Inhalation of gasoline and its vapors: what to do if swallowed gasoline
How to help a person in case of poisoning with gasoline
Gasoline is quite common in people’s daily life. This fuel not only run vehicles, but also used in the role of the solvent. Petrol easily evaporates, so quickly gets into the human respiratory tract, in addition, possible accidental ingestion of the substance. On the effects on the human nervous system is the fuel attributed to the drug. Poisoning by gasoline is an acute and chronic form.
Where poisoning gasoline
To the poisoning of the gasoline may be a large number of people whose lives are somehow connected with this substance. Although there are cases of penetration of a combustible substance into the body through the mouth, often inadvertently. The main cases when you can get poisoned:
- When performing work at the gas station.
- Work on businesses related to the petroleum industry.
- During repairs associated with painting surfaces and use of gasoline as a solvent.
- Motorists at the time of transfusion of gasoline with funnel and rubber tube, when the fuel sucked by the mouth.
There is a big chance to take a SIP of gasoline during the transfusion, if it is delayed by mouth. For suction of liquid is necessary to use a rubber bulb!
General characteristics of fluid
Daily many people use gasoline for their own needs. In the first place they refuel the cars and other equipment. Due to its technical characteristics, it has found application in industry, which manufactures paints and rubber products.
If the room is warm, the liquid quickly evaporates and accumulates in the lower atmosphere, since gasoline has a higher density relative to air.
Toxicity give fuel hydrocarbons, which possess narcotic properties. Of particular danger are aromatic hydrocarbons. Due to the increased volatile inhalation of gasoline vapors is a very common phenomenon. It most often enters the body through the respiratory tract, but there are cases when a person accidentally slurped gasoline or poisoning occurred as a result of exposure to large areas of the skin.
Depending on how many substances get into the human body and how long the exposure to the chemical, there are intoxication of different severity and with different consequences.
Acute and chronic form of poisoning with gasoline
When contact occurs with the fuel in a relatively short time, a person may experience the symptoms of poisoning with vapors of gasoline, they are very similar to alcohol intoxication.
- The victim strongly excited, he develops a sense of euphoria and uncontrollable laughter.
- In the limbs there is a weakness, the skin a little blush.
- There is vertigo, is a disorder of coordination.
- Irritated mucous membranes of the respiratory system.
- There may be nausea and retching.
- Occurs noticeable tachycardia, the patient feels palpitations.
Symptoms of poisoning pairs of gasoline can also be supplemented by other changes in health such as a nervous TIC, accompanied by twitching of the limbs.
In severe poisoning the symptoms are aggravated by the victim:
- he falls into unconsciousness;
- temperatures rise to very high marks;
- visible spasms;
- may appear hallucinations.
Lightning the degree of poisoning occur in places where the concentration of flammable substances is very large. It usually happens during emergency conditions, when gasoline spilled on a large area, but may be during production, manual cleaning industrial tanks. People caught in this zone without protection, loses consciousness and stops breathing.
To eliminate the consequences of accidents as a result of the oil spill is possible, but only using personal protective equipment!
Petrol pneumonia is the consequence of aspiration of fuel in different parts of the lungs. This can happen when you try draining the petrol from the tank of the car and tightening his mouth in a rubber tube. The consequences of release of the substance into the mouth and then the lungs characterized by changes in health status:
- there is a pain in the side of the lung which is damaged;
- skin become cyanotic color;
- there is shortness of breath during physical exertion, and if the condition is serious, then the period of calm;
- cough with blood, sputum appearance of rust;
- General casualty’s condition is deteriorating rapidly and the temperature rises.
If gasoline is accidentally swallowed and reaches the stomach, it leads to such conditions:
- uncontrollable vomiting;
- diarrhea mixed with blood;
- paroxysmal pain in the abdomen;
- skin and eyes turn yellow – this indicates liver damage;
- there is a General weakness.
