What if a child is poisoned with poisonous plant

Child poisoning poisonous plant: symptoms and first aid

With the arrival of spring on the playgrounds of life begins to bubble. Kids with shovels and buckets firmly occupied the sandbox and mom and grandma – cozy benches. Should an adult for a minute distracted as baby is pulled into his mouth the red berry, which on closer examination turns out to be a poisonous fruit of a Lily. The situation when the child is poisoned with poisonous plant, occurs mostly in the warm season. Parents should know all about the dangerous symptoms of intoxication and first aid they can provide to your baby.

What plants can cause a child poisoning

To cause intoxication, optional the plant must get inside the child’s body. Some shrubs have stems with many sharp spines that contain poisonous substances. Making his way through such thickets, the kid gets a lot of small skin lesions through which penetrate dangerous toxins.

Hobby breeding of indoor plants can also cause poisoning of the child. Delicate leaves or bright colors can attract baby’s attention, and he wants to taste any part of dieffenbachia or oleander.

Some parents doubt the effectiveness of pharmaceutical drugs and treating small children with herbs. It should be remembered that the experts strongly recommend the use of medicinal plants in the treatment of a child up to 12 years. For example, grass celandine is extremely toxic and when properly selected dose will cause severe poisoning in a toddler.

Doctors provide the first medical aid at poisoning, made a list of poisonous plants that like to feast on children most often:

  • Digitalis. Luxury fragrant flowers-bells garden plants used in the treatment of heart failure, but a child may cause respiratory arrest.
  • Belladonna. Purple-black berry extremely attractive for the baby. The atropine contained in it at first causes increased nervous excitement, and then the delusions and hallucinations.
  • Cicuta. Patterned sheets with delicate small flowers like ordinary parsley. Poisonous plant causes convulsions, loss of consciousness and cardiac arrest.

Symptoms of poisoning in children occur much heavier than that of an adult. They have a more active metabolism, so the poison quickly enters the bloodstream and spreads throughout the body. Arteries and veins have high permeability, which also contributes to the spread of the dangerous toxin.

On the Sunny glades are found wild poppy. The child may be interested in a velvet box with a milky-white contents. These fruits ingestion gastrointestinal tract cause severe narcotic intoxication.

READ  Yogurt poisoning: symptoms and first aid

How to understand what the child is poisoned with poisonous plant

The diversity of flora causes a large number of symptoms. Each toxin causes the individual symptoms of poisoning. In contrast to food intoxication, nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea is not always observed in a young child. Sometimes they arise at the final stage – so the body tries to get rid of poisonous substances.

Poisoning fruit, flowers and herbs to provide the following dangerous symptoms:

  1. Hypertension.
  2. Rapid or slow pulse.
  3. Confusion and loss of consciousness.
  4. Spasms of the upper and lower extremities.
  5. Drowsiness, lethargy, apathy.
  6. Coordination of movements is broken.

On the forehead of the baby acts as sweat, there is increased sweating, and skin pale and cool to the touch. If poisoning is especially dangerous poisonous plants (digitalis), the skin becomes bluish tint, when you try to breathe in the sternum distinctly heard the spasmodic wheezing.

If the toxin gets inside the body through mucous membranes or skin, at the site of contact there are traces of irritation. It can be small pimples, red spots, blisters with transparent liquid. Such eruptions usually, the child is scratching, which leads to a new round of intoxication.

Extremely dangerous symptom hallucinations are accompanied by delirium and dilated pupils. The child behaves aggressively, it is difficult to reassure and style. Such a disorder of the nervous system points directly to the poisoning of poisonous plant.

First aid for child poisoning poisonous plant

Calling an ambulance, you must ask the dispatcher to connect with a common poison control center. The specialist will ask about symptoms of poisoning and will tell you what actions can parents take before the arrival of the doctor. To slow the spread of toxin in the body, it is convenient to lay the baby, to talk to him, calm.

READ  The impact and influence of electromagnetic radiation on the human body

If the child has not vomited, then you need to induce vomiting on their own. In one liter of boiled water dissolve a few crystals of potassium permanganate to a light pink color. To drink a little and then pressing with the handle of his spoon on the tongue.

The baby choked on vomit in an unconscious state, it should be put to one side and constantly clean the mouth of mucus.

You need to ask what he ate on a walk and inspect the skin for any scratches or rashes. If you find damage, they should be rinsed under warm running water. If there is little bleeding, they should be treated by any antibacterial drugs.

What else can be done:

  • after the cessation of vomiting, need to give the baby adsorbents in accordance with the enclosed instructions (activated carbon);
  • milk can be given to determine the type of toxin! Otherwise the absorption of the poison will be accelerated;
  • if you experience seizures or hallucinations should limit the child to move, hugged to his – or little children can harm themselves;
  • if the child lost consciousness, you need to go meet the ambulance.

The sooner action will be taken to eliminate the symptoms, the less poison from plants are absorbed into the gastric mucosa. And the child needs to hold a conversation about flowers and herbs, and the danger they pose to human life.