What if the cat was poisoned rat poison

The cat was poisoned rat poison — what to do

The cat walks by itself. And eats it too by itself. The owner is very difficult to keep track of those that ate his pet, because these animals are susceptible to poisoning. Despite the fact that the cats have very well developed sense of smell, they can’t always detect poison in food, so it is important to monitor their condition and take timely measures for elimination of intoxication. What if the cat was poisoned rat poison? Find the answer in our article.

How can to poison the cat

Places where your pet can find the rat poison. And the first of them are rodents. Everyone knows that cats are real hunters, they can easily deal with mice, and some can kill even an adult rat that size is not much inferior to the cat.

And you or your neighbors are tired of the constant attacks of the pesky rodents and has decided to declare war on them. The decision is commendable, but it can have a negative impact on your cat. If a pet eats the poisoned rat, he himself will feel the symptoms of intoxication. Besides, the cat itself will not eat away the poisonous traps for mice and rats. One dose will not bring her harm, but some can even kill. The lethal dose depends on the age and weight of cats, as well as the kind of toxin that she used.

Basic information about rat poison

On the market today rat poisons, the most popular drug, which causes the deterioration of blood clotting. It operates as follows: the rodent that ate the bait die within a few days from massive internal bleeding. As a basis for such toxins are used the following drugs:

  • brodifacoum;
  • warfarin;
  • difazio;
  • bromadiolone.

The vast majority of the toxins used to control rodents, painted green. Cats are not able to recognize this color, and therefore will not be able to learn to distinguish poison from wholesome food.

The ingress of such substances into the body of the cat leads to complete neutralization of vitamin K. Thus, the drug completely blocks blood clotting.

Modern manufacturers of tools for the control of mice and rats try to pack them so that a one-time adoption of poison did not lead to instant death of your Pets, but could destroy the rodent. Therefore, you will have time to take the first aid measures and to go to a veterinary clinic, where the health of your pet will be engaged professionals.

If you notice that your cat ate a poison for mice, in any case do not let her drink. If the dose of toxin was too big, it will open instantly internal bleeding that can be fatal.

General recommendations for prevention of poisoning rat poison:

READ  Vomiting in children: causes, symptoms, first aid and treatment
  1. Keep the packaging from the toxin out of reach of your pet.
  2. Place bait in places where the cat won’t find them, and mouse – no problem.
  3. Don’t allow your pet to hunt vermin, when you spend derately. Keep him home for a few days, so you will prevent intoxication.

But if the poisoning has occurred, you should pay attention to the condition of your pet. As a rule, the symptoms are pronounced.

Symptoms

As mentioned above, the dose for mice and rats is too small to cause poisoning in cats. But it is possible that your pet will eat several poisoned rodents, leading to the appearance of pronounced symptoms. All signs point to the fact that the cat has internal bleeding:

  • a state of lethargy;
  • indifference to everything;
  • cough;
  • apathy;
  • shortness of breath;
  • swollen abdomen (a direct reference to intra-abdominal bleeding);
  • diarrhea;
  • vomiting;
  • bleeding from the nose;
  • the contents of blood in the urine;
  • bleeding from the anus;
  • the appearance of hematomas without mechanical damage;
  • swelling of the joints;
  • the rupture of blood vessels in the eyes (eye in your pet is completely red, it can even blind).

Remember that not all symptoms may occur. You should alert even one of the above. If at the time of detection of bleeding do not help the pet, things can very quickly be fatal. Sounds and looks very scary. But if you notice the symptoms, immediately contact your vet and don’t panic!

