Repeated frequent vomiting in children: causes, treatment
Causes and treatment for frequent vomiting in a child
Vomiting – a protective reaction of the organism. Along with the vomit of the bowel are excreted poisons and toxins, trapped along with poor quality food and water. The mechanism of vomiting, when the stomach fall toxins, the vomiting center lead to constriction of the walls of the body, with the result that particles of food thrown out. Frequent vomiting in a child can occur for various reasons, but if you have such symptom should consult a pediatrician or therapist.
What causes vomiting
Allocate a number of reasons for which there is repeated vomiting in children:
- Diseases of the abdominal cavity, which require surgical treatment (e.g., appendicitis). Such diseases are accompanied by severe nausea, vomiting, pain in the abdomen. In addition, violations of bowel function, there is stagnation of food in the digestive tract, the stomach swells, and its walls become very strained.
- Viral hepatitis that affects the liver of the child, accompanied by frequent vomiting which brings no relief. Usually in this case vomit have green.
- Acetoneiso syndrome that occurs in diabetes due to improper diet and other reasons. Vomit have a sharp unpleasant smell of acetone.
- Rotavirus infection is often accompanied by repeated vomiting.
If vomiting appeared once, the reason for this may be harmless factors. For example, colds or diseases of the nasopharynx otharcivatmi sputum may compress the root of the tongue and cause a gag reflex. At night the child may vomit due to severe fright, overeating, coughing.
To ease the child’s condition, give him a glass of warm water, calm him down. He was then placed on his side and watching him before falling asleep. If the morning a few times vomiting, consult your doctor.
Causes of vomiting in infants
A constant vomiting in a child under one year (repeated up to 10-15 times a day) may indicate a congenital defect of the gastrointestinal tract, and disorders of the Central nervous system. Sometimes the appearance of vomiting in a small child is not so dangerous reasons. For example, it may be caused during feeding, when the mother gives baby the inappropriate age mix. In any case, you need to be hospitalized.
Because of frequent vomiting occurs very rapid dehydration in infants. As a result, appear convulsions, begin to shut down internal organs, which can lead to death.
Until about the age of three all children spit up food. This condition does not harm the baby’s health and is a natural process. To prevent regurgitation of the child take on hands, pressed his head to her breast and stroking along the back from top to bottom. But if this process occurs constantly, you should consult a doctor to exclude pilorospazme.
If vomiting in children under 7 years
Periodic vomiting in a child of preschool age (till 7 years) often speaks about infectious diseases of the gastrointestinal tract. In addition, a night vomiting can be caused by severe intoxication, or parasitic lesions.
When infected with parasites or pathogens is observed not only vomiting, but also severe pain in upper abdomen, diarrhea, slight fever. The appearance of vomit occurs closer to the morning and consists of undigested food particles, bile, and phlegm. Be sure to call for an ambulance, and in most cases require hospitalization of the baby. Therapy in a hospital setting lasts until full recovery of the child.
In the preventive purposes children are given antihelminthic drugs two times a year. Most often, infections with worms are observed in autumn and spring, so medication is recommended to give at this time. Children older than 7 years is enough to give anthelmintic drugs once a year.
Varieties of vomiting in children
Repeated vomiting in children can be caused by a number of reasons. But its definition is necessary to pay special attention to the color and contents of vomit. They come in several varieties:
- Vomiting with mucus. This symptom is typical for infants and is considered normal. This reflex is called overeating, and mucus appears because of getting sputum from the lungs and bronchi in vomit. In older age this pathology occurs after ingestion irritating ingredients (analgesic or antipyretic drugs). In addition, it is a symptom of chronic gastritis.
- Vomiting with impurities bile has a greenish tint. Sometimes the color of the vomit is yellow or green. This symptom is caused by overeating, eating too much oily/spicy food, intoxication.
- Vomiting blood, the child is considered to be very dangerous condition. If there is such a symptom, the child must be hospitalized urgently. Because this symptom often indicates internal bleeding in the digestive tract. It can be caused by a stomach ulcer, ingress of foreign bodies in food. In infants, this phenomenon is sometimes called the blood of the mother from the nipple in the mouth of the baby along with the milk.
When blood impurities of al, a high probability of lesions in the oral cavity. And vomiting in this case is the result of ingestion of blood. But when the impurities have a dark brown color, it is said that the blood was coagulated under the action of hydrochloric acid. So, the affected stomach or duodenum.
If repeated vomiting caused by food poisoning (when the mother knows what the child could be poisoned), then the sequence of actions should be as follows:
- Perform gastric lavage with the aim to clean the toxin. To do this in 2 liters of warm water dissolve the 2 tsp of salt and soda. This solution should be given to drink the child – it needs to consume approximately 2 cups.
- After that, the baby lies on his right side, about 5-10 minutes should occur a gag spasm, due to which he starts vomiting. If not, the procedure is repeated.
- Induce vomiting and possible artificially to shove 2 fingers in your mouth. However, the child must do it yourself, so if it is small, this procedure is not suitable for him.
