Retching and nausea without vomiting: causes, treatment
Causes of nausea without vomiting
Feeling of nausea in an adult is an uncomfortable feeling in the stomach. Thus, the body gives signals about problems in the gastrointestinal tract or nervous system. The nausea can be a reflection of gastric disorders after consumption of stale food and a manifestation of serious diseases. That is the causes of nausea without vomiting different. This pregnancy, bowel disease, poisoning, digestive disorders, liver disease and others.
The mechanism of occurrence of nausea
The feeling of nausea associated with the vomiting center when it contractions in the stomach, but the act of vomiting is not yet fully formed. In case of irritation reflexogenic zones of the impulses to the vagus nerve that causes the gag reflex. Receptors are in the stomach and intestines, pancreas, tongue, gall bladder and ducts, liver, walls of the pharynx, kidney, bronchi, and uterus.
Why there is constant nausea without vomiting
There are several major factors leading to the occurrence of nausea, which is not accompanied by vomiting:
- Gallbladder disease. In case of cholecystitis and dyskinesia nausea is more common during a meal or after it. Simultaneously, it can be a pain in the right hypochondrium. The person may feel a metallic taste in the mouth. If the nausea, reflex vomiting, it does not bring relief. If you encounter these symptoms should consult a gastroenterologist, who should send for ultrasound of the gallbladder and liver.
- Diseases of the stomach. These include gastritis, gastroduodenitis, ulcer. Nausea in these cases is often observed on an empty stomach or after a meal. It may be accompanied by cutting pains in region of stomach, burning sensation and severity. Possible regurgitation of acidic contents, and rumbling in the abdomen. In this case you need to refer to a gastroenterologist, who will prescribe further examination. It may include a gastroscopy, blood test for detection of antibodies to Helicobacter pylori, ultrasound.
- Diseases of the pancreas. Nausea often occurs after ingestion of certain foods (e.g., fatty, spicy or fried), as well as after drinking alcohol. Simultaneously, possible severe pain at the top of the abdomen, which shoots up the left arm and back. Observed changes of the chair — it may contain undigested food particles. Diagnosis will require an ultrasound and blood biochemistry.
- Hypertension. In this case, the nausea is accompanied by dizziness and headache, you may experience hearing impairment, chest tightness. Often patients complain of the presence of «flies» before the eyes. In this case, you need to consult physician and cardiologist. From additional methods of examination require General blood and urine tests, and ECG.
- Disorders of the vestibular apparatus. Such diseases can be some of those for their detection need to consult the audiologist and neurologist. Nausea in this case is accompanied by dizziness that occurs when changing body position, also, the patient sometimes starts to tear. There may be noise in the ears. In some cases patients are not ears pop when changing pressure (for example, when flying on an airplane).
- Of kidney disease. Periodic vomiting can occur in acute pyelonephritis, and its appearance does not depend on food intake. Simultaneously, the lower back pain and increased body temperature. Treatment deals with the nephrologist. In acute and unexpected onset of the disease should immediately contact the ambulance.
Nausea can be a manifestation of various diseases. But not is by trying to diagnose myself, it would be correct to refer to a specialist.
Nausea liver disease and stomach
The most common gastric nausea is often caused by low pH and reducing gastric motility. In this case it occurs after eating and is associated with the nature of the food. Nausea in the stomach may occur in cases of acute exacerbations of chronic disease.
Nausea liver disease, is a characteristic symptom of almost all hepatitis. Moreover, frequent nausea without vomiting is a permanent condition in liver cirrhosis. At the beginning of drug-induced hepatitis, it appears always and is one of the main symptoms. In some cases, nausea may be a reaction to the reception of a specific preparation. Especially this effect is a result of tetracycline, trihopol, indomethacin and all medications with the lithium content.
If simultaneously there is pain in right side and nausea, all accompanied by chills with profuse sweating – it is typical symptoms of cholangitis. In diseases of the gallbladder nausea appears quite often, especially in violation of the diet. Therefore, in chronic forms, there are clear recommendations about food.
Causes of nausea in the morning
Constant feeling of nausea in the morning is not only a female symptom, as many believe. The reason for this phenomenon is not necessarily pregnancy. This condition can appear in men and women due to many factors. Morning sickness often accompanies a hangover. As a result of excessive consumption of alcoholic beverages in the stomach produces a large amount of hydrochloric acid. In addition, the process of decomposition of ethanol are allocated poisons and toxins. The liver is unable to filter and excrete, because too many of them. This morning there is an unpleasant feeling of nausea, which is accompanied by severe headache, dizziness, decreased appetite.
Another reason for morning sickness – intravascular dystonia. Accompanied by severe headache, tinnitus, visual impairment. This disease occurs in chronic form, and requires skilled medical treatment.
Also, morning sickness often occurs due to migraine. Moreover, in this case, nauseated starts mainly when there is a headache. Usually this condition occurs immediately after awakening and during the day passes.