Treatment

Poisoning cats with rat poison is not a death sentence. The first step is to contact the vet. He will tell you how to provide first aid. You will need to perform several actions step by step:

  1. As mentioned above, in any case do not let the cat to drink, as it can lead to more serious consequences.
  2. You need to stop the action of the toxins on the body, as in the case of any intoxication. Call the cat vomiting. This can be done with the help of special tools that are sold in pharmacies. Gastric lavage is very important at the first stage of treatment.
  3. The cat should take the sorbents. For animals great activated carbon. Here we need a loading dose. It is issued at the rate of 1 tablet on 1 kg of weight. Also suitable for cats and other sorbents are designed for people. Is enterosgel, POLYSORB, and others.
  4. With the permission of the veterinarian can do a colonic enema.
READ  Lethal dose of water for humans a day at a time

Unfortunately, in most cases, the owners do not have time to keep track of symptoms, so the pet starts bleeding internally. The worst thing about this is that even in today’s veterinary clinics do not always have the possibility of a blood transfusion. So watch your pet carefully, so as not to lose it.

Modern medicine has an antidote. If the main effect of rat poison is the neutralization of vitamin K, the best antidote will be this vitamin. At first, it is administered in large doses, to help the animal to cope with its deficiency in the body. It is not recommended to do input injection. This is acceptable only in extreme cases when the timely entry of the drug depends on the life of the animal. Vitamin K is sold in pharmacies. Special funds for animals in Russia at the moment sold out (better check times are changing).

Person ignorant of the science of a veterinarian is difficult to determine when to finish the treatment. The poison can linger in the body at different times. To determine that the animal has recovered, it is necessary to hand over blood on analyses.

What else can be poisoned cat

Not always rat poison has the above effect. It can also include other types of active ingredients, so you need to be careful in choosing derotation of vehicles and the observation of symptoms of intoxication.

D3 (B3)

One of the drugs that are used for making poison against rodents, is a common vitamin D3. Overdose of this vitamin leads to the fact that in the blood of the animal exceeded the normal content of calcium and phosphorus. The result is a very rapidly developing renal failure. The following signs: swelling, frequent trips to the bathroom, weakness, lethargy. It is very dangerous. If in the near future to see a specialist, a cat for life remain disabled or even die.

Cyanide

Really scary poisonous substance. The consequence of its use is the swelling of the brain. Products that contain cyanide, are often confused with those that neutralize vitamin K. Ignorant people can’t tell the difference in symptoms, so you need to be very careful in their determination. The fact that the drugs that prevent blood clotting, have the antidote, and potassium cyanide no.

READ  Pills Lactofiltrum: what help and how to take them

Intoxicated you’ll notice the following warning signs:

  • cramps;
  • lack of coordination;
  • confused;
  • weakness;
  • paralysis.

Despite the frightening symptoms, there is a poison in relation to cats not always. Dose for rodents is not able to cause serious harm to the health of your pet. However, if he ate enough of the toxin the first symptoms can appear within two hours. At a minimum dangerous dose of the first signs of intoxication appear after about 36 hours.

Phosphides

Extremely dangerous substance, which differs from the others in principle. After swallowing, it reacts with hydrochloric acid in the stomach and with the food that was eaten in parallel. The more food absorbed, the faster and stronger will to proceed the reaction. This is extremely dangerous for your pet. Symptoms include vomiting, diarrhea, flatulence, cough.

In case of swallowing such a poison in need of urgent help. In any case do not let the cat eat after drinking this poison, otherwise she could die so quickly that you won’t be able to get her to the vet in time. The first thing you need to do gastric lavage.

The phosphides of aluminium and zinc can harm the owner of the cat. The fact that they form an extremely toxic gas. If gastric lavage your cat and you run the risk of being poisoned. So wash the stomach of the cat is outdoors only.

Unfortunately, phosphide, cyanide and vitamin D3 do not have antidotes. Therefore, even in the hospital the treatment will be symptomatic.

To define poisoning in cats is quite difficult, so watch the behavior of your pet as closely as possible, especially if nearby someone is struggling with rodents with poisons. Also, remember that the best treatment is prevention. Don’t let the cat out of the house is horrible, when you or your neighbors are dilataciei.

MAXCACHE: 0.48MB/0.00092 sec