Is it possible to poison mushrooms: symptoms, consequences

The symptoms and treatment of poisoning with mushrooms

Mushrooms are the most popular edible mushrooms worldwide. Them all year round you can buy in supermarkets and prepare delicious mushroom dishes. Many people mistakenly believe that the poisoning with mushrooms it is impossible, and that these mushrooms can’t carry the danger to the body. In this article we have considered whether it is possible to get poisoned by mushrooms, which may be causes, symptoms of this disease, how to provide poisoned person first aid.

The main causes of poisonings with mushrooms

There are many reasons why you may develop poisoning with these at first sight harmless mushrooms. The main reasons we next considered.

  • Mushroom cultivation in contaminated areas. These mushrooms are able to absorb all the exhaust gases, chemicals, nitrates and pesticides from air and land.
  • The use of chemicals when growing these mushrooms. Mushrooms often grown in artificial conditions. To accelerate their growth and weight gain by unscrupulous producers can use antibiotics and chemicals that are harmful to health.
  • The use in food of spoiled mushrooms. These mushrooms have very short shelf life. They quickly deteriorate and the plant pathogenic bacteria that can cause intestinal poisoning.
  • About accidental ingestion of mushrooms. These mushrooms are not deadly to humans, but lead to severe intoxication.
  • Eating poorly washed and poorly thermally processed mushrooms.
  • Poorly cooked canned mushrooms can cause botulism. It is a severe disease that affects the Central nervous system.

Clinical manifestations of poisoning

Symptoms of poisoning by mushrooms occur during the first 6 hours after their consumption. They develop acute and rapidly degrade the overall health of the patient. Their severity is directly correlated with the amount eaten and type of bacteria or toxin that triggered the poisoning.

What are the main symptoms of poisoning by mushrooms?

  • Nausea and vomiting. In the vomit may be the remains of eaten fungi, bile, gastric juice and mucus. Vomiting may be multiple.
  • Abdominal pain localized in the stomach and intestines. It can develop the type of intestinal colic, spasms occur.
  • Flatulence, flatulence.
  • Abundant and repeated diarrhea. The chair may have a fetid smell, streaks of blood. The act of defecation is accompanied by pain in the abdomen.
  • General weakness, dizziness, headache develop on the background of intoxication syndrome.
  • The body temperature rises to 37,5-38 degrees, accompanied by chills.
  • Pale skin.
  • Tachycardia, palpitations, develops due to fluid loss.
READ  Dropper with alcohol intoxication at home: composition

Please note that in the case of botulism, symptoms may appear during the first two days. The patient developed impaired vision, weakness in the limbs, partial paralysis of the limbs.

What are the dangers of poisoning by mushrooms

The intoxication of the mushrooms can lead to severe disorders in the functioning of the whole organism. The main complications that can occur due to poisoning by mushrooms, described below.

  • Dehydration develops as a result of a massive loss of water and electrolytes with vomiting and diarrhea. It is accompanied by severe General weakness, atony of the skin, reducing the amount of produced urine and blood pressure levels, heart palpitations.
  • Acute or chronic pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas), which develops as a result of high intoxication. Acute pancreatitis manifests itself as a strong encircling abdominal pain, purple spots near the navel, high temperature. It is surgical pathology that requires immediate surgical intervention. Chronic pancreatitis is manifested by impaired digestion. He treated conservatively.
  • Gastritis – inflammation of the mucous membrane of the stomach. This disease can be caused by irritation of the stomach damaged by toxins of products. Most often, when mushroom poisoning develops exacerbation of chronic gastritis.

Please note that in the absence of treatment of poisoning with mushroom canned in 100% of cases leads to death.

First aid for the development of the disease

What to do in cases of poisoning by mushrooms? To treat this disease by yourself at home is very dangerous. The patient requires medical supervision and treatment. With the development of the first symptoms of poisoning should call the ambulance (SMP). Before the arrival of doctors you can start to save the patient.

The basic components of first aid in cases of poisoning by mushrooms is shown below.

Gastric lavage

The cleansing of the stomach is the first thing you should do if you suspect mushroom poisoning. It can help you to get rid of poor nutrition and prevent intensification of intoxication syndrome.

Remember that gastric lavage in the home is not available to children up to 3 years. They can choke and choke.

In order to wash your own stomach, you should drink a liter of plain water and snatch it. Such a simple procedure to significantly improve the health of the patient. For greater efficiency it can be carried out several times in a row.

Enema

Enema is performed for the removal of intestinal toxins and pathogens. At home it is best to use simple boiled water for washing the intestine. Its temperature should be room. Enema is conducted several times until a clean intestinal wash water.

Sorbents

Sorbents is mandatory preparations with the development of mushroom poisoning. Due to their structure they bind, neutralize and eliminate from the intestines of bacteria and toxins. They reduce the severity of intoxication, reduce diarrhea and the volume of fluid loss.

When providing first aid, you can use any of the sorbents. Before their appointment, check the expiry date and carefully read the rules for dosing. For some sorbents dose is calculated by weight and others by age.

The names of sorbents:

  • activated carbon;
  • sorbex;
  • APSCO;
  • smectite;
  • enterosgel;
  • white charcoal.

Drink plenty of liquids

After conducting gastric lavage, start to unsolder the patient. Fluid is necessary to the poisoned organism. You can drink alkaline mineral or table water, sweet black tea. The temperature of the drink should be at room.

In order not to provoke repeated episodes of vomiting, you should drink little and often.

Follow-up treatment

Arrived on a call the SMP team will examine the patient, collect history, assess his condition. Then the doctors will start rendering the first medical aid, which consists of:

  • the introduction of drugs that reduce nausea and vomiting (reglan, metoclopramide);
  • the performances drip with fluids to combat dehydration and intoxication;
  • antispasmodic drugs to relieve pain in the abdomen;
  • regulation of the cardiovascular system and respiration.

After stabilization of the patient, the doctors will be hospitalization to the nearest hospital where he will undergo further treatment and examination. Duration of stay depends on the condition of the patient, his development of complications.

In the case of botulism, the patient will be injected. The treatment of this disease is in the intensive care unit.

Prevention of poisoning

Poisoning mushrooms can be easily avoided. To do this you should follow the guidelines presented below.

  • Do not buy mushrooms at spontaneous markets or from hands. Buy them on the official markets and shops.
  • Check the date of manufacture of mushrooms, look at their appearance.
  • Thoroughly wash the mushrooms before cooking. Spend sufficient heat treatment.
  • To prevent botulism, do not eat expired canned mushroom or mushrooms from swollen and damaged cans.

Poisoning by mushrooms may be accompanied by pronounced intoxication syndrome and lead to serious complications. Its treatment is performed in a hospital. When the first symptoms of the disease, you should call an ambulance and go to hospital. Before the arrival of doctors you can clear the stomach wash the intestines, drink sorbents and water. The duration of treatment depends on the patient’s condition.