Poisoning with poisonous plants: signs, symptoms, first aid

11 poisonous plants symptoms of poisoning and treatment

In warm time of the year people tend to spend my free time outdoors. Some people like to collect various medicinal herbs and tasty berries. But sometimes the lack of knowledge in botany leads to the fact that along with healing plants, people gather and poisonous. Their use is fraught with serious consequences for health. Therefore, each should know at least a minimum list of dangerous representatives of fauna. But if a poisoning with poisonous plants has already occurred, you need to remember first aid measures first aid to the victim.

What plants are dangerous for health

Most often to taste an attractive plant or berries you want children. So every parent should not only know the list of poisonous fauna, but also to teach your child. Poisoning can cause:

  1. Belladonna. Compact attractive shrub has a high leaves on long stalks. During fruiting strewn with small delicious fruits. They contain atropine, which causes serious intoxication of the organism. Threat is the use of four berries.
  2. The castor oil plant. Has large leaves resembling the maple. Can be painted in green or red. Blooms maroon, or yellow flowers. The danger is the use of boxes with seeds, because it is in high concentration contains alkaloid.
  3. Milestones. A perennial plant that height can reach 1 m. Small white flowers are collected in inflorescence-umbrella. The smell of the seeds resembles celery. Toxic substances contained in all parts of the plant and their action is similar to strychnine.
  4. Hemlock. This plant is often used in homeopathy as a sedative and to combat cancer. Excessive dosage can lead to respiratory failure and reducing blood pressure to a critical level.
  5. Dope. The use of roots, leaves or fruits of plants leads to clouding of consciousness, the appearance of hallucinations. Looks undistinguished before flowering. Has a special beauty of flowers. They have the shape of a bell with a white or purple hue.
  6. Crow’s eyes. Poisoning by the berries of this plant can lead to death. The poison affects the nervous system and leads to heart failure. Blooms yellow flowers with a slight greenish tinge. At the beginning of August in place of flowers formed fruit, which looks similar to a blueberry. Plant height does not exceed 30 cm.
  7. Hellebore. Plant height up to 2 meters with a straight thick stalk. The leaves are elliptical in shape. Small inconspicuous flowers are collected in inflorescence-panicle. All parts of the plant contain alkaloids. They affect the Central nervous system, gastrointestinal tract and heart.
  8. Henbane. Plant of the family Solanaceae. Has elongated leaves and a thick stem. Flowers dirty-yellow hue. Contains a large number of alkaloids.
  9. Aconite (wrestler). Has of poison, causing complete paralysis. It is contained in the whole plant, but the most dangerous are the tubers and roots.
  10. Wolf bark. A shrub with slender rod-branches. On the bark you can see small brown spots. The lower leaves are glaucous. Blooms pink or white flowers. Contains dafnin. The greatest concentration is in the bark and the juice of the plant. Children often get sick after eating the attractive berries.
  11. Acrid Buttercup. It is a perennial plant with branched stems. Flowers has an attractive Golden hue. Sometimes the onset of symptoms of poisoning quite touching the plant. Appears lacrimation, cough, dyspnea. In severe cases, possible cardiac arrest.
READ  Thallium poisoning: symptoms, treatment

Poisoning by plants and mushrooms can have severe health consequences including death. It is therefore necessary to closely monitor the behavior of children during nature walks.

If you are fond of collecting medicinal herbs, be extremely careful. Learn how should look like a particular plant, its peculiarities. In the event of the slightest doubt, refuse collection.

What are the dangers of poisoning

Poisons of plant origin exert a toxic effect on internal organs. The severity will depend on the concentration of toxic substances and the specific type of plant. The disease can affect the following organs:

  1. Heart. The strong negative impact of such plants as the Lily of the valley, Adonis, oleander, and some others. Most lesions occur in excess of the dosage of drugs based on these plants. Quickens the heartbeat, appears the a-FIB, falling blood pressure.
  2. The Central nervous system. The danger of Datura, wormwood, milestones, henbane and belladonna. Their use leads to cramps, pruritus, manic state, manic disorders.
  3. The liver. It strikes Polygonum, Senecio, and heliotrope. As a result of action of alkaloids is loss of appetite, pain in area of right hypochondrium, vomiting and nausea.
  4. Skin. Some plants, such as Hogweed is able to cause burns and skin irritation. The danger of essential oils contained in the plant.

