Inderal: overdose fatal dose
Overdose and death from propranolol
Inderal is a common drug to combat high blood pressure. He is almost in every medicine Cabinet hypertensive patients. Given the prevalence of this pharmacological agents, overdose anaprilin is an urgent issue.
Effect of propranolol on the body
Inderal is a pharmacological drug that is used in various diseases of the cardiovascular system. It affects the adrenergic receptors.
The effect of the drug:
- antiarrhythmic – regulates heart rhythm, reduces the excitability and automaticity sinusnogo hub;
- antianginalnoe – reduces the frequency and force of heart contractions, reducing the need heart of oxygen;
- hypotensive – reduces cardiac output, reduces blood pressure.
In large doses the drug has a sedative effect, reduces irritability, causing the hypnotic effect, relieves panic attacks. Due to its soothing effects, the drug is prescribed with caution for people whose work is connected with increased attention – drivers, teachers, surgeons. Sometimes there is psychomotor agitation.
The drug is prescribed to patients with cardiac disorders. The main indications:
- CHD (coronary heart disease);
- atrial fibrillation;
- myocardial infarction;
- hypertrophic cardiomyopathy;
- stenosis of the mitral valve.
Inderal (Anaprilin) prescribed in the complex treatment of the abstinent syndrome – narcotic, alcoholic, drug dependence requiring increasing doses of the substance used. The medication reduces anxiety and eliminates tremor (shaking muscles). It is also prescribed for relief of severe migraines.
The negative effects of drugs
Patients concerned about the harmful inderal do for the body? The drug has a strong action, in addition to the therapeutic effect, it has a negative impact on other systems and internal organs.
Common side effects:
- Gastrointestinal – nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, aching pain in the epigastric region, inflammation of the colon, enlargement of the liver and its dysfunction.
- Of the cardiovascular system – sudden low blood pressure, slow heartbeat.
- From the nervous system – depression, phobias, insomnia, nightmares, anxiety, dizziness, headaches.
- The respiratory system – cough, shortness of breath at rest, spasm of the larynx, trachea, bronchi.
- In the skin the development of psoriasis, hair loss.
- Allergic reactions such as skin redness, rash, itching.
The dosage of propranolol and its influence on the human condition
The drug is available in tablets of 10 and 40 mg, or 0.01 and 0.04 g. How many tablets can be taken per day? Maximum daily dose not exceeding 300 mg is 7-8 40 mg tabs To receive such amount used to mild the effect of small doses.
If you drink a lot of pills propranolol it can lead to irreversible processes in the body and to death. A lethal dose for an adult is 10-20 g. of a substance in the blood, causing severe chemical poisoning is 40 mg/l, lethal rate is 50 mg/L.
The safety of the drug in children is not clear.
Symptoms of overdose
Poisoning anaprilin is different degrees of severity. It happens, if patients do not adhere to prescribed treatment regimens and abusing the drug without a good reason. Another possible cause of severe intoxication – suicide attempt resulting in death can occur from propranolol.
Symptoms of mild intoxication:
- heart failure, severe bradycardia;
- a persistent fall in blood pressure;
- the blueing of the nails, fingertips, palms;
- throbbing pain in rib cage;
- dryness of the mucous;
- dyspepsia digestive tract.
How dangerous is inderal? When a large overdose of the drug inhibits the heart and lungs. The consequences of such effects may jeopardize the person’s life.
Signs of severe poisoning:
- arrhythmia – a violation of cardiac contractions;
- ventricular arrhythmia – disruption of the heart, associated with the violation of the contractions of the ventricles;
- the aggravation of symptoms of chronic heart failure;
- violation of peripheral blood circulation;
- bronchospasm, shortness of breath, may stop breathing;
- cold of the lower extremities due to a decrease in venous pressure;
- a critical drop in blood pressure below 80/50;
- collapse, loss of consciousness.
In case of overdose average weight decreases hepatic blood flow, a release of insulin by the pancreas, decreases the minute and stroke volume of the heart. The agent has cardiotoxicity (affect the state of cardiocyte cells of the heart). The drug depresses the Central nervous system, has cardiodepressivne action.
In high concentrations it causes ventricular fibrillation, an attack of dyspnoea – a violation of the depth and frequency of breathing. There is a sharp drop in blood pressure, cardiac arrest and death.
In pregnant inderal delay of intrauterine growth of the child. So the drug is not prescribed to women awaiting the birth of a child.
First aid in acute poisoning
If the moment the man swallowed the pill, it took less than 45 min, you must immediately induce vomiting.
Algorithm of actions:
- Give the victim drink 1 liter of cool water for 2-5 minutes.
- Pushing down on the tongue with two fingers, to cause a gag reflex and cause vomiting.
- To give a sorbent – the activated coal from calculation 1 tablet on 1 kg of body weight. Once to drink 5 tablets.
- The patient lay, cover with a warm blanket, feet put a hot water bottle.
- If the patient’s condition is satisfactory, you can give him to drink warm sweet tea.
If low blood pressure, the victim must be in the Trendelenburg posture is to lie on your back under hips to put a pillow or folded blanket so that the lower torso was above the head at 45°.
In severe poisoning anaprilin the patient must be transported to the hospital for emergency care.
In violation of the conduction of cardiac electrical impulses administered atropine intravenously. It blocks the vagus nerve, relaxes muscles, stimulates the respiratory center.
If the use of atropine was not effective, resort to the use of a pacemaker.
When ventricular extrasystole – an untimely contraction of individual heart chambers (ventricles), used lidocaine.
If not pulmonary or renal edema, use, intravenous plasma-substituting solutions. They support the functioning of the internal organs in severe pathological conditions.
If replacement therapy is not having the desired effect, prescribe one of the drugs: epinephrine, dopamine, dobutamine. They stimulate the heart, narrowing of the lumen of blood vessels, raise HELL.
In heart failure, shown diuretics, cardiac glycosides, glucagon.
In convulsions intravenous diazepam decreases the excitation of the brain, increases the resistance of nerve cells to oxygen deficiency, relieves emotional stress.
When spasm of the bronchi used inhaled or intravenous beta-agonists – isoprenaline, dobutamine. They relax the smooth muscles, eliminate spasms. They also increase the strength and frequency of contractions of the heart.
If the person is unconscious, carry out resuscitation: artificial oxygen supply, continuous monitoring of the heart and kidneys, and supportive care.
Inderal is a potent drug with serious side effects. The use of this medication requires a responsible approach to treatment, strict adherence to the dosage of the drug.