Overdose fenistil the child
What to do if overdose fenistilom
Fenistil is an antihistamine and antipruritic agent which is used orally and topically. International non-proprietary name – dimetindene. The drug belongs to the first generation is significantly different from the analogues included in this group, high activity and low number of side effects. Prescribed medication for allergic reactions of various etiologies of adults and children. Overdose fenistil can be failure to follow the dosage that is prescribed by a doctor.
General characteristics of the drug
Fenistil allows to stop the symptoms of allergies and itching. It blocks H1-histamine receptors. Histamine, which can no longer bind with specific receptors, no effect on the cells and substances that cause allergies, not produced by. Although drug and breaks the chain of pathological changes that activate the allergic process but the cause of the disease is not affected. Even when taking fenistil histamine continues to be produced into the bloodstream, not only causes an allergic reaction.
The medication comes in the form of 0.1% gel, drops and capsules for oral administration.
Fenistil in the form of drops is allowed to use in pediatric practice since 1 month of life. The dosage is calculated by the pediatrician based on the weight of the baby and the severity of the disease.
It is worth remembering that the drug depressing effect on the Central nervous system. Therefore, children under one year, it can cause respiratory arrest or sudden infant death syndrome!
The medication not recommended for pregnant women in the first trimester. Further treatment is possible after weighing all the possible risks to mother and fetus.
Fenistil enhances the depressant effects of tranquilizers and antidepressants. If the drug is used with alcohol, speed of psychomotor reactions are greatly reduced.
When possible overdose
Overdose fenistilom can only be by negligence or carelessness:
- by mistake exceeded the therapeutic dose prescribed by your doctor;
- the child found the package with the medicine and consumed a large amount;
- the drug was used as a suicidal means and is taken simultaneously with alcohol.
Antiallergic medication you can start taking only on the order of the attending physician and only in the dosage which he pointed out.
How many fenistil can lead to overdose
Using the gel for external use, it is very hard to overdose. The product is applied to limited areas of the skin with a very thin layer, up to 4 times a day.
If adults take drops, the daily dosage should not exceed 120 drops, which is divided into 3 doses. Increasing the amount of the drug will lead to changes in health.
Children dose fenistil drops are prescribed depending on the age and severity of disease. From one month to one year to 10 drops at a time, but no more than 30 drops per day. From 1 year to 3 years – up to 15 drops at a time, but not more than 45 per day. From 3 to 12 years to 20 drops at one time, but not more than 60 per day.
Fenistil capsules can be taken by adults and adolescents over 12 years. The dosage for these patient groups is the same and is 1 capsule per day. The effects of prolonged and lasts 24 hours.
While taking the medication over the specified dose develop acute toxicity, especially severe overdose fenistilom the child.
An overdose mainly occurs when excessive consumption of drops or capsules. The symptoms are quite specific and is associated with disruption of the Central nervous system:
- Observed lethargy, lack of response to stimuli, decrease of motor activity, abnormal drowsiness (often typical for adult patients).
- Causeless anxiety, motor and speech anxiety, hallucinations, dilated pupils, impaired mental status (true for children).
- Impaired coordination.
- The decrease in pressure and an unstable heart.
- A thirst that cannot be satisfied, and dry oral mucosa.
- Redness of the skin on the face, neck and chest.
- Malfunctions of the urinary system, there may be complete retention of urine.
- Hyperthermia to life-threatening values.
Although to date the country has not registered any fatal case from an overdose of fenistilom, theoretically this can occur due to respiratory paralysis or cardiovascular system.
What support is available to provide a victim
If a person experiencing the overdose fenistilom, then immediately to provide first aid, which looks like this:
- The patient is given to drink about a liter of water with addition of potassium permanganate or common salt, and then artificially induce vomiting by pushing on the tongue. Do the procedure several times to get rid of the medicine that did not have time to be absorbed in the mucosa. Young children, up to 3 years, gastric lavage in the home does not hold – it will quickly cause dehydration of the body weak. They washed the stomach only in the hospital through a special probe.
- Give the patient a saline cathartic, e.g. magnesium sulfate.
- Give any adsorbent that is in the house – APSCO, smectite, Polisorb, activated carbon.
Before the emergency be sure to call the doctor. Especially if intoxication is observed in the child, pregnant woman or elderly person. Be sure to show the doctor the package of drugs that caused poisoning. So the diagnosis and appointment of adequate treatment will be faster.
Treatment Protocol overdose fenistil in the hospital
If the patient’s condition is very heavy, it is delivered in medical institution and placed in the intensive care unit. Provide such medical assistance:
- Perform artificial respiration.
- Perform forced diuresis to accelerate the preparation excretion by the kidneys.
- Prescribe drugs for the treatment of neurological disorders.
- According to the testimony prescribe medications to normalize blood pressure.
- If there is tachycardia, prescribe β-blockers.
If necessary, symptomatic treatment is prescribed, which is aimed at stabilization of work of the bodies.
How to prevent overdose
Overdose fenistil may be consequences, but only in the case of a strong excess of therapeutic doses. This is usually the kidney failure, acute psychosis and a state of shock. All these effects require long-term treatment in hospital.
To prevent overdose fenistilom you must follow these rules:
- Do not store medication in an accessible place.
- Do not take the drug in conjunction with sedatives and psychotropic drugs.
- Do not drink alcoholic beverages during treatment.
- For the treatment of children do not use the drug in capsules.
- For the treatment of children under one year it is better to use antihistamines 2nd and 3rd generation.
- Do not exceed the dose prescribed by your doctor.
Allergy is a disease that is accompanied by unpleasant symptoms. To make life easier will help fenistil, but you can take it only on prescription and in exactly the prescribed dose.