On the gastrointestinal tract poisonous plants has no immediate effect. However, often the poisoning is accompanied by vomiting and diarrhea. This is due to the immune response to toxins.

General symptoms of poisoning

Signs of acute poisoning vegetable poisons can vary depending on the specific plant. Most often, they appear after only 15 minutes after eating the poisonous plants. It identifies some of the common symptoms that often appear when the disease. These include:

  1. Headache.
  2. Weakness, a desire to sleep.
  3. Pain in the abdomen.
  4. Nausea.
  5. Vomiting.
  6. The bouts of diarrhea, which may be repeated many times.
  7. Loss of vision clarity.
  8. Hearing.

In severe cases, possible paralysis, which when untimely first-aid can lead to death.

If you find these symptoms, immediately consult a doctor. Only a specialist will be able to assess the victim’s condition and to develop correct strategy of treatment.

An accurate diagnosis could be made only after conducting a series of laboratory tests. But wait for the test results impossible, to start treatment must be immediately.

Event first aid

To avoid severe health consequences after poisoning, the victim should be immediately given first aid. You need to adhere to certain sequence of actions:

  1. Call for an ambulance. Only a doctor can assess the patient’s condition and take appropriate action. But wait his arrival impossible. Everything must be done to bring the remnants of toxic substances from the body.
  2. Spend a gastric lavage. This make victim drink a large quantity of lightly salted water. After induce vomiting by pushing the base of the tongue. This procedure is carried out several times until, until you can move away the clean liquid. For washing suit and a pale pink solution of potassium permanganate.
  3. Make a cleansing enema.
  4. Give the victim the sorbent. The simplest becomes activated carbon. But it will take a lot. For every five pounds of weight person should be taken one tablet. It is better to give preference to the more modern drugs, such as smecta, enterosgel, Lactofiltrum and others. If nothing at hand was not, feed the victim breadcrumbs made from rye bread. You need to eat about 100 grams.
  5. Before the ambulance man must lie in bed. On the head you can apply a cold compress. Make victim drink strong tea.

If the person lost consciousness as soon as possible to revive him. To do this, use the technique of mouth to mouth and chest compressions.

Treatment

Therapeutic measures are found to be in the hospital if the poisoning is severe. In a situation when there is a cessation of breathing may need artificial ventilation.

For removing toxic residues from the blood is assigned to hemodialysis. This is a procedure in which the patient’s blood is run through a special system of filters and back into the body. If the poison was not too strong, then you can do without it. In this case, the assigned medication.

Body cleansing is carried out using sorbents and IVS with magnesium sulfate. If there is Central nervous system depression recommended taking medications containing caffeine. In some cases, you may need receiving anticonvulsant medications, for example, barbamil.

The total duration of treatment varies from weeks to 28 days. During this time the body needs to be cleansed of toxic substances. At the time of treatment and for some time after the person will have to adhere to a dietary diet.

Prevention

In order to avoid poisoning the plants, it is necessary to closely monitor his actions and behaviour of children. Remember some basic guidelines:

  1. Try not to taste unknown plants or berries. If you are unsure about the edibility of a mushroom, not to tear it.
  2. Do not eat vegetables, or grain that was stored in inappropriate conditions.
  3. Do not take inside medicines made from medicinal plants of unknown origin. If they are homemade and you know exactly what raw materials were used, such means can cause severe poisoning.
  4. Do not leave children outdoors unattended. Before the trip, explain to your child that you can’t eat any berries or plants.
  5. Do not try to get rid of the signs of poisoning yourself. Always ask for help only to professional health workers.

Compliance with these simple rules will allow you to protect against poisoning and to avoid the negative health consequences associated with it.

Poisoning with poisonous plants – dangerous problem. Self-medication in this case is unacceptable. Don’t risk your own health and well-being of their children.