Poisoning breastfeeding: what to do
Poisoning in the mother during lactation
After the baby was born, the young mother should pay more attention to their health, well-being, the regime of the day, personal hygiene, and a daily menu. Different pathogens can trigger a large number of nasty diseases that can cause discomfort not only to a nursing woman, but also her child. Such pathologies poisoning while breastfeeding.
The cause of the disease
Poisoning is a disease that occurs when the intoxication of malicious chemicals received orally or with food, or as a result of life activity of pathogenic microorganisms. The main cause of poisoning is often the use of substandard products, which violated the rules of storage, preparation, transportation. Most often provoke food poisoning milk and dairy products, poorly processed meat, eggs, pastries.
Poor quality processing and improper storage creating foods various harmful microorganisms: Escherichia coli, Staphylococcus, Salmonella. The most severe cases of toxicity in nursing mothers, provoked especially dangerous with chopsticks botulism and their toxic waste products of the botulinum toxin.
Signs of poisoning while breastfeeding
Poisoning is easy enough to distinguish from other diseases as it has few recognizable symptoms and signs. They can vary depending on what triggered the pathology and what was the power of intoxication.
The main symptom of poisoning in HS (breastfeeding) is a painful inflammation on the wall of the stomach or intestines. A nursing mother begins to feel discomfort after about a few hours after ingestion of poor quality food. Dramatically nausea and vomiting, flatulence, diarrhea, acute abdominal pain. Sometimes it may appear dizziness, and weakness.
In more severe cases, food poisoning breastfeeding, a woman can suffer from sharp rise in temperature, chills, weakness all over body, severe dizziness, uncontrollable vomiting, accompanied by extremely painful cramping and spasms in the body. In these cases you will need to call an ambulance, because such poisoning is very dangerous for its side effects: bacterial infection of the digestive tract and dehydration, leading to slow self-destruction of vital organs and tissues.
The longer you do not take therapeutic action, if the mother is poisoned, the more likely it is that each hour pathology will progress and become less amenable to safe treatment. With a slight case of poisoning can try to cope on their own, at home. If first aid measures have not helped during the day, and the condition remained unchanged or worsened, it is better to consult a specialist.
You need to stop lactation
Can I continue to feed the child breast milk in cases of poisoning? This question is of interest to many young parents, the answer will not be unequivocal. So much depends not only on the forms of disease and intensity of symptoms and signs, but also on what factor caused the formation and development of pathology.
If the disease has formed a one-off because of a single case of food poisoning as a result of normal mother’s inattention, the child is not threatened. Along with breast milk in case of poisoning moms will receive the necessary antibodies that will stand him in good stead that help strengthen the immune system. Will only need to pay more attention to personal hygiene, to infected food particles are unable in any way to get the baby. Mom will have to wash their hands often with soap and water, rinse with clean water and increase the time between applying the crumbs to the chest.
In the case of severe forms of the disease to breast feed in cases of poisoning should not be. By themselves, bacteria and toxins in breast milk can not get, so do not will cause the baby harm, but medicines for the treatment of severe forms of pathology contain a large number of aggressive active ingredients.
They are able to pass into the milk during lactation and can trigger a child’s emergence of many negative reactions, the consequences of which are hard to break. If the poisoning was caused by bacteria or germs, then its treatment will be prescribed medications is not compatible with the process of lactation.
To breast feed in case of severe poisoning with products of vital activity of pathogenic microorganisms is strictly prohibited this feeding can result in severe consequences.
First aid for poisoning
If poisoned a nursing woman, as measures of pre-hospital care possible to perform the following therapeutic manipulations:
- Lavage of the stomach. In order to get rid of pieces of food, causing poisoning and to prevent further intoxication of the organism, it is necessary to wash the stomach. This is done by using warm water with dissolved crystals of potassium permanganate is a versatile and safe disinfectant means. To drink this solution and need a lot of big gulps about a liter. This will provoke additional attacks of vomiting and, therefore, from the stomach out the remaining toxic substances. Washing you need to do until then, while leaving the cavity of the digestive tract, the water will not completely clean.
- Bowel cleansing. Because some pathogens manage to reach the intestine, even if the poisoning just a few hours cleansing should be a mandatory first aid. You can do enemas with a solution of potassium permanganate or tincture of decontamination of medicinal herbs such as, chamomile. It is important to remember that water should not be too warm. the main purpose of an enema to wash the intestines and not be absorbed inside the mucous membranes.
- Prevention of dehydration of the mother’s body. Because during diarrhea and vomiting out a large amount of fluid, you will need to fill. The best prevention of dehydration is to drink plenty of liquids during the treatment. In addition, a large amount of liquid will help to relieve irritation of the stomach and intestines, resulting in poisoning. As with the fluid come necessary for the functioning of the heart and blood vessels of salt, the better it will be to make a solution of product containing essential electrolytes, for example, regidron. To relieve the pain and spasm will help warm infusion of herbs: chamomile, calendula or sage. The use of strong sweet tea would be good to contribute to impaired digestion.
- The use of adsorbents. In order to speed up the process of absorption and excretion of toxic substances, the desired reception adsorbing drugs. They are able to absorb poisonous toxins and safely remove them from the body of lactating mother. You can take activated charcoal or replace it with a more efficient and effective modern analogue: enterosgel, filtrum STI, etc.
It is important to remember that the sooner will be dealt with the emergency, the faster a nursing woman will get rid of the effects of food poisoning.
In the most severe cases of poisoning need to see a doctor. The doctor will conduct additional diagnostic steps to determine which factor caused a threat to the health of the mother’s symptoms and find the treatment most effective drugs.
Pharmacological therapy of severe cases of acute food poisoning includes the use of the following drugs:
- antiviral or antibacterial agents, in cases where the results of the tests established that the cause of the aggressive symptoms and signs – the result of activities of pathogens. These drugs are taken in a certain dose of course under the supervision of a physician. In the case of insufficient selected farmcrest urgently selected analog synonymous or replacement;
- to treat food poisoning is impossible without the use adsorptive drugs. Any modern pharmacy has a large selection of such medicines, so you can pick up medicine in any convenient form of application: tablet (white coal, filtrum-STI), granules for solution preparation (smectite, use adsorbents) or colloidal gel (enterosgel);
- in case of severe pain recommended the use of antispasmodic drugs (no-Spa, Buscopan). They help to treat the root cause of the pain – irritable spastic contractions of the stomach or intestines.
The necessity of applying any medicines only installs doctor. During the treatment you need to strictly follow his instructions. This will help as soon as possible to get rid of illness and return to breastfeeding.