What to do in case of overdose polidexa in children

Overdose polidexa in children: symptoms, treatment

Polideksa – a modern combination drug, which is used to treat and relieve symptoms in bacterial and inflammatory diseases of the nasopharynx and the middle ear. It consists of many active substances, which provide a comprehensive treatment of the pathological process and withdrawal symptoms. Polideksa widely used in Pediatrics to treat children. To use this drug should only as directed by your healthcare doctor. This article describes polideksa overdose in children side effects of this drug, indications and contraindications to its use.

The description of the drug

Polideksa – a multicomponent drug. It comes in a spray and drops. Sold in pharmacies without a prescription. It is composed of the following active ingredients:

  • neomycin sulfate – a local broad-spectrum antibiotic, eliminates bacteria that cause disease;
  • polymyxin sulfate – fighting pathogenic microorganisms, refers to antibacterial substances.
  • dexamethasone – a corticosteroid that reduces inflammation and swelling of the mucous membrane.
  • phenylephrine – improves nasal breathing, lays the nose, has a vasoconstrictor effect.

Polideksa should be administered to children only by a pediatrician or tippet. To use this drug, as in the case of incorrect use it may harm the health and cause of drug poisoning in children.

Indications for the use of polydoxy are listed below:

  • Acute or chronic sinusitis (maxillary sinusitis, frontal sinusitis, etmoidit, Spinola) – inflammation of the sinuses. In this disease the drug relieves the symptoms, inflammation and fights infection.
  • Rhinitis and pharyngitis bacterial etiology. The medicine provides a comprehensive treatment of these diseases. In chronic inflammatory processes, the drug is indicated during an exacerbation. Prolonged use may lead to development of bacterial resistance.
  • Purulent otitis media or Eustachian. Polideksa used for the treatment of suppurative ear diseases. But to use it for this purpose only after examination of the consultation. If the damage (perforation) to the tympanic membrane the use of them is prohibited.

The polideksa is forbidden to apply in the first days of ARVI and flu. This drug has no effect on viruses, and dexamethasone, is part of it, may worsen the symptoms of these diseases and prolong the healing process.

Contraindications to the use of polydoxy:

  • increased intraocular pressure, glaucoma;
  • viral disease;
  • Allergy to components of drug;
  • renal disease, which appear in the urine albumin;
  • pregnancy and breast-feeding;
  • children up to age 2 years;
  • perforation, violation of the integrity of the eardrum.
READ  Lactofiltrum counterparts – cheap drugs of similar action

Side effects

In rare cases polideksa may become the reason of development of side effects. They can develop due to individual intolerance of the drug or characteristics of the patient.

When using polydexa can develop the following side reactions:

  • dryness of the nasal mucosa, nosebleeds. Vasoconstrictor and anti-inflammatory components of the drug can lead to capillary fragility;
  • severe allergic reaction may occur in the form of allergic rhinitis, angioedema or urticaria. With the development of allergic reactions you should immediately call an ambulance and give the patient to drink an antihistamine anti-allergic agent, for example, a toothache or the pain.

Is it possible to overdose

Still in the world there was not a single case of acute overdose with polidexa. This drug is practically not absorbed into the bloodstream and acts primarily locally.

In case of prolonged and uncontrolled use of polydex may develop chronic overdose. It is manifested by the following symptoms:

  • headache, dizziness;
  • trembling of the hands;
  • General weakness, fatigue, drowsiness;
  • sensitivity disorder extremity, development of paresthesia;
  • the decrease in the level of arterial blood pressure;
  • the rapid pulse, the constant development of tachycardia;
  • pallor of skin and mucous membranes;
  • frequent nosebleeds;
  • nausea and vomiting, abdominal pain in the stomach;
  • excessive sweating.

These changes develop gradually. The patient’s condition deteriorates. Often people do not associate these symptoms with the use of polydoxy, and for a long period of time are examined by different doctors in finding the cause of ill health.

Treatment of overdose

What to do if overdose with polydexa? Since this condition develops gradually and does not lead to significant deterioration, it is possible not to call an ambulance and to contact their doctor themselves.

Remember that as soon as you began to suspect an overdose with politicaI, you should immediately stop using these drops. The longer you will use them, the stronger will be worse.

If you experience dryness in the nasal cavity should be drip nose drops based on marine salts, for example, apply for a long time. They quickly moisturize the mucosa and protect from the development of nasal bleeding.

READ  Can I drink kefir or yogurt for poisoning

If the patient begins to complain of a feeling of disruption in the heart, he has pale skin and quickens the pulse, you have to immediately call an ambulance. Before their arrival could drink poisoned person sweet tea or plain water, to calm him, to provide him rest and bed rest.

The ambulance crew, which arrived on a call, check the pulse, blood pressure, respiratory rate, saturation level of oxygen in your blood and do an electrocardiogram. If necessary, they hospitalitynet patient in the Department of toxicology or therapy during the day it will be seen by a doctor, and to carry out correction of blood pressure and pulse. Specific antidote polydoxy does not exist, and the treatment of overdose is aimed at removing drugs from the body, normalization of vital signs and withdrawal symptoms.

Polideksa is a complete a drug used for the treatment of bacterial inflammatory diseases of the oropharynx and ears. Be administered it needs a tippet or a therapist. Independent its use can cause chronic overdose or bacterial resistance to antibiotics.