Poisoning with rat poison in dogs: symptoms, treatment
What to do in case of poisoning with rat poison dogs
Poisoning with rat poison in dogs are very dangerous. It can lead to rapid death of the animal. In this article, we discussed what to do if a dog ate rat poison, the underlying causes and clinical manifestations of poisoning, ways of its treatment and prevention.
The causes of poisoning
By itself, rat poison has a distinct odor. But manufacturers of poison for rodents give it a tempting meat flavor, which can attract not only mice and rats, but also dogs.
The dog may eat the poison, or a rodent, which he had previously poisoned. In both cases, the poison gets into the dog’s body, and absorbed into the bloodstream through the mucous membranes of the stomach.
Rat poison can spread out to kill the dogs suffer from this, not only the homeless but also Pets.
How does rat poison on the body of the dog
If a dog ate poison, or a poisoned rodent, her body starts to undergo severe pathological changes. Most poisons are available for killing rats, affect all body systems of the animal, and lead to a painful death.
Below are the main components that may come in rat poison, and the peculiarities of their action on the organism of a dog:
- Rodenticides (anticoagulants) – these substances get into the organism of an animal, affect svorachivanie blood. They contribute to the development of massive internal bleeding, can cause hemorrhagic stroke.
- Krysid is one of the most dangerous poisons for dog body. It causes Central nervous system damage, development of pulmonary edema, congestive heart failure.
- Phosphide of zinc – affects the digestive and nervous system.
Please note that for poisoning the dog requires a very small amount of poisonous matter (a few mg).
The main clinical symptoms of poisoning with rat poison in dogs
In cases of poisoning with rat poison in dogs symptoms may appear during the first few hours. With the exception of rodenticides. When you use them, the first clinical signs can appear a few days later.
Remember that puppies are more sensitive to rat poison, the symptoms they develop much faster. A lethal dose of poison for a puppy less than an adult dog.
If the dog ate a poisoned mouse, the time of onset of symptoms can be a little bit more.
The table below presents the main symptoms of poisoning with rat poison, depending on the active substances:
|The name of the poison||The main symptoms|
If your pet has swallowed a poison for mice, the treatment should be conducted in a veterinary clinic. When the first symptoms of intoxication should include the animal to the vet. If for some reasons you just can not do (are out of town, no nearby convenience of the veterinary hospitals), try to help him yourself. Your actions will help the dog to live up to the vet.
Please note that to give the dog potent drugs without a doctor’s vet dangerous. The dosage for the animal is different from human. Also you will not know what chemical reaction will take poison and drug.
First aid for poisoning dogs consists of the following:
At the first signs of poisoning, get the dog a bowl of food. The digestive system needs rest. There can be started after the permission of the veterinarian.
Wash the stomach of the dog. To do this you need a syringe with a volume of 20 ml. of the jet Enter the animal into the mouth of the water, and click on the root of the tongue to provoke vomiting. Puppies and small dogs pour 20 ml of water, medium — 40ml, large – 60-80 ml. do Not add water any medication, herbal teas or potassium permanganate. For gastric lavage simple approach, water at room temperature.
Remember that potassium permanganate, even in small concentrations, can cause burns and toxicity of the mucous membrane of the esophagus and stomach of the animal. Now this substance is banned, but still many are included with the home kit.
Spend a colonic enema. For flushing, take a baby enema bag, 50-100 ml. Fill the enema with plain water at room temperature, and enter her dog into the rectum. Then, wait until she goes to the toilet, and repeat several times the procedure.
When performing the enema in dogs can be a problem – the animal is accustomed to defecate in the street on hold after the enema, and beg for a walk. In this case, you will have to withdraw, or take out (with severe weakness) a dog in the yard.
Sorbents are substances which bind and excrete toxins.
Give the dog to drink the sorbent. Everyone in the Cabinet are charcoal. Calculate dosage for an animal as for a person: 1 tablet per ten kg of body weight. For example, if its weight is 5 kg – you’ll need all right, and if 50 kg – 5 tablets. Don’t be afraid to slightly exceed its quantity, it is better to let the pet drink a little more sorbent than less. For example, if the animal’s weight 17 kg – give him 2 tablets.
To force the dog to swallow a pill easy. Best of all, the required amount of Activated carbon chop, and dilute in 10-15 ml of water. Such a solution, enter it in the mouth through a syringe. If she spat out a remedy – try again.
If you have a veterinary sorbent, and you know the rules of its metering, can use it.
Drink plenty of liquids
Water dog, you need to make up for water loss that occurred during vomiting and diarrhea, and to relieve intoxication.
The animal should drink regular carbonated water. Dogs need every 10 minutes to fill in the mouth with 10 ml water (if the dog is tiny – 5 ml).
Please note that if your dog is poisoned by rodenticides is to wash out the stomach and intestines are prohibited. This may exacerbate internal bleeding. Put the dog on a starvation diet, drink, and give her the sorbents.
What is the treatment at the vet
A veterinarian will first examine the animal, and measure his vital signs (pulse, blood pressure, saturation, body temperature). The owners should tell the doctor about what happened with the dog: when it happened, what symptoms appeared first, what first aid was rendered to the dog.
In cases of poisoning by rodenticides injected them with the antidote – vitamin K. In all other cases, treatment is symptomatic and aimed at elimination of the poison from the body, restoration of water and electrolyte losses, treatment of complications in the internal organs. It can consist of the following groups of drugs:
- sorbents ;
- saline laxatives;
- heart medications;
- solutions for intravenous rehydration;
If your pet is in a serious condition, it will leave in a few days in the hospital. In the case of stable well-being of the dog, the doctor will explain to you what to do, and will tell you when to come to him for injections, drips and inspection.
Examination of the animal
To identify complications of the internal organs and systems, the veterinarian may prescribe a number of laboratory and instrumental examinations:
- Common blood test will help to identify the hemolysis of red blood cells, anemia.
- Urinalysis is needed to diagnose kidney damage.
- Biochemical blood test is conducted to determine the health of the pancreas, liver and kidneys.
- Ultrasound examination (ultrasound) of internal organs can help to identify acute their defeat.
- ECG, ECHO of heart is shown in the development of heart failure.
- X-rays of the head – if you suspect a hemorrhagic stroke.
A veterinary clinic may not have sufficient equipment to conduct this research, and you will be sent to another veterinary hospital for complete diagnosis.
Prevention of poisoning
Poisoning with rat poison in dogs often end up dead. It is much easier to avoid contact of your pet with this poison. Below are tips that will help:
- Walk with the dog on a leash and with a muzzle. So you can be sure that your pet will not raise anything from the ground.
- From an early age, teach your dog that there is something with land is prohibited.
- If the room where you live, it is planned deratization (destruction of rodents), take the dog for a while in another house (to relatives, friends, or boarding at a veterinary clinic).
- In the village forbid the dog to run around the barns, cellars, chicken coops. There she can find dead, poisoned mice.
Poisoning with rat poison in dogs leads to severe disorders in the internal organs of the animal and in the absence of medical care, to death. With the development of the first signs of poisoning take your pet to the veterinary clinic. There he will render first aid, conduct examination and prescribe treatment.