If vomiting appears periodically the baby until 7 months, he must be constantly monitored. It is impossible that he was lying on his back, as this may cause choking – vomit are thrown into the Airways, and because of the lack of air the baby dies. The child is placed on the right flank and lifts his head. It is better to keep it on hand. Anyway, it is necessary to consult a doctor.
After another vomiting mouth washed with boiled water. In children the mucous membrane of the mouth is still very weak, so under the influence of hydrochloric acid from the stomach on its surface can cause sores. To perform the lavage of the oral cavity with a syringe or a large syringe without the needle.
When vomiting every 30 minutes, an urgent need to call an ambulance. This symptom may indicate serious pathologies of the gastrointestinal tract. But before the arrival of doctors child should be given as much fluid as possible. Otherwise there are high chances of dehydration. As a result, can deny the vital internal organs which sometimes even leads to death. It is impossible to give the baby a sweet drink. Under the influence of sugar increases flatulence. Dairy products are also not recommended, because milk is an excellent medium for microbial growth, including pathogens.
Treatment of vomiting in a child
You cannot give children medication without a prescription. Some drugs that are not age appropriate can lead to side effects or cause acute intoxication. Although in most cases the doctor prescribes the following medication:
- Motilium. It is an effective remedy for vomiting, which is suitable for children older than three years. The tool blocks the vomiting center, so the urge to stop.
- Reglan. The preparation is suitable for infants and older children. The indications for its use are disorders of intestinal peristalsis, and pyloric stenosis. The tool eliminates vomiting, regardless of causes of its occurrence. However, the drug has a number of contraindications, so it is not available without a prescription.
- Aluminium phosphate gel. This is quite a popular tool that is used to relieve inflammation on the gastric wall. Suitable for children over 6 years.
- Smectite. It is used to relieve the vomiting spasm. This sorbent, which unites and rids the body of poisons and toxins. Under its influence calms irritable bowel, decreasing gas formation. A similar effect on the body has, and activated carbon.
No-Spa is also suitable for treatment of intoxication, and symptoms, in particular vomiting. The remedy is indicated for children weighing more than 40 kg. the Drug relieves spasms of smooth muscles.
The use of folk remedies
Frequent urge to vomit can be removed with the help of medicines folk medicine. However, use them with caution. Before their reception it is recommended to consult a doctor. Effective following methods:
- Helps dill water. To prepare it, take 1 tsp of seeds and plants pour 250 ml of boiling water. Capacity then put in a water bath and cook for 20 minutes. Leave the tool to cool down, and then filtered. The child is given 1 tsp. of the drug every 15 minutes. After the attack of vomiting the baby needs to drink 2 tablespoons. This folk medicine is not only effective but also safe. Has no side effects, so is suitable for children of any age.
- Strong green tea is also very good. However, you cannot add sugar. To improve the taste you can add honey, although softer impact on the stomach tea without taste, but not all kids want to drink. You can brew a batch of green or herbal tea (Linden, chamomile and other medicinal plants).
- Very tasty and a useful remedy for vomiting is quince. It is effective both in fresh and in cooked form. You can simply grate or bake in the oven.
- Persistent vomiting in a child with an impurity of bile treated with peppermint. To do this, take 2 tbsp. l. crushed leaves of plants pour a glass of boiling water. Insist for 2 hours and then filtered. Baby give 1 tsp of medication each hour, repeating the process 5-6 times. The plant is characterized by a choleretic effect on the body, neutralizes cramps.
If vomiting does not stop for more than a day, be sure to give the baby to drink plenty of liquids to avoid dehydration. At home you can also make a tool that helps to restore water-salt balance. Its impact on the body, it resembles regidron. For making funds take 0.5 tsp. of baking soda and salt and pour it in a liter of water. In the received solution add a few crystals of potassium permanganate (potassium permanganate) and 4 tbsp sugar. Make the tool immediately after cooking in small SIPS throughout the day.
When should I consult a doctor
As a rule, vomiting from food poisoning stop immediately after the gastric lavage. Even if after the procedure the condition of the baby deteriorates, a doctor’s consultation. Baby it is advisable to show the surgeon who will eliminate the disease, receding surgery. You should also check the baby at the gastroenterologist, which should exclude ulcer, liver disease and duodenal ulcer. Call the emergency assistance needed in these situations:
- Vomit contains blood particles, what indicates serious lesions of the gastrointestinal tract.
- The vomiting occur too often, once in 30-40 minutes. This condition can lead to dehydration child’s body, with potentially serious consequences.
- The body temperature rises, the child becomes very lethargic and weak, he could rave.
- If, prior to the vomiting bouts of the baby fell from a high distance, which caused a head injury. The symptom may be indicative of concussion or closed intracranial injury. In such cases, the child’s treatment may be carried out only in hospital.
You cannot treat the child at home without doctor’s advice. This can lead to very serious consequences, including fatal baby.