The snowberry white: poisonous plant or not plant
Poisonous or not white snowberry
The snowberry is a perennial plant belonging to the family caprifoliaceae. Graceful shrub, with round berries of the white color stands out against the background of other cultures and is widely used as a decorative. Many will remember this unusual shrub, which after the subsidence of the leaves remain juicy, loud popping results. Quite often people wonder, snowberry white poisonous or not? Despite the attractive appearance, the plant is considered dangerous and can cause poisoning.
The snowberry is one of the most beautiful plants, which are snow-white berries are food for birds. Its genus includes about 15 species: some species of snowberry are pink, red and even black berries.
Deciduous shrub native from America reaches a length of up to 1.5 meters and has long, thin stems and small florets.
The fruits can remain on the Bush almost all winter, for which the plant got its name.
The leaves of snowberry oval-shaped, length up to 5 cm, the flowers are small pinkish corollas, blooming from late spring to early fall. A kind of round fruit, with a diameter of 1 cm, collected in the brush, and contain two seeds. The berries ripen in early autumn and can survive the frost.
Undemanding plant survives well in different conditions. Often the snowberry planted as hedges or used in a single planting as decoration of suburban areas and flower beds. I believe that the berries of the shrub are toxic due to high content of alkaloids, but not capable of inflicting much harm to an adult. However, when consumed in large quantity can cause severe intoxication, especially in children.
The chemical composition of the shrub little studied, so the Bush is rarely used in folk medicine. However, the inhabitants of North America, aware of its disinfectant and antimicrobial qualities, used the fruit, leaves and bark to treat wounds.
The crushed leaves are often used for healing ulcers on the hands, packs of crushed fruit – from burns and cracks on the skin. Furthermore, infusion of bark of snowberry gargle, the decoction used for the treatment of tuberculosis, venereal diseases, menstrual pain, colds, pathologies of the stomach.
Despite this, to use the plant without consultation with a specialist should not be.
How dangerous snowberry
Burst white berries of snowberry had, perhaps, each of us – it was a favorite pastime in childhood. However, despite the seeming harmlessness, the plant is poisonous.
The white berries of the shrub unpalatable and inedible, so they accidentally poisoned impossible. This occurs most often with young children, who, because of their age, can try the beautiful white berries on the palate.
Whether the poisonous snowberry white? Part of the plants in addition to sugar, mineral salts and acids, part a toxic substance saponin, can cause intoxication.
The snowberry poisonous and can cause poisoning, but considered dangerous only for people. Many birds, mice and rabbits eat its fruits, which serve as their main food for them and are considered harmless.
Symptoms of poisoning
The mortal danger to human life Bush is not. However, the eating berries in large quantities can cause the following symptoms:
- gag reflex;
- burning sensation in the mouth and throat;
- pain symptoms abdominal paroxysmal character;
- disturbance of consciousness, lethargy;
- a feeling of weakness;
- indigestion in the form of liquid stool;
In contact with toxic substances on mucous membranes and skin experience the following symptoms:
- irritation and redness of the skin;
- local swelling;
- painful feelings, the intensity of which depends on the lesion, duration of the poison and the individual characteristics of the victim;
- in the absence of treatment may experience inflammation.
In contact with skin first aid consists of washing the affected areas with water. For internal use the patient must carry out symptomatic therapy. For this victim make gastric lavage, give activated charcoal, or a glass of milk to counteract that. When a serious condition, accompanied by the faint, poisoned transporterowych immediately to a medical facility.
To prevent intoxication from poisonous berries, you need to remember about the main safety rules: not to eat unknown fruits, and not to leave children unattended for a long time.