Sleeping pills with alcohol: the consequences of use and a lethal dose
The danger of taking sleeping pills medicines with alcohol
Often people take sleeping pills with alcohol if you experience stressful situations, when I want to at least briefly disconnect from all problems. Relatives of patients with alcoholism, use this combination to relieve the acute withdrawal syndrome to rest from the aggressive family member. But not everyone knows that while the use of alcoholic drinks with hypnotic drugs there is a mutual strengthening of the effects, which can lead to unpredictable consequences. Joint reception of tablets with the soporific effect and even small amounts of alcohol sometimes causes death.
The combination of alcohol with drugs: possible reactions
Any combination of drugs with alcoholic beverages is strictly prohibited. Regular aspirin, taken by people to remove a hangover, can cause dangerous stomach bleeding. But in this situation the person is conscious and is able to assess the level of danger of the situation. When co-administered hypnotic drugs and ethanol to realize the threat will not work, and it appears very serious.
A dangerous mix of alcohol and tranquilizers cause drowsiness, use suicide to take one’s own life. After falling asleep they will not be able to change your mind and eliminate the cause of poisoning yourself or with the help of a doctor.
The combination of alcohol with drugs, with hypnotic effect, can make the body react differently than it was originally intended:
- the drug will trigger an intensification of the effects of ethyl alcohol;
- alcohol will increase the hypnotic effect of the pill, not forgetting about the side effects in the form of a crushing headache.
Manufacturers of drugs have provided the development of the situation. They supplied the packing with capsules detailed annotations, which warned consumers about the inadmissibility of the joint appointment.
For patients in state of alcoholic intoxication and needing surgery anesthesia is not having the desired effect. Before the doctors face the dilemma: to operate or not. Overdose anesthetics may cause respiratory failure, which is unacceptable. But to cut impossible due to the safety sensitivity of the tissues.
Characteristic features of sleep-inducing drugs
To cause drowsiness, certain medications affect the Central nervous system, affecting different parts of the brain. The severity of hypnotic action is in direct proportion to age, health status, and predispositions to action of the basic substance and included in the pills ingredients.
Carefully read the paragraph annotation details are listed side effects. There are a huge number of tablets and capsules for the treatment of chronic diseases, which cause drowsiness. During the joint drinking alcohol side sedative effect of drugs can increase several times.
Drugs for a quick sleep are two mechanisms of therapeutic effects on the human body:
- Depress the Central nervous system. The dream man is an alternation of various phases. For some, it becomes deep, others superficial. Also react differently to the originating neurons: aktiviziruyutsya or do not exhibit their functional properties.
- After taking sleeping pills advance upset: rhythm, duration and sequence vary considerably. No wonder people after taking the pills for sleep do not feel rested, overwhelmed. The impression that the person is not asleep at all.
Sedative effects have not only drugs that are synthesized directly for this. Tranquilizers, antihistamines, antidepressants, to varying degrees, contribute to relaxation and rapid sleep. Here are some of these drugs:
- Imidazopyridine. Used to treat insomnia, and the rolling bearing situational character, including frequent awakenings and difficulty falling asleep. Drugs of this series are dispensed from pharmacies only by prescription.
- The barbiturates. Have a dampening effect on the Central nervous system. The therapeutic effect can vary from a mild calming effect to the point of anesthesia. Currently, their use is severely limited because of the dangerous toxic properties of the main ingredients. Was diagnosed many cases of overdose, including fatal. Proven development of drug dependence to these drugs.
- Anti-allergic medicines. Even if the manufacturer is positioning the tablet as a new drug, does not cause drowsiness, you should look into the annotation. The list of side effects this medication is in the first place.
- Benzodiazepines. Previously widespread drugs, now they are not recommended by specialists to treat. The resulting sleep is superficial, overrun with nightmarish visions. After such a dream the person needs extra time to recuperate.
- Melaxen. The drug is not addictive, speed of falling asleep, reduces the number of nocturnal awakenings. A characteristic feature of melaxen is a good morning well-being, as well as the ability to adapt the human body to change time zones.
Neurologists often recommend for insomnia cyclopyrrolone, modern drugs to create sleep close to physiological. But drugs act on the Central nervous system throughout the day, therefore, many patients notice a mild block.
