Lidocaine and alcohol: compatibility and interoperability
What happens if you apply lidocaine after alcohol
Every person sooner or later faces the need to use drugs. Traditionally consumed spirits during drug treatment prohibited. Many patients are concerned about whether compatible lidocaine and alcohol, and will cause their simultaneous use of any negative health effects?
What is lidocaine
A tool called lidocaine, which belongs to the group of anesthetic medications. The active ingredient is a hydrochloride of lidocaine, often used in medicine. The drug has antiseptic and analgesic properties that can remove the local pain by blocking nerve impulses in the brain.
The release form allows you to apply the product externally and internally. Intramuscular or subcutaneous injection, the patient may be dilation of blood arteries, however, the skin condition will remain unchanged.
Local use of the substance on any area of skin or mucous membranes leads to numbness and relieve the pain for a while. Lidocaine is often used in dentistry, surgery, gynecology and other fields of medicine. The substance is often prescribed to patients with heart rhythm disorders, as well as during surgical interventions.
The anesthetic is usually short, it lasts from 10 minutes to 2 hours, depending on the shape and the individual characteristics of each person.
Properties and anesthetic effect on the body
The medicine belongs to the group of acetanilide that can inhibit nerve fibres and block sodium channels. After about 5 minutes after application of the observed anesthetic effects funds can be preserved for some time.
The medicine is available in the following forms:
- spray or aerosol;
- eye drops;
- solution for injections;
- ointment or gel.
The product is used for various forms of anesthesia. Anesthetic is forbidden to apply:
- elderly people over 65 years old.
- when carrying a child;
- during breast feeding;
- in severe liver disease;
- patients suffering from cardiovascular diseases;
- after drinking alcohol, and hangover.
Sudden increase in blood pressure when combining alcohol and anesthetic is often observed in people prone to heart diseases. A hangover affects the pressure fluctuations and leads to a General malaise. That is why a medication can not be used with hot drinks.
Compatible with alcohol
At the same time to use the lidocaine with alcohol is not recommended. Penetrating into the blood stream, which already contains ethanol, the drug becomes the reason for acute renal failure, thereby developing various allergic reactions.
In addition, the interaction of both substances may lead to negative consequences:
- the increase in body temperature;
- intense itching of the skin;
- gag reflexes;
- the attacks of breathlessness.
What complications can occur when combining substances?
- If the patient is experiencing severe toothache, try to be treated with alcohol, and then turns to the dentist, you may experience shortness of breath. In this case, alcohol may enhance the effects of money and cause allergies in the form of impairment of respiratory abilities.
- The metabolites of alcohol, during the process of splitting the liver, begin to absorb useful minerals. If ethanol is combined with anesthesia, the liver can not cope with its function, leading to the further spread of the medication to the appearance of toxic effects or allergic reactions.
- The interaction of the substance with alcoholic beverages often leads to an increased load on the liver, provokes the death of cells of the body, as well as the development of toxic hepatitis.
- In addition, alcohol after lidocaine can slow blood clotting, which in turn leads to the formation of prolonged bleeding in the postoperative period. The use of anesthetics during surgical manipulations after drinking booze can result in bleeding wounds. In these cases, often requires repeated operations.
- Some varieties of spirits provoke the emergence of infectious contamination of wounds, and injure tissue.
Thus, on unprotected skin areas or the mucous membranes of the drug is not recommended: the consequences can be very unpredictable. That’s why experts recommended to be treated while in a sober state.
At the time of anesthetic treatment is prohibited to consume any drink, even alcoholic.
Health workers have the right to refuse the patient for anesthesia, if he paid them a visit, being in a drunken state or during a hangover.
Alcohol and lidocaine in the form of ointments
In the form of gel and ointments substance used externally. The drug has a local anesthetic action that partially addresses the sensitivity and pain on the damaged areas of tissue, but has no analgesic properties.
The drug is able to dissolve quickly on the skin and mucous surfaces. Most often this form of medication used in the treatment of wounds, injuries, skin damage.
The tool is able to facilitate health of the patient not more than 1 hour. The use of the drug in the form of ointments in most cases does not cause dangerous negative effects.
With the simultaneous use of alcohol and drugs people with excessive sensitivity of the skin there was a slight itching and burning, which, however, can be formed and a non-drinking people. First aid involves removing substances from the skin with water. If contact with eyes should be immediately flushed with water and seek medical advice.
Also, the gel should not be used in people with kidney pathology. During drinking of alcoholic drinks the medicine enters the blood stream and causes short-term respiratory arrest, provokes exacerbation of renal failure. This condition increases the chance of dangerous complications, including refusal of both kidneys, swelling, intense itching. The kidneys will cease to perform its main function is to excrete urine and toxic substances from the body that threatens human life.
Lidocaine spray and alcohol
This dosage form is used in medical institutions: dentistry, gynecology. The substance sprayed on the mucous surface, has the ability to quickly dissolve and remove pain.
Spray use during removal and dental fillings and other procedures. Use lidocaine on open areas of the skin and mucous surfaces, in conjunction with alcohol is prohibited. Strong drinks contribute to increasing the impact of medication on the patient, which causes a loss of breathing ability.
Means in the form of an aerosol is able to provide analgesic effect for 6-10 minutes. If during this period the patient will be choking, it could end in death.
Often the spray is used in medicine during surgery, suturing and other medical procedures. Women in a state of drunk or hangover, not worth the risk of occurrence of adverse effects and allergic reactions. You should postpone the visit to the gynecologist and get treatment sober.
Even sober people when using spray lidocaine may develop anaphylactic shock. Under the action of ethanol increases the likelihood of unpredictable complications.
In patients suffering from diseases of the heart and moved the alcohol the night before, the drug often leads to a sudden decrease in blood pressure.
Alcohol and injection of lidocaine
This form of substance is used intramuscularly and subcutaneously. People who are drunk, when making the injection is at risk:
- disorders of the brain, manifested in the form of hallucinations, dizziness, pain in the head;
- of mental disorders.
Initially, the patient feels euphoria and relaxation. Later they are joined by negative symptoms, often accompanied by emetic reflexes. Other negative consequences include:
- The rapid decline in blood pressure, tremor, convulsive disorders, and General poisoning of the body. If you notice such manifestations the patient needs to be hospitalized immediately and to carry out respiration. Time is not given medical help may lead to respiratory failure and spasms of the respiratory system.
- Spreads throughout the body is painful shivering, alternating with heat.
- In addition, the patient may worsen visual ability, experience double vision, flashing flies before the eyes.
Strong drinks often incompatible with medication. Therefore, each person needs to abandon the use of alcohol in the treatment. When sudden injuries or injuries incurred during the fall, you can use the drug in the form of ointments. However, it should not be applied to unprotected and mucous surfaces, as the consequences are impossible to predict.
Even a small dose of ethanol is devastating to health, poisoning of internal organs, impairing the nervous system and psyche. Therefore, treatment should be while sober.