Poisoning detergents and cleaners: symptoms, first aid

Causes and symptoms of poisoning with detergents

The use of household chemicals greatly facilitates the life of modern man. He has a free time for sports or walks in the fresh air. But even these useful lessons will help to improve health, if it is poisoning with detergents. Condition can wear acute or chronic, dangerous for its hidden symptoms. To avoid difficult for the body consequences, you should consult a doctor for diagnosis and treatment of poisoning.

Distinctive features of poisoning

To detergents include household chemicals, which can be used to quickly clean the surface of kitchen furniture or sanitary ware, wash clothes. The main component liquids and powders are surface-active substances, including those used for disinfection. Such compounds are widely used for gentle cleaning of toilets, sinks, washing clothes.

One of the reasons for the poisoning refers to improper storage of detergents in the cupboard or on open shelves. Toxic compounds can evaporate even from a tightly screwed bottle or a sealed box. Settling in a fine mist on the plates, cups or pots, they can cause chronic intoxication.

Surfactants nonionic origin have important advantages:

  • good foam in water of any hardness;
  • wash the dirt even at low temperatures;
  • a small amount washes all the stains;
  • do not change the color of surfaces and clothing.

Anionic substances with good cleansing ability and are inexpensive. The effectiveness of such household chemicals has a reverse side – this is the most dangerous to human health connection. They gradually accumulate in the cells and tissues, causing chronic intoxication. Frequent use of powders or thick fluids causes symptoms of poisoning with detergents:

  1. Reducing the body’s resistance to infections.
  2. Dryness, irritation of the skin.
  3. Violation of the functional activity of the liver, kidneys, urinary tract.
READ  Tablets loperamide for diarrhea and diarrhea: instructions for use

Toxic substances often cause increase of cholesterol, which increases the risk of strokes and heart attacks. They reduce the ability of the Central nervous system to regulate the transmission of impulses to all systems of human activity.

Young children often find themselves in hospital beds after extensive intoxication detergents. Failure to comply with adult rules of storage of gels and powders leads to severe complications in babies. Child extremely attracted to bright packaging with storks and the ducks, colored labels, and bottles with unusual shapes.

Manufacturers add detergents additives with a fruity, chocolate or vanilla flavors. Small children take solutions for something delicious and you can drink a toxic liquid.

The child is just beginning to shape the immune system, increased permeability of blood vessels, otherwise than in adults, functioning internal organs. Even a minimal amount of concentrated toxic compounds can cause respiratory failure. The modern chemical industry began to produce household chemicals in the form of colored gel capsules. The kids can take them for gummies or candy. After the use of such «treats» develop severe allergic reactions, choking, burns of the larynx and gastrointestinal tract.

How is it possible to overdose detergents

Almost all washing powders and cleaning fluids that are used in everyday life, are toxic to human action. To avoid poisoning, you should carefully read the instructions on boxes and bottles. How to apply detergents when washing and cleaning:

  1. You cannot use more chemical substances to cleanse. Excessive concentration will provoke not only damage surfaces or clothing, but also severe consequences for the organism.
  2. Cleaners with oxalic acid and chlorine evaporate quickly with the formation of toxic vapours. Cleaning should be performed only in well-ventilated areas and the absence of young children.
  3. You should not mix a few detergent for maximum effect. The resulting chemical reactions the product may cause extensive burns of the skin and mucous membranes.
  4. You need time to get rid of the gels and powders, the shelf life has expired. Upon decomposition of ingredients creates toxins that cause symptoms of poisoning.

If after using the means for washing the skin is covered with red spots, it means that it contains corrosive. After some time spots can form blisters with liquid content – the typical symptoms of atopic dermatitis, intractable skin diseases.

Poisoning with a washing powder is due to the contained chlorine. Chemical manufacturers add a detergent to whiten clothes. In some countries it is prohibited to add chlorine in powders and gels because of the negative effects of the halogen on the human body. Excess dosage or wash in an unventilated room can cause such symptoms:

  • arterial hypertension, increasing heart rate;
  • hair loss, the stratification of the nail plate;
  • the lowered immunity;
  • irritation of mucous membranes: coughing, sneezing, allergic rhinitis, sore throat;
  • conjunctivitis, eyelid swelling;
READ  Is it possible for diarrhea to drink yogurt and other dairy products

If the air is significantly increased concentration of chlorine, develop symptoms of acute intoxication: painful spasms in the chest, tremor of limbs, respiratory disorders, hyperthermia, fever.

Especially dangerous chronic poisoning with poisonous substance contained in washing powder. Symptoms gradually:

  1. Irritation in throat, dry cough.
  2. Temperature rises slightly.
  3. There are runny nose and watery eyes.

All of these signs of taking people for a common cold and is treating with antibiotics, which does not bring relief, but causes intestinal dysbiosis. The accumulation of chlorine in the body of the victim develops bronchial asthma, chronic renal failure, hepatitis.

How to help the victim

At the first signs of poisoning should call a doctor and contact him for a consultation. He will tell you that can be done to alleviate the condition of the victim, how to give him first aid. If there is acute intoxication in a young child, it is better to go towards the doctor for a quick injection of the antidote.

During intoxication detergents with a high content of acid or caustic alkali is absolutely impossible to wash out the stomach. This will cause a double burn of the esophagus will cause difficulty breathing.

In other cases it is necessary to cause vomiting. This is weak-pink solution of potassium permanganate, which takes the victim to straying from the stomach water without admixture of food particles. Well help to bind the unabsorbed toxic compounds adsorbents or sorbents.

In acute poisoning the patient is subject to hospitalization to conduct detoxication therapy. Further treatment is carried out in stationary conditions, diuretic drugs and saline with glucose. After recovery, the victim needs throughout the month to stick to a sparing diet.