Metronidazole and alcohol: effects of consumption and interaction
As metronidazole combined with alcohol
A wide therapeutic range metronidazole can be used for the treatment of many diseases caused by microorganisms. To get rid of bacterial pathologies should take the drug for a long time. What to do if you have already scheduled family activities, and the service arranged a corporate party? To combine metronidazole and alcohol strictly prohibits all specialists will certainly have an acute intoxication.
Characteristics of metronidazole
Despite the very widespread belief that metronidazole is irrelevant to antibiotics. The drug has Antiprotozoal and antimicrobial properties are not sensitive to most aerobic microorganisms. But this does not mean that you can afford a small portion of alcohol in the treatment of inflammatory processes.
Experts recommend postponing the treatment of diseases for some time, if it is used metronidazole, and man can not abandon the use of alcoholic beverages.
Antiprotozoal drug acts directly on the genome of microbes, which for the active reproduction does not need oxygen. Destroying the nucleic acid, metronidazole impairs the ability of unicellular organisms to survive in the human body. To the action of the drug is particularly sensitive:
- obligate anaerobes;
Metronidazole is used as one component of the vehicle and in the treatment of diseases caused by multiple strains of microorganisms. The drug is able to suppress the growth of beneficial intestinal flora, so during treatment should be a course of probiotics or prebiotics, bad combined with alcohol. What pathology can be eliminated by using metronidazole:
- Infections of the genitourinary system: pyelonephritis, glomerulonephritis, haemorrhagic cystitis, acute and chronic renal failure.
- Diseases of the gastrointestinal tract: erosion and other forms of gastritis, gastric ulcer and duodenal ulcer, duodenitis.
- Infection Giardia intestines, gall bladder, skin and mucous membranes.
- Abscesses in bone and soft tissue injuries and burns.
- Of sexually transmitted infections.
To drink alcohol after metronidazole is unacceptable, and in combination with chronic illnesses tend to have side effects only aggravates the situation. For example, in the presence of gastritis in humans, are formed of numerous ulcerations in the mucosa of the stomach.
The factors causing poisoning of the body
Interaction of metronidazole with alcohol will trigger symptoms similar to the symptoms of acute intoxication with spoiled food or the painful symptoms of hangover. Antimicrobial drug has a broad spectrum of side effects, which greatly enhanced when co-administered with alcohol. Such negative to the human body effects include:
- disorders of the digestive system: diarrhea or constipation, flatulence, bloating, lack of appetite, nausea, vomiting, sour belching;
- allergic reactions: redness, rash, itching, urticaria, swelling of tissues;
- headache, take the character of the headaches, loss of coordination, fainting, dizziness, reduced visual acuity.
In the medical literature described cases of allergic reactions in people who were not previously prone to them, after administration of metronidazole and ethanol. Some skin disease took a chronic course, difficult therapy.
Antiprotozoal drug is not recommended in the disorders of hematopoiesis. But many people think the metronidazole is a powerful antibiotic and is used for the treatment of acute respiratory diseases. Moreover, the medication used not only to eliminate the symptoms of a cold, before which he is powerless.
Sometimes people may not realize that taking metronidazole with alcohol. Many owners of the tomato and cucumber beds the plants are sprayed with a solution of the drug to fight against microorganisms that cause putrefaction in vegetables. So tearing from the garden a strong pickle for snack, it is useful to ask what was used for processing. Especially dangerous is the combination of metronidazole with alcohol under the following diseases:
- endocrine diseases: thyrotoxicosis, diabetes, adrenal disease;
- cardiovascular diseases: acute and chronic heart failure, cardiosclerosis, aneurism of the aorta;
- disruption of the urinary system: acute and chronic renal failure, kidney stones;
- pulmonary tuberculosis, bronchial asthma, pulmonary emphysema;
- malignant and benign tumors;
- gastric ulcer and duodenal ulcer in acute phase;
- liver disease in which decreases its functional activity.
Mental illness, metronidazole and alcoholic beverages – absolutely incongruous combination. The probability of seizures, accompanied by convulsions. The body will react to such intoxication, respiratory arrest or deep coma.
