Overdose and poisoning chlorhexidine

Is it possible to poison hlorgeksidinom

Chlorhexidine is an antiseptic that has long conquered the world. He has quite a wide range of applications. However, if you do not follow the instructions, the drug is potentially dangerous in a dental or ENT practice. This is due to the possible ingestion of the solution, which can cause poisoning hlorgeksidinom.

But in this case it is not critical because the intestinal tract does not take place the absorption of the drug. Even if somehow the man managed to swallow 300 ml of chlorhexidine solution bigluconate, then after 30 minutes in blood plasma is observed only 0. 206 µg/g chemical. It is expected that in the next 12 hours antiseptic completely excreted in the feces and urine.

Of course, consciously adults do not become. Often the solution is accidentally swallowed rinse the mouth or throat. The amount of hazardous liquid in this case is usually not more than 20 ml. But the kids are conscious, therefore, such remedy from them should be hidden. The treatment of this drug in Pediatrics is carried out with great care.

Applications

None of the methods of application chlorexidine does not imply oral ingestion. The drug is only used topically or locally:

  • in disinfection of surgical instruments, hands of medical staff;
  • for treatment of working surfaces;
  • for emergency prevention of sexually transmitted diseases;
  • as a remedy for urethritis and urethroprostatitis;
  • for the treatment of burns, purulent-septic processes, abrasions and cracks;
  • prevention of dental diseases;
  • in the treatment of ENT diseases.
READ  Mucus in the gut: the causes and methods of disposal

In all these cases, overdose hlorgeksidinom, as a rule, is not observed.

This files most often for pharmacological purposes use solutions chlorhexidine 0.05% and much less – a 0.02%. It can act as an active substance in ointments, suppositories, solutions and rinses for the mouth and throat.

Despite the General safety of medicines all the same during the rinse, getting inside, and in individual cases may start signs of intoxication. Therefore, during irrigation of the mouth and throat need to be extremely careful that the solution does not get in the gastrointestinal tract.

In addition, when applying the dental solution you should follow certain rules:

  1. Rinsing the mouth after meals and brushing your teeth preventive.
  2. Usually, one treatment uses about 15-20 ml of solution.
  3. After use, the tool must be carefully spit.
  4. After rinsing you should not drink water or eat.
  5. Any manipulation in the mouth can be done after 10-15 minutes after the procedure.

These simple rules will help not only to prolong drug action, but also protect from possible poisoning of the active substance.

Symptoms of intoxication

Every body is different, in contact with even tiny amounts of chlorhexidine in the digestive tract, you may experience these symptoms:

  • nausea;
  • headache;
  • body aches;
  • weakness, drowsiness;
  • severe vomiting;
  • the increase in body temperature;
  • frequent stools;
  • loss of consciousness.

Of course, one SIP of chlorhexidine solution should not be adjusted for the worst. In most cases in adults is not observed any symptoms. However, if this substance is swallowed by a child, the picture may be much worse.

Poisoning baby various chemicals can not only disrupt vital functions, but also create a threat to life. Fortunately, poisoning hlorgeksidinom has such severe toxicity and even in the pediatric practice has a favorable prognosis.

First aid for poisoning and precautions

Specific antidote (an antidote that stops or reduces the effect of harmful substances on the body) the drug has not. If it has happened swallowing, then you should make immediate gastric lavage.

READ  Can enterosgel pregnant: instructions for use in pregnancy

Experts recommend to dilute chlorhexidine, and to an even lower concentration, after falling into the gastrointestinal tract, drink plenty of pure water. Also shows the use of activated carbon or other sorbents.

If the poisoning occurs in the child, you can act in the same way as in adults, but it is better to do it under the supervision of a specialist. In addition, the development of the condition is better to prevent than to continue to deal with the consequences.

In Pediatrics are allowed to use only aqueous chlorhexidine solution with a concentration below 0.05%. If this rate is higher, then it should be diluted with distilled or cooled boiled water in the ratio 1:1. But if the child is not yet 6 years old, then breeding should be more careful (1:3). Any tampering with the solution the child should be under adult supervision.

Overdose, and side effects

This antiseptic deliberately produced in such a concentration that when using the drug, according to the instructions, overdose hlorgeksidinom unlikely.

Highly concentrated product, of course, can cause severe burns of the mucosa and lead to death. But free it is not so easy to acquire. Hlorgeksidin that sold in pharmacies, available in safe for health concentration.

However, when applying some patients have had side effects:

  • dryness of the skin;
  • rashes and itching on the skin;
  • increased sensitivity to light;
  • altered taste perception;
  • teeth darken;
  • is formed Tartar.

All side effects resolved by drug withdrawal and symptomatic treatment.

This active substance should be a caution for pregnant, nursing and children under 12 years of age because they are at particular risk. And nobody canceled the individual intolerance of the drug, so people with allergies it is also worth considering.

READ  POLYSORB vomiting in children and adults: instructions for use

Although if swallowed hlorgeksidin not so dangerous, like iodine or hydrogen peroxide, it is impossible to prevent it from entering the digestive tract. Poisoning from this antiseptic is unlikely and has a favorable prognosis. However precautions, especially in children’s practice, did not disturb anyone.