Nausea and vomiting: the difference between these definitions
What is the difference between nausea and vomiting
Nausea and vomiting often complement each other and are symptoms of many diseases. This can be a problem with the digestive system, the brain, infectious diseases, allergic reactions and other problems with health. These two phenomena appear to be a reflex and completely not amenable to regulation on the part of man. Some people think nausea and vomiting an unpleasant condition, while these two phenomena differ.
Nausea and vomiting – what is it
Nausea is an unpleasant condition that often is a precursor to vomiting. But this does not mean that nausea always ends with vomiting. Unpleasant feeling can occur at different poisoning, and also in violation of the food and toxicosis in pregnant women. If nausea is frequently observed in humans, it could be a symptom of dangerous diseases, such as AIDS, cancer, kidney disease, or chronic diseases of the gastrointestinal tract.
Vomiting – this eruption of food which is in the stomach, outside. And this happens not only through the mouth but through the nose. Persistent vomiting may be a sign of intoxication, diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, as well as a symptom of beginning toxicosis.
Very often nausea and vomiting observed in people with a weak vestibular apparatus when commuting.
The main causes of nausea
Symptoms of nausea are familiar to almost everyone, it is possible to define these points:
- There is a feeling of heaviness in the abdomen, chest and sometimes in the larynx.
- Developed dizziness, which is accompanied by General weakness.
- The man begins sweating profusely, with a fever.
The nausea could end up one time or recurring vomiting, after which there is usually a significant relief.
The main reasons that causes nausea in humans, it is possible to allocate:
- Poisoning by substandard food, drugs and toxic substances.
- Excessive intake of certain spicy foods or drinks, mostly alcohol.
- Infectious diseases during which occurs the poisoning of the body of pathogenic bacteria and their decay products.
- Overdose of medicines.
- Infection of the parasite.
- Persistent overeating.
- Prolonged constipation.
- Obstruction of the intestine.
- Some of the disease in General, heart attack, stroke, concussion, hypotension and disease, accompanied by fever.
Prolonged nausea should alert the person – this may be the first sign of a brain tumor.
If nausea occurs in the morning in women of childbearing age, this may indicate the onset of pregnancy. The feeling often when stress or sickness. What is most interesting is the fact that feeling of nausea, and then vomiting may provoke only a recollection of the unloved man food.
The mechanism of occurrence of nausea
In the medulla of the brain each person has a special center, the so-called gag. He takes the weak signals from neurons and provokes the start of nausea or vomiting. Even some memories of the unpleasant man the phenomena or products may cause the excitation corticobulbar afferent neurons that in turn activate the vomiting center. The team of this center such changes occur in the human body:
- Lowered the tone of the stomach.
- Dramatically reduced or completely stops peristalsis.
- The tone of the duodenum and small intestine sharply increases.
When a person exhales, there is a sharp contraction of the muscles of the peritoneum, when you inhale the muscles of the diaphragm and abdomen, too much strain, and the release of the oxidized content of the gastric cavity into the esophagus. When such cuts become long-term in nature, develops vomiting.
The reasons why vomiting occurs
Vomiting is a more complex phenomenon that always involves the nervous system. Causes of nausea and vomiting are identical. Retching always begin on a deep breath, before the brain sends a signal to the epiglottis, which closes, and the soft palate at the same time is lifted. This is necessary so that stomach content doesn’t get into the respiratory system, although a small amount of vomit still coming out through the nose.
The bottom of the stomach is greatly relaxed, but the esophagus, by contrast, is shrinking. The diaphragm and the peritoneum is reduced, whereby leftover food that was in the stomach, moving up and pour out in the form of copious vomit. When these reductions are too intense, then the digested food from the lumen of the intestine can penetrate back into the stomach, thereby causing an even greater attack of vomiting.
If vomiting does not stop within the hour, call doctor or immediately go to the hospital. This can be a symptom of the beginning of a serious disease.
The difference between nausea and vomiting is obvious, but both of these phenomena can sometimes be provoked by psychogenic reasons. It is usually peculiar to children of younger age and individuals who are characterized by high emotionality. These unpleasant phenomena could be the consequence of such situations:
- Increased anxiety or fear of some events. This could be an important meeting, presentation or a regular trip to the doctor. In young children can cause nausea can change children’s collective.
- Association seen products with something unpleasant. So, some people red wine resembles blood, that’s why this drink to the throat can approach anyone.
- Stress or conflict situation. Retching occur on the background of the development of hysteria.
- Long repressed emotions, whether joyful or sad.
- Mental illness. Retching is often observed in persons with unstable mentality.
Nausea and vomiting are almost always talking about some disorder in the body. But you need to remember that vomiting is a pretty dangerous phenomenon, since it quickly leads to dehydration and loss of electrolytes. This may contribute to the development of seizures, to reduce pressure, heart disorder and collapse.
Retching more dangerous because there is a threat of zahlebyvayas vomit. This most often occurs if the person lives alone or for patients no supervision.
How can you get rid of nausea and vomiting
Before taking any action, trying to get rid of nausea and vomiting, you need to find out exactly the cause of these conditions.
- If a person suffers from seasickness, before any travel, especially long distance, it is necessary to take special drugs, which are sold in pharmacies without a prescription.
- With overeating people should take special enzymes that will greatly speed up and facilitate digestion. The most popular drugs in this group are considered to be Mezim and festal. Abusing these medications, as there are a number of side effects.
- If the retching is caused by a poisoning with poor-quality food or alcohol, you should first make a gastric lavage, then make the adsorbents and to drink plenty of pure water;
- If these unpleasant phenomena are associated with infectious diseases, symptomatic treatment, which may include antibacterial agents, absorbents and probiotics;
- If a concussion or other such pathologies prescribe a comprehensive treatment, which includes intravenous and intramuscular injections.
Treatment of younger children is preferably carried out only in a hospital under constant supervision of medical staff.
If gagging were a single phenomenon, most likely, nothing serious. Perhaps the diet was too much oily or spicy food. When such a phenomenon occurs quite often, it is necessary to sound the alarm. Persistent nausea and vomiting may be the first symptoms of serious diseases.