Overdose of vitamin C: symptoms, consequences

Vitamin C – rules of admission, symptoms of overdose, treatment

Various vitamins takes most people, but often this occurs without medical supervision. The most popular among the population the drug is on all occasions is vitamin C, or ascorbic acid. To strengthen the immune system it is prescribed to children and adults with great pleasure takes the little yellow pills with a pleasant taste. It is believed that the overdose of vitamin C might have absolutely no health effects, however it is not so.

Useful properties of vitamin C

Vitamin C plays a role in all metabolic processes in the body. Its deficiency leads to tragic consequences for health. So, with a school course we all know that the lack of this vitamin causes scurvy, which is a severe disease and can lead to disability. The human body cannot synthesize vitamin C, unlike the body of many animals. The sources of arsenic in the body is mainly products of plant origin – fruits, vegetables, greens.

Ascorbic acid is responsible for such functions in the body:

  • regulates the metabolism of carbohydrates;
  • contributes to redox intracellular processes;
  • improves permeability of blood capillaries and strengthens their walls;
  • involved in the production of steroid hormones;
  • regulates the production of collagen and its analogues;
  • strengthens and restores the immune system;
  • helps strengthen bones and teeth;
  • involved in the regulation of blood clotting;
  • promotes the assimilation of vitamins A, b, E.

Ascorbic acid helps the person deal with stressful situations.

This vitamin is a natural oxidant and, therefore, increases the possibilities of the body, helps the healing of wounds of any etiology, prevents inflammatory diseases and slows the aging process.

Caution in the use of vitamin C

If vitamin C is applied strictly to the dosage prescribed by a doctor, the side effects are almost eliminated. However, it is worth remembering that there are groups of people who do prescribe this drug very carefully and the dosage count individually. Effects from an overdose of the tongue can be in such cases:

  • in case of any disorders of the urinary tract;
  • patients with diabetes of all types;
  • the people who need salt diet;
  • in pregnancy all the time;
  • in chronic hypertension;
  • when thrombosis.

Those people who smoke or drink alcohol need a high dose of this vitamin. Constant supply of ascorbic acid in the healthy human body is about two grams, and the vitamin supply in smokers and drinkers is almost completely absent.

Daily dose of ascorbic acid

Daily dose of ascorbic acid to prevent beriberi is: adults – 30-50 mg, children – 20-30 mg.

The maximum daily dosage of vitamin C for adults is 90 mg.

Taking vitamins, you should take into account the foods that are rich in ascorbic acid. If necessary, dose adjustments, not to get an overdose of vitamin C. the foods that are rich in askorbinka, include:

  1. Greens – parsley, spinach, dill, green onions, rhubarb;
  2. Cabbage – white, cauliflower, broccoli;
  3. All citrus;
  4. Sea buckthorn;
  5. Black currant;
  6. Tomatoes;
  7. Rose.

So, eating 100 grams of sauerkraut or fresh cabbage, one orange or a few spoonfuls of jam from sea buckthorn and currants, completely covers the daily requirement of ascorbic acid. If the products from the list are present in the diet constantly, then the vitamins.

Lethal dose of vitamin C is a tenfold increase in therapeutic dosages.

When can be an overdose and how to avoid it

Overdose ascorbic acid may be only in a few cases:

  • the uncontrolled drug. This occurs most often with children, which in large quantities are swallowed attractive pills;
  • if at the same time taking vitamin complexes and a large number of products that contain vitamin C;
  • abuse of vitamins in the autumn-winter period.

Quite often a chronic overdose, but her symptoms are mild.

To prevent overdoses, you need to keep vitamins out of reach of children, as well as to consider the menu. In the autumn-winter period in the table must be present fresh vegetables and fruit.

Before taking vitamin complexes should always consult with a doctor!

Signs of overdose askorbinka

Symptoms with an excess of ascorbic acid in adults manifest these changes in health status:

  • dizziness;
  • General weakness;
  • pain in the gastrointestinal tract;
  • indigestion;
  • heartburn;
  • rashes on the skin;
  • nausea;
  • severe vomiting.

When an excess of children of different ages may experience severe anxiety, causeless aggression, itching and small rashes on the skin, mainly in the bends of joints and on the abdomen.

Effects of hypervitaminosis

With a significant hypervitaminosis have serious health problems. They can put these conditions:

  1. Malfunction of the pancreas can lead to pancreatitis or diabetes.
  2. Diseases of the urinary tract.
  3. Chronic gastritis or gastric ulcer.
  4. Violation of assimilation of vitamins of group In, which leads to problems with the nervous system.
  5. The development of a strong Allergy to vitamin C.
  6. Persistent decrease in the number of leukocytes in the blood.
  7. In women of childbearing age gynecological problems.
  8. Hypertension.
  9. A bleeding disorder.

An excess of ascorbic acid in pregnant women can affect the development of the unborn child.

In some cases, excessive consumption of askorbinki pregnant threatened miscarriage.

Hypervitaminosis in pregnant women manifests these conditions:

  1. Pain in the stomach.
  2. General deterioration of health.
  3. Vomiting.

Also stop absorption of vitamin B12, selenium and copper, which is influenced by pregnancy. Pregnant women should not overuse vitamins, their excess leads to diseases of the fruit.

What to do if overdose

Ascorbic acid dissolves completely in water and because of this well excreted by the kidneys. If you suspect an overdose, then immediately cancel vitamins and give plenty of clean water. In the case of single use large amounts of ascorbic acid – more than 20 grams, the person shall immediately wash out the stomach and cause vomiting. Then give any adsorbents that are at hand. It can be classic or activated charcoal powder smecta.

Be sure to drink a lot of water for the withdrawal of the excess vitamin C from the body.

Ascorbic acid is very useful for prevention of infectious diseases during the winter period, to restore immunity after a prolonged illness, and for smokers and people consuming alcohol. But the unsupervised use of this vitamin or long exceeding the recommended dosage can cause severe health effects. It is very important to take vitamins only in dosages prescribed by your doctor, and make sure that children do not eat askorbinku without adult supervision. This will help to avoid hypervitaminosis and harmful effects.

READ  Overdose of L-thyroxine: symptoms, signs, treatment