What happens if you drink or eat bleach

Consequences of the use of chlorine

In household bleach is found in two types – liquid and in the form of lime. It is usually used in the composition of cleaning agents for bleaching clothes. The active ingredient in bleach is called sodium hypochlorite. It kills germs, and is in contact with the skin irritates it.

Signs of poisoning liquid chlorine

What happens if you drink bleach? Immediately after drinking bleach a person feels severe pain in the larynx and oral cavity. With growing nausea, the first signs of poisoning:

  • sharp pain in the abdomen;
  • aches throughout the body;
  • rapid deterioration of General condition.

Included protective reaction of the organism, and he tries to purify himself of the poison. Most likely, there will be involuntary vomiting with admixture of blood and mucus.

Fast growing symptoms of severe poisoning:

  • spasm of the vocal cords;
  • coughing, followed by choking (laryngospasm);
  • developing heart failure – shortness of breath, frequent palpitations, shallow breathing;
  • lacrimation, increased intraocular pressure, pain and cramps in the eyes.

Chlorine through the blood stream spreads throughout the body. The poison acts on the Central nervous system, causing a person has convulsions and loss of consciousness. Then a full pulmonary edema. Once in the brain, the chlorine inhibits his work. Symptoms of lesions of the nervous system:

  • paralysis of the respiratory center, and, as a consequence, stop breathing.
  • clonic seizures by type of epileptic seizure;
  • acute renal failure, absence of urine;
  • cardiac arrest.

Poisoning liquid chlorine is the most dangerous, in comparison with the toxicity caused by solid or gaseous form.

If, immediately after the poisoning not to start resuscitation, the person will die after 20-30 minutes of High concentration of chlorine in a weak body will lead to death in 5-7 minutes.

READ  How to recognize rotavirus in a child, its differences from intestinal infections

Symptoms of poisoning with chloride of lime

What happens if you eat bleach? When hit solid the bleach inside of the first damaged the mucous membrane of the larynx, esophagus and stomach.

The first symptoms of intoxication:

  • nausea, vomiting;
  • cutting pains in the epigastric region;
  • diarrhea, dehydration;
  • intoxication symptoms – chills, slight fever, pain in temporal region;
  • collapse.

The substance causes severe chemical burns and lead to such conditions:

  • ulceration of the epithelial lining of the digestive tract, leading to perforated ulcers;
  • internal bleeding (the most dangerous – from the esophagus, it is almost impossible to stop).

Intensive chemical burns 3rd and 4th degree leads to disability. Damaged esophageal epithelium is not restored. He is replaced by connective tissue. The negative side of this process is that the connective tissue gradually expands and reduces the lumen of the esophagus. People experiencing serious difficulties with swallowing during a meal. He is forced to go on a liquid diet.

As maintenance therapy, person spend probing (using surgical tools to make the extension of the esophagus). It for some time relieves the victim.

If the esophagus heal completely, do a gastrostomy (a hole in the abdomen into the stomach). Feeding humans is carried out through a funnel inserted in the hole. All food should be puréed and liquid. This measure allows to extend the human life maximum of 1 year.

If a person drinks bleach with a high concentration of sodium hypochlorite, then there will be affected organs. In this state, a high probability of a lethal outcome.