Nausea, vomiting and fever in adults: causes, treatment
Why vomiting with fever in adults
Vomiting and fever in adults can be for different reasons. Most often it is diseases of the digestive organs, poisoning by toxic substances, or General infectious diseases of the whole organism. From such unpleasant conditions are not perfect, they can start suddenly, in the background of a seemingly complete well-being. A sick man can only guess about the true cause of the disease, comparing the preceding events. To accurately determine the cause of the vomiting, which is accompanied by fever, can only be the doctor, and he assigns the appropriate treatment.
Possible causes of vomiting in adult
Vomiting and temperature adult human, this phenomenon is quite unpleasant and it indicates a malfunction in the body. Vomiting occurs due to uncontrolled contractions of the muscles of the stomach and intestines, when the food found in the digestive tract is pushed out. All this is accompanied by acute pain in the abdomen and stomach and also regurgitation. Vomit urge is preceded by persistent nausea and weakness. People can’t control the process of vomiting, it occurs spontaneously and requires emergency treatment. The main reasons for the gag reflex are:
- Poisoning substandard products and toxic substances.
- Intestinal infection.
- Diseases of the liver and the urinary tract.
- Excessive consumption of alcoholic beverages.
- Brain damage, for example concussion.
- Diseases of the digestive tract – gastritis and ulcers. For this pathology vomit bile and blood impurities.
High fever and vomiting in an adult may indicate cancer diseases, so do not put off going to the doctor.
With vomiting, the body tries to be cleansed of harmful substances, microbes and decomposition products. The temperature may be dehydration or excess toxins in the bloodstream.
How to help
If a person is concerned about nausea, vomiting, fever, accompanied by General weakness, it is necessary to show the patient the doctor. At home, you can provide first aid to prevent dehydration and deterioration of state of health. The list of what you can do before a medical examination, as follows:
- If vomiting is a symptom of intestinal infectious disease or poisoning, then you need the patient to wash out the stomach. This can be done at home, but on the condition that the person is fully conscious. For the procedure take up to 7 litres of clean warm water or a weak solution of potassium permanganate. Give the victim to drink at a time to one and a half liters of fluid, and then cause vomiting by pushing on the base of the tongue.
- When the temperature is just above 37 degrees, antipyretics drugs are not used. For a sick just watching to not miss further increase in temperature. If there is nausea and a fever greater than 38 degrees – this is serious, the patient need to give paracetamol, ibuprofen or any other antipyretics.
When retching antipyretic drugs are given only in the form of pills that are pre-chopped or do intramuscular injections. To give syrups and effervescent tablets is not recommended, they have a lot of dyes, preservatives and flavorings that is bad for irritable stomach.
- To relieve acute pain in the stomach, you can give a man antispasmodics, for example, but-shpu.
- Provide the patient with abundant drink. To drink give small amounts but very often. Allowed to make compotes, decoctions of herbs, teas, and rice water with raisins. It is forbidden to give the patient with vomiting sodas, concentrated juices and dairy products.
- Person with vomiting, fever and pain in the stomach is placed conveniently to the side to avoid zahlebyvayas vomit. The window slightly open for fresh air.
It is important to remember that the temperature and uncontrollable vomiting – this may be the first sign of dangerous diseases such as appendicitis. The symptoms of this disease are complemented by sharp abdominal pain and severe weakness. On palpation of the abdomen you can feel some tension on the right side.
Making simple manipulation, may be suspected appendicitis. The patient is asked to pull right leg to chest, if the pain increases, then it is a signal to call an ambulance. The delay in this case is impossible, as may develop purulent peritonitis, which not only severely disrupt health and can lead to death.
Treatment in a hospital
When severe pain in the stomach and nausea, accompanied by fever, the patient, symptomatic treatment, whose order depends on the cause of the disease.
If the cause of the vomiting and the temperature was food poisoning, then first wash out the stomach using a probe. After that do a cleansing enema and give drink adsorbents. If necessary, prescribe antimicrobials or antibiotics. If there is dehydration, it is shown an intravenous infusion of saline and glucose.
If poisoning by toxic substances also wash out the stomach to remove the poison, then give the adsorbents. The patient is prescribed several heart medications and allow to breathe pure oxygen. Further symptomatic therapy.
If the cause of vomiting, temperature of steel liver disease, according to the testimony perform hemodialysis, appoint adsorbents and drugs that promote regeneration of liver cells. Gastric ulcer or duodenal ulcer therapeutic measures aimed at elimination of internal bleeding and rapid recovery of the mucosa.
In case of poisoning by vegetable poisons or drugs wash out the stomach and intestines, give the adsorbents and antidotes. For quick removal of toxic substances is shown forced diuresis.
If nausea, vomiting, and the temperature began after a head injury, then prescribed drugs that restore the cells and vessels of the brain. In addition, it is shown an intravenous infusion of glucose and saline.
If the cause of nausea and vomiting was appendicitis, shown urgent surgical intervention. The operation is performed under General anesthesia, the prognosis for timely treatment is favorable.
A grown man should not self-medicate with nausea, vomiting, and temperature. You need to go to the hospital for a full examination and correct diagnosis. Only a qualified doctor can determine the exact cause of illness and to appoint a suitable treatment.
What to pay attention
There are a few guidelines that should follow when providing first aid to an adult who suffers from vomiting and fever:
- If the poisoning occurred the burning of chemical substances, gastric lavage in the home is prohibited.
- If the body temperature below 38 degrees, then antipyretic drugs do not need to give.
- Patients should not be left unattended even for a few minutes, he can choke with the vomiting.
When vomiting occurs due to use of certain medications, you need to keep the packaging until the doctor to quickly diagnose.
Most adults are not very worried if they begin vomiting, which is accompanied by hyperthermia. In fact, you need to quickly consult a doctor, as this condition may signal the development of dangerous disease. In this case, every lost hour is not only health, but life.