The mechanism of development of intoxication
Metronidazole refers to drugs which have severe side effects, poorly tolerated by people who are in good health. And in combination with alcohol the drug is not only significantly postpone the recovery, but also harm. Only a specialist advises you on how to take your pills and at what time. A course therapy with metronidazole for approximately 10-14 days, and at this time, the person often experiences nausea and pain in the right hypochondrium.
A few days before the start of therapy of bacterial diseases should completely refrain from drinking alcohol. After the treatment to drink alcoholic drinks it is impossible for about three days. This is due to the ability of tumours to accumulate in the internal organs.
Antimicrobial drug and alcohol use in a joint begin to interact with each other in one of the following ways:
- Ethyl alcohol will weaken the effectiveness of metronidazole that will postpone the recovery indefinitely. With long-term alcohol treatment will have to start again.
- Ethanol enhances the effect of metronidazole and its dangerous side effects. Will happen severe poisoning of the body, particularly affected the liver and the brain. After conducting detoxification therapy treatment again begins anew.
The drug is active in preventing the breakdown of ethanol by liver cells. Once inside the stomach, the drug is rapidly absorbed into the bloodstream and transferred to the biological filter. The liver in the body is responsible for the neutralization of toxic compounds, which include how metronidazole and alcohol. Under favourable conditions, ethanol would be split by enzymes to acetaldehyde and then to acetic acid safe and quickly removed the urinary system.
Metronidazole has the ability to prevent the metabolism of ethanol. The transformation of molecules terminated at the stage of formation of acetaldehyde, a toxic compound. In the human body begins to develop acute alcohol intoxication. Once in the blood, acetaldehyde begins to destroy the red blood cells, causing oxygen starvation of fabrics. The neurons of the brain in the absence of oxygen begin to break – the violation of the regulation of all vital systems. What will cause this condition is unknown, it all depends on the speed of the detoxification treatment or resuscitation.
Symptoms and effects of co-administration of metronidazole and alcohol
With the passage of course of treatment of metronidazole poisoning symptoms appear even after a SIP of champagne. If people allow themselves to drink more spirits, the consequences will be unpredictable. Most often develop symptoms such extensive intoxication:
- Disrupted Central nervous system, appear irritability, anxiety, emotional instability. The characteristic features of poisoning include feeling extreme fear for his life.
- Rapidly reddens the face and upper torso, the man thinks that his bursting from the inside.
- Increased body temperature, develops a fever.
- Mouth a metallic taste, stuffy nose, and sometimes ears.
- Retching did not stop, even when the stomach remains of food.
If failure to render aid to the victim the situation gets worse. In humans, increased blood pressure, increased heart rate, shortness of breath occurs. Often a person stops breathing, swelling of the brain and lungs. In these cases, the expense to save human life.
Treatment metronidazole chronic alcoholism
People in the family which no relatives with alcoholism, does not even suspect that metronidazole is used to treat addiction. Such therapy generally is characterized by the absence of any scheme and is performed from time to time, for example during prolonged binges. It is not only futile, but extremely dangerous – the body of an alcoholic is experiencing all the symptoms of chronic intoxication with metronidazole. What are the consequences of such treatment:
- Diseases of the gastrointestinal tract.
- Fatty liver, hepatitis, cirrhosis.
- Chronic renal failure, cystitis, nephrosis.
The alcoholic begins to thicken and stagnate urine in the urinary ducts. Warm and moist environment is a favorable environment for pathogenic microorganisms. Active reproduction of viruses and bacteria causes a strong inflammatory process in the kidneys, bladder and urethra.
Metronidazole, pours alcohol into food for a long period of time, provoking the death of the beneficial intestinal microflora. This causes chronic constipation and difficulties with the digestion and assimilation of food. Biologically active substances and microelements, which were previously absorbirovanija intestinal mucosa, now eliminated from the body unchanged. The alcoholic develops iron deficiency anemia.
Is it possible to treat metronidazole addiction solves only a doctor after a thorough examination of the patient and with his full consent. Therapy of alcoholism without the knowledge of the patient is doomed to failure. If you experience symptoms of intoxication should call the ambulance. While waiting it is necessary to wash the stomach of the victim, to give any absorbents. What’s next, will solve the doctor – if necessary, the patient hospitalitynet.