensable for people suffering from asthma.
- Solution for inhalation – convenient to use in children and the elderly.
The effect of the drug becomes noticeable after a few minutes of ingestion, a few hours is the maximum effect, it lasts up to 6 hours. Flomax stimulates the respiratory system, relieves spasm from the bronchial tubes, relaxes blood vessels and reduces the secretion of viscous secretion in the bronchi.
Despite the fact that the drug is contraindicated in children under 6 years old, doctors successfully used in pediatric patients. It is an effective and fast acting drug.
Flomax children needs a doctor! He will be able to correctly calculate a therapeutic dosage based on the weight of the baby.
The amount of flomax that can cause an overdose
Aerosol intended for the treatment of adult patients and children older than six years. To stop an acute attack of bronchospasm, it is sufficient to use two inhaled doses. If the attack is not relieved, then after five minutes acceptable the procedure is repeated at the same dosage. The maximum allowable amount of drug that can be used at a time, is four inhaled doses.
The drug can be used not only in acute stroke, but as a prolonged therapy in diseases of the bronchi. In this case, it is usually recommended to use a single inhaled dose up to four times per day. If the patient is in the day received more than eight inhalation doses, it leads to overdose.
The solution berodual inhalation also can cause overdose. A small child under the age of 6 years, the maximum allowable dose should be 2 ml, the volume is divided into 3-4 inhalations. Child aged 6 to 12 years for the relief of acute attack-time apply up to 1 ml. And teenagers over 12 years old you can apply for 1 ml of solution up to four times per day. Single dose of 3-4 ml is able to cause the child poisoning.
Flomax for inhalation via a nebulizer should always be diluted with saline!
The main symptoms of overdose
The symptoms of flomax overdose include the following condition:
- aching pain in the heart;
- a rise in pressure;
- strengthening of bronchospasm;
- trembling in the extremities;
- redness of the skin;
- an unquenchable thirst that can not quench;
- nausea and vomiting;
- allergic reactions, in severe cases, possible angioedema;
- deviances in behavior.
If overdose is too high, the pressure gradually decreases and the person falls into a coma.
Overdose flomax may result in an acute attack of angle-closure glaucoma, the symptoms of which include the following States:
- acute headache, radiating to whiskey, with more intense pain from the affected side;
- pain in the area affected eye, the visual organ is red and swollen;
- the pupil is much enlarged and of irregular shape;
- can be bleeding in the eye;
- quickly develops micropsia – the objects spread out in front of the eyes arise whitish spots;
- can be copious vomiting.
Urgent help in case of overdose flomax is only doctors! So you need to stop taking the drug and quickly call an ambulance. What to do when poisoning first and foremost, decide doctors!
Treatment after poisoning flomax
With a strong degree of poisoning to the victim shows the introduction of the antidote atenolol or betaxolol. These drugs the doctors prescribed with caution and carefully select the dosage. Improper dosage can lead to an increase of an attack of obstruction.
In addition, symptomatic treatment, which aims to eliminate problems with breathing and heart or to prevent them.
If there is respiratory distress, the patient shows the inhalation of humidified oxygen if respiratory distress persists, the victim was transferred on artificial lung ventilation. According to the testimony prescribe hormones and antihistamines. At elevated pressure administered for normalization. Perhaps the appointment of tranquilizers, if a person is too excited.
Developed glaucoma treated according to the standard Protocol, the attack is stopped by drugs. When there is no breathing and heartbeat, conduct CPR.
Poisoning flomax of children is especially difficult, so this treatment can be carried out only under the supervision of adults or health professionals.
Features of the use of flomax
Here are a few important rules that will help avoid medication:
- Before taking it is required to carefully read the instructions for use.
- If a person has chronic kidney disease or the liver, the doctor definitely is informed. This group of patients this drug is prescribed with caution.
- The medicine is strictly prohibited to take oral! Flomax is used only as inhalation.
- If you are using a therapeutic dose of the drug in humans begins severe shortness of breath is a reason to immediately contact a doctor.
- When used in pediatric practice it is important to calculate the effective dosage. Doctor need to tell the exact weight of the child.
The consequences of overdose
When an overdose of the minor and assistance was provided immediately, the consequences will not be any. All symptoms should go away within one or two days. If overdose is significant, the prognosis is less favorable. There can be such complications:
- Pneumonia that occurs because of respiratory distress.
- Acute of vascular disease – heart attack, stroke, due to sudden increase in pressure. This is especially true for the elderly.
To avoid an overdose and unpleasant consequences, you must use the drug only on prescription and only in the prescribed dosage. Store flomax is out of reach of children.