Oleander: a poisonous plant or not

Oleander is poisonous or not

Oleander is a decorative perennial shrub that belongs to the family kutrovyh. With the Oleander is associated with many different legends. On one of them ancient warriors made long and smooth twigs of this plant dinner, and the next morning none of them woke up. A poisonous plant the oleander is often seen in dwellings and public institutions. This vegetation is blooming beautifully, therefore, becomes a unique decoration of any interior. Few people know that all parts of this flower are poisonous, and this property persists even in the dried raw material.

Characteristic plants

Of common oleander may look like a tree, height up to 4 meters, but most of the larger bushes that have shoots coming from the root. It is evergreen, in that period, when not in flower, resembles a young willow shoots. The bark on twigs stiff, brown or dark olive color.

Potted oleanders can reach a height of 2 metres. This large room the flower requires a large tub and not a flower pot. This plant grows fairly quickly, and with proper pruning has a very short time the lush Bush begins to bloom, delighting in its color family members and guests.

The plant has large leaves dark green, with petioles attached to the stems in groups of 3 pieces, Oleander comes in white, yellow and even red, but the most frequent colors are pink. The smell of the flower is very nice and unusual.

Oleander is considered a very poisonous plant, in all parts of this flower are poisonous substances – glycosides, oleandrin and inerin.

Room oleander lives no more than 15 years, but at a constant transplanting and rejuvenation of the plant, period of life can be significantly increased.

In what cases may a poisoning oleander

Of poisoning with this beautiful potted flower often occur out of ignorance. So you can suffer in such cases:

  • in case of accidental consumption of plant parts. This often happens with younger children who due to natural curiosity all pulling in the mouth;
  • improper care of the plant. If the juice gets on your hands, and then the man took his hands in his mouth or dirty hands food.
READ  Harmful aluminum cookware and what is the harm

In addition, all the symptoms of intoxication can occur and in that case, if the tub is in a small room and on the plant already has flowers. A sickly sweet smell may result in persistent headache, confusion and blurred vision.

It is worth remembering that severe poisoning can be the case even if the chew just a few leaves of oleander.

The signs of poisoning

Poisonous flower oleander in case of accidental ingestion causing these symptoms of intoxication:

  1. Person concerned about severe nausea that almost always ends with profuse vomiting.
  2. Slows the heartbeat and the person has shortness of breath.
  3. The consciousness of the victim confused, sometimes there is delirium.
  4. Eyesight and hearing deteriorate markedly.

Especially hard poisonings of this type occur in children of younger age who have a weak immune system and not yet fully formed digestive organs and the nervous system.

If the person who ate parts of the oleander, getting worse with every minute, it is urgent to call a doctor.

First aid

To avoid severe consequences, it is necessary to the victim to provide first aid rendered by this algorithm:

  • The stomach is washed. For this purpose it is better to use boiled, cooled water to which you added a powder of activated charcoal or potassium permanganate. The procedure can be performed as long as the waste from the stomach water is clean.
  • Patient give any adsorbents.
  • Before the arrival of the doctor to the victim give plenty to drink and monitor his condition.

People who are prone to allergic reactions, can be angioedema, so they immediately give protivogistaminnye drugs.

The victim is desirable in any case show the physician, as there may be late complications. If poisoned child and his doctor insists on hospitalization, you should not give up, baby should always be under the control of the medical staff.

If the juice gets on skin or mucous membranes, wash them a large amount of running water.

It is not necessary to wash the stomach young children at home, it can lead to severe dehydration.

The beneficial properties of plants

On the question of poisonous oleander or not, it is possible to give a precise answer that the plant is poisonous. However, despite the strong toxicity of plant raw oleander is used for the preparation of drugs cardiac group, which include cornering and serialin.

In addition, oleander has a pronounced antimicrobial action, in the room where the barrel with flower, greatly reduced the number of pathogenic microbes, particularly Escherichia coli and staphylococci.

The oleander is a flower with strong energy, therefore, it is desirable to put in the offices of large companies which to address important issues.

How to prevent poisoning

To prevent oleander poisoning, you should follow some simple rules:

  1. It is not advisable to put this flower in the children’s rooms, and also within the reach of small children.
  2. To take care of poisonous vegetation need gloves after pruning or transplanting flower be sure to wash your hands with soap under running water.
  3. Don’t bet the pot with this plant in small rooms where there is no proper ventilation.

Oleander, undoubtedly, will decorate any home, but it is not necessary to forget that the plant is very poisonous and can severely hurt your health. If you follow all the rules for the care, the oleander will delight the eye and bring aesthetic pleasure.

MAXCACHE: 0.48MB/0.00016 sec