Sleeping pills with alcohol rarely in isolated cases. A feeling of lightness in the head and possible solutions to all problems, the absence of anxious thoughts quickly become a form of addiction. Habit to relax in a similar way repeatedly ended with the death of a person. It had no relationship to suicide, people just started to gradually increase the dose of alcohol or sleeping pills to enhance the effect.
Why do people take sleeping pills with alcohol
Even if you have problems falling asleep, a person with a healthy psyche idea to wash down sleeping pills a fair portion of alcohol is unlikely to come to mind. Do not have a good understanding of the mechanisms of action of toxic compounds to understand – a lethal dose can be any amount of mixture. In the absence of suicidal people use explosive cocktail in the following cases:
- The lack of physiological sleep. Common cause of problems falling asleep is any neurological disorder. What for one person can cause deep feelings for the other – a mere trifle. People who are prone to suspiciousness, have serious problems with sleep: Wake in the night and don’t sleep a wink until the morning from swarming in my head of the thoughts. This condition lasts for several days or weeks causes the development of somatic diseases. One can feel one desire – to sleep. So start to take alcoholic drinks to the hypnotic, gradually acquiring a heavy dependence.
- The withdrawal syndrome. Crapulent person experiences all the symptoms of extensive intoxication: nausea, vomiting, headaches, tremor of the limbs. To relief the condition he tries to sleep, but alcohol is a very insidious – the ingestion of ethyl alcohol excites the nervous system. The use of hypnotic medication may lead to irreversible consequences of the body, as the bloodstream circulates unabsorbed ethanol.
If you take sleeping pills with alcohol for a long time, the active ingredients begin to be deposited in the tissues. The subsequent acceptance of even one pill often leads to overdose. The same situation will provoke a response of your body when the person ceases to experience sedative effects from the previous dose.
Sleeping pills and alcohol is often used by relatives to subdue violent alcoholics. Tired of the countless shouts and threats, they secretly pour the crushed pill into a glass of vodka. This is extremely risky because in some cases the effect may be unpredictable:
- an alcoholic doesn’t go to sleep, becomes aggressive;
- damaged by prolonged intake of alcohol heart can not withstand the load and stops.
At home to treat a hangover or to calm an alcoholic ambien is strictly prohibited because of the impossibility to predict the result. In hospitals use special blend of sedative and supportive products only with the appearance of human alcoholic delirium, or delirium tremens.
Symptoms and effects of intoxication
Not even a synthesized drug with soporific effect, which could be taken with alcohol. A deadly combination of causes not just the symptoms of severe poisoning, but also severe neurological disorders. The severity of symptoms depends on the adopted on the eve of food, health and, of course, the amount of ethyl alcohol and sleeping pills. What most often happens:
- Disrupted gastrointestinal tract: nausea, vomiting, diarrhea.
- Reduced tactile, muscle, and tendon reflexes.
- Appear dizziness and unsteadiness of gait, clumsiness in space.
- Occurs emotional lability, apathy, weakness
- Decreases blood pressure, slows the heartbeat.
In this condition increases the risk of falls, head injuries, fractures and injuries. Sometimes people go to sleep, leaving the stove kettle or the pot, forgetting to turn off the fire.
Prolonged use of sleeping pills with ethyl alcohol disrupts the Central nervous system: reduced sleep quality and progressive mental disorder. One can become a professional and some domestic skills.
Before you decide to drink alcohol sleeping pills, should know how works this combination. Develops extensive intoxication of the liver and brain accompanied by deformation and cell death. Violation of the regulation of all vital systems and cause death.
The first symptoms of poisoning should be a signal to call the ambulance. While the doctor is in the way, you need to do to the victims:
- To wash out the stomach. Dilute potassium permanganate in warm water and give to drink to a man. Induce vomiting to discharge clean water.
- If the victim is unconscious, should turn him on his side so he wouldn’t choke on the vomit.
- Make a strong sweet tea and water poisoned, give him any adsorbents or sorbents.
In overdose to help the victim can only be in the hospital. Man hooked up to a ventilator, will be held detoxification therapy. The patient will need long-term rehabilitation and advice from the psychiatrist and the neurologist.