Tablets loperamide for diarrhea and diarrhea: instructions for use
Loperamide for treatment of diarrhea
Loperamide helps diarrhoea, which always starts at the most inopportune moment. Many people with this illness have to adjust their plans, cancel trips and important meetings. The drug normalizes bowel function and eliminates unpleasant problems in the short term. But before applying you need to carefully study the annotation, as there are a number of side effects and contraindications.
General characteristics of the drug
Loperamide anti-diarrheal refers to means that reduce the tone and motility of the intestine, due to the strong reduction in the production of prostaglandins and acetylcholine. This increases the residence time of feces in the cavity of the intestine and to improve the tone of the sphincter, resulting in reduced frequency of urination in the toilet.
Loperamide for diarrhoea is available in conventional tablets, capsules, soluble tablets, solution, and syrup for children. Liquid varieties of medicinal medicine is easy to give to children and patients who have difficult swallowing, the elderly and bedridden patients.
Special instructions about the storage of the medicinal product no. The instructions say that to keep the medication you need at a room temperature not exceeding 25 degrees.
Should periodically review the expiration date on any medication that in the spring, and replace them.
Tablets loperamide diarrhea prescribed for acute and chronic disorders which may be due to various factors. The drug is indicated for the complex treatment of conditions such as:
- diarrhea due to allergic reactions;
- disorder due to the strong stressful situations;
- diarrhea during therapy of some drugs;
- bowel disorder in radiation disease;
- diarrhea due to sudden changes in diet;
- when irritable bowel;
- diarrhea of different origin, which is accompanied by a loss of mineral substances;
- diarrhea, which is caused by inflammation;
- severe diarrhea that may face severe complications;
- for normalization of stool in people with ileostomy.
Take loperamide for diarrhea, which is caused by infectious diseases, exceptionally in the role of additional drug, the effects of which are aimed only at reducing severe symptoms.
How to drink medicine
If you have diarrhea that is caused by poisoning and other reasons, the initial dosage for adult patients is 4 mg, then drink 2 mg of medication after each bowel movement. The maximum allowable daily dose should not be more than 16 mg. In chronic diarrhea, the initial dose is 4 mg, and then calculate the number of such support to the bowel occurred no more than two times per day. Dose set individually, it should be from 2 mg to 12 mg per day.
If acute diarrhea is observed in the child, loperamide prescribed depending on the age and weight:
- 2-5 years – 1 mg (this is one half of tablet) three times per day;
- 6-8 years – 2 mg (one tablet) twice per day;
- 9-12 years – 2 mg (one tablet) three times per day.
If on the second day of therapy the diarrhea has not stopped, the tablets against diarrhoea start to give at the rate of 1 mg per 10 mg mass. The daily dosage should be no more than at the beginning of treatment.
In acute diarrhea in children who already have 5 years as a first aid give 2 mg of the medication at once, then the same amount given after each bowel movement, but no more than 8 mg per day. Chronic diarrhea in a child for the first time give one tablet, and then calculate the dosage. The maximum allowable daily dose should not be more than 6 mg per 20 kg of body weight.
If diarrhea does not decrease after 2-3 days of treatment, we urgently need to see a therapist or a gastroenterologist to pass a series of tests and appointment of adequate treatment.
Have a remedy against diarrhea there are a number of contraindications, which necessarily consider before the appointment:
- Individual intolerance of some components, which are part of medication.
- Suspected intestinal obstruction.
- Peptic ulcer disease.
- Polyps on the intestine.
- Infectious diseases of the digestive tract – dysentery, salmonellosis, cholera and enterocolitis.
- The first three months of pregnancy and nursing.
- Do not give to children under 2 years loperamide diarrhea tablets or less than 6 years in capsules.
- Special conditions under which unacceptable constipation.
- It is forbidden to drink the drug, if the stool occurs bleeding.
- When persistent constipation.
Liver failure is considered a relative contraindication to the destination. For this pathology loperamide is allowed to use only under the supervision of a physician. If during therapy the satisfactory condition of the liver, the medication can safely be used. At the slightest deterioration of loperamide canceled and the correct treatment.
During pregnancy and breastfeeding loperamide can be prescribed by a doctor only in exceptional cases, when the expected benefit significantly exceeds the potential harm.
Side effects of loperamide a lot. In the long admission for diarrhea can be observed disorders of the nervous system – disorders of coordination, dizziness, drowsiness and stupor. Violations by the gastrointestinal tract, flatulence and abdominal pain, vomiting and persistent constipation. Often an allergic reaction, especially in people that have hypersensitivity. Can be a rash hives or flushed, and also anaphylactic shock.
If there is any disorder in health, immediately stop the treatment with loperamide. In severe States to urgently go to the doctor because you may need specific treatment.
Failure to comply with therapeutic doses or for improper storage of drugs, within the reach of small children, may experience the following overdose symptoms:
- disturbed coordination of all movements;
- abnormal drowsiness;
- narrowed pupils;
- increases the tone of the entire muscular system;
- disrupted breathing;
- can be intestinal obstruction.
In severe poisoning may be the malfunction of organs and systems, which often leads to unconscious state, and sometimes coma.
Treatment of overdose
At the first sign of overdose immediately call an ambulance until the arrival of the doctor first aid to the victim. Algorithm of actions the such:
- The stomach is washed, a large amount of clean water. If there is manganese, that can be cooked slightly pink solution that washes out the stomach more efficiently.
- Give the adsorbents in accordance with the attached annotation.
- If the patient has impaired breathing, perform a range of resuscitation.
If overdose is significant, it is necessary to urgently introduce to the victim the antidote, which is the drug naloxone. When the condition does not improve after some time the antidote is administered again.
Arrived doctor show packaging of the drug, which was triggered by poisoning. This indicates the approximate amount of pills used. At the time of the assistance the effects of an overdose are completely for a few days.