Poisoning chronic forms obtained by continuous working with the fuel and is symptoms:
- disturbed nervous system. This is evident by the hysteria and depressive moods;
- reduced working capacity, the person complains of chronic weakness and fatigue;
- there is a drop in blood pressure, disturbed sleep and diminished sense of smell;
- there are systematic failures in the digestive system;
- women of childbearing age suffer from menstrual disorders, they have disrupted reproductive function.
With constant contact of petrol with skin begins eczema or chronic inflammation of the epidermis.
Substance abuse is a widespread enthusiasm, especially among teenagers. They sniff petrol, to achieve the euphoria and hallucinations. The special characteristics of this threat Hobbies are addictive and malfunction of the nervous system, with severe consequences for intelligence.
If adults don’t notice changes in adolescent behavior and did not stop pihanga, the teenager can remain disabled!
Emergency treatment of poisoning fuel
First aid for poisoning by gasoline is based on carrying out medical activities that are aimed at alleviating the condition of the victim. The sequence of actions should be:
- The victim is removed to fresh air, if the poisoning occurred in a closed room, or isolated from places where there are petrol fumes.
- Give a lot of drinking. The temperature of the liquid should match the body temperature – this makes it quicker to withdraw toxic substances from the body.
- Put the person to bed and well hiding him. The head should incline to one side, to avoid zahlebyvayas vomit.
- To give adsorbents for reduction of sucking toxins into the bloodstream.
If the patient has severe phase of the poisoning, you can use the oxygen bag.
Rinsing of the stomach performed with the fuel getting to the gastrointestinal tract. For this purpose, the probe is large diameter and washed until then, until the washings are absolutely transparent. Then through a tube into the stomach, pour a little warm vegetable oil, or diluted in water activated carbon.
Method of treatment in cases of poisoning by gasoline
If the person took a lot of gasoline or fuel has entered the stomach, the treatment has to be in the hospital. The Protocol looks like this:
- The victim provides bed rest in a well ventilated room.
- Practice a specialized therapy that includes intravenous infusion of glucose and isotonic solution.
- If you have liver or kidney problems, prescribe a comprehensive drugs aimed at the restoration of these organs.
In addition, doctors will prescribe diet, which includes foods fortified with b vitamins and ascorbic acid. Separately prescribed an iron Supplement and calcium.
If the person breathed gasoline for a short time and his condition was not life-threatening, hospitalization is not required.
Poisoning by other products refining industry
Toxicity to various products of oil processing are common, especially in children of all ages. Kerosene and diesel fuel used in the agricultural sector almost on a par with petrol and similarly toxic effect on the human body.
Ingestion products of distillation leads to irritation of the mucous membranes of the stomach and esophagus, and after that, if there is vomiting, it could damage the trachea. These chemicals are rapidly absorbed from the digestive tract, and the toxins reach the lungs – as a result of severe pneumonia and swelling. If the victim cough – this means that aspiration into the lungs has already occurred. First aid is the same as for poisoning by gasoline.
You have to remember, if the age of the victim is less than 3 years, or is it an elderly person, contact a doctor should immediately!
Prevention of poisoning products of petroleum refining
Warning all of these intoxications are primarily based on strict observance of safety rules.
- The ventilation system must be well thought out in industry and at home.
- All petroleum products that are used in the home must stand out of reach of children.
- When working with petroleum products must use personal protection – masks, goggles and gloves.
- Workers who have constant contact with fuel should systematically undergo a medical examination with the delivery of all analyses.
- The man who had inhaled gasoline, are excluded from the production of harmful and transferred to light conditions.
When at the enterprises there are cases of poisoning products of petroleum refining, it is known to put health service and instructor safety.
Knowing that gasoline and other petroleum products may be poisonous, should follow basic safety rules. Special attention is paid to education of teenagers, if there is the slightest suspicion that they are engaged in substance abuse, you should consult a doctor.