Retching without vomiting often observed in people suffering from high blood pressure. The unpleasant symptoms usually appear in the morning and pursue the patient for the entire day. In the period 8-14 hours by the adrenal gland produces specific hormones which increases the level of sugar in the blood, which leads to spikes in blood pressure.
Medication on an empty stomach also often leads to a long sickness. Therefore, in the use of tablets it is necessary to observe the user manual. If they cannot be taken before meals, then to do this in any case should not be.
Nausea during pregnancy
Pregnancy most women accompanied by a state of toxicity caused by poisoning of the health of expectant mothers toxins that may be released during this period. If you experience constant nausea without vomiting and other symptoms, predominantly in the morning, high probability of pregnancy. In this case, it is recommended to be examined by a gynecologist.
Toxicosis may appear during the delay of the critical days in early (5-6 weeks) of pregnancy (then it is called early), and can manifest itself in the middle of the second trimester or even the third (late toxemia, which is also called preeclampsia in pregnant women). In most cases, nausea in the morning during pregnancy is accompanied by additional signs.
There are three different States: mild nausea (up to five times a day, mostly after eating), frequent (up to 10 times a day, with weight loss) and excessive, which may result in harm to the health of future moms.
Characteristic symptoms of toxicity can be considered: weight loss, accompanied by a steady loss of appetite, flow of saliva, weakness and drowsiness, depression. In rare cases, can develop a variety of dermatitis, bronchial asthma, and also osteomalacia (softening of bone) and some other diseases. Skin rash (dermatitis) due to toxicity can cause an unpleasant itchy feeling and spread over large region, up to the genitals.
There are several main reasons that can cause toxicity in women:
- As a result of the fertilization process in the female body shifts that affect the condition of the pregnant woman and can cause toxicity.
- The same applies to the protective mechanisms of the body: severe nausea and vomiting the girl in this case is aimed at protecting the fetus from the negative factors (cigarette smoke, caffeinated beverages).
- Undertreated infections also cause toxicity due to the weakening of the immune system of a pregnant woman.
- Emotional and psychological state of the expectant mother also greatly affects the lack of toxicity or apparent manifestation. It can be strong emotions, lack of sleep or just moral unpreparedness for pregnancy.
Signs of toxicity are approximately the 14th week of pregnancy, but nothing can be predicted. And the onset and end of morning sickness occur in each woman individually.
Causes of nausea in the evening and night
Periodic nausea night appears often, while it can provoke a variety of reasons. Often this condition is associated with overeating. Food is easier to digest in an upright position of the body, and if the person falls, this process is hampered. In particular, poor health is observed in those cases, if dinner was filling, contained fatty foods.
Besides the urge to vomit without vomiting can be the result of poisoning. It can cause the intake of poor quality food, exposure to harmful chemicals, overdose of medications and other factors. If poisoning is very serious, it is also accompanied by vomiting and diarrhea.
Dysbiosis also leads to nausea, mostly in the evening hours. The disease is associated with disruption of the balance between beneficial and harmful bacteria in the gut. In this case, it is necessary to restore a microflora.
Diagnosis and treatment nausea without vomiting
Unexplained nausea is a nonspecific symptom of many diseases, so diagnosis is carried out when there is a combination of several symptoms. So nausea in the stomach is accompanied by complaints of pain and heaviness in the right hypochondrium and stomach. Neurological examination is essential if it is accompanied by headaches and loss of coordination.
At low pH or abnormal function of the stomach nausea can be removed by drinking mineral water with lemon juice. Reflex nausea often relieved by menthol or a pill of validol. In rare cases, introduce a small dose of benzocaine. To use medications to relieve the symptoms can only under the recommendation of the doctor, after determining the cause. When lung disorders nausea usually goes away by itself.
To reduce the symptoms of morning sickness, you must follow some rules:
- In the morning do not dramatically get out of bed. You can eat a handful of nuts, crackers or slice of bread.
- Often sour fruits (lemons, oranges) help to quell the feeling of nausea. A similar effect has ginger.
- The temperature of the food should be at room.
- Exclude from the diet fried, spicy, pickles and something that is poorly digested. It is recommended to eat fish, eggs, beans and grains, nuts, chicken without skin. Food should be boiled or steamed.
- In the morning on an empty stomach is recommended to drink a glass of water. In General you should consume more liquids (water without gas, chamomile and green tea, fruit drinks).
- After another meal it is not recommended to take.
- You should regularly walk in the fresh air, and to ventilate in front of the rest room.
There are many other methods that can make symptoms of morning sickness less severe. Sometimes in addition to, use such effective tools as aromatherapy, homeopathy or medication.
For the treatment of dysbiosis doctor prescribes probiotics and prebiotics. Because the disease can occur as a result of taking antibiotics, the drugs are prescribed simultaneously with their consumption. However, the doctor chooses the such drugs of these groups that contain enzymes and microorganisms that are resistant to antibiotics.
To self-medicate is not. If nausea and unexpressed are rare, cause for concern should not be. But if the nausea constant, urgent medical examination.