What to do in case of poisoning drops from fleas: cats, dogs
Poisoning of cats and dogs by means of fleas
Poisoning drops from fleas is a fairly common disease in dogs and cats. Owners treating their Pets from potentially dangerous parasites that can cause great harm to their health and lead to severe intoxication of the organism. In this article we reviewed the causes and symptoms of poisoning remedy for fleas in cats and dogs, and methods of first aid and components of treatment of this pathological condition.
The causes of poisoning
Fleas are very dangerous for animal insects that can lead to a large number of diseases. With the help of special drops from them fastly and thereby improve the quality of life of your pet and protect it from a large number of pathologies.
Flea drop is applied to the animal at the withers. This is the place chosen by scientists is not accidental. Pet cannot reach it and lick the medication from insects.
Below we have gathered the main reasons why you may develop poisoning drops from fleas in Pets.
- Failure by the owner to the rules specified in the instructions to the drug. In sale you can find a large number of different means of fleas. They all have different rules applying. Before using them you should carefully read the instructions.
- Bathing the animal during the first few days after treatment. This is a leading cause in the development of poisoning dogs drops for fleas and ticks. Due to frequent walking on the street dogs have to be bathed more often cats.
- The purchase of counterfeit or expired drugs. To buy drugs need only official and licensed outlets, pharmacies or veterinary clinics.
- The use of the drops in young, debilitated or sick animals.
- Applying drops is not on the withers, and on the other part of the body. While an animal is poisoned after licking of the drug. The reason for this is more typical for cats, as they are more thoroughly washed and cleaned your hair.
- Incorrect selection of the necessary dosage of drops. The drug is available in a different dosage, which depends on the weight of the animal.
- Treatment of kittens and puppies staying breastfed. Suffers with their mother, which he washed them down the drug.
- Individual intolerance to the components of the drug and allergic to it. The animal may develop urticaria and angioneurotic angioedema.
Please note that kittens and puppies are more sensitive to chemicals. They have developed more poisoning than Mature animals. On the Internet on the veterinary forums often there are reports that the kitten was poisoned drops from fleas. The issue of handling kids must be addressed by a veterinarian after examination and investigation.
Symptoms of poisoning by preparations from fleas
The first clinical manifestations of the poisoning by drugs of fleas are developing very fast during the first 5-10 minutes. The severity of symptoms depends on the quantity and quality of the drug that the animal was treated.
If your pet began to deteriorate shortly after his treatment of parasites, first and foremost, you should think about a possible poisoning drops for fleas and to take all measures to assist the animal.
Listed below are the symptoms and signs that you may suspect poisoning:
- Increased salivation. For some dogs this symptom is not indicative, as the saliva is constantly secreted from them in large quantity. But if the cat is poisoned drops from fleas, this symptom can be immediately suspect the development of the disease.
- Violation of coordination of movements. The animal begins to fall to the side when walking, bumping into furniture and not fit in doorways.
- Smacking and licking – signs of nausea.
- Persistent vomiting can be triggered by toxins defeat of the Central nervous system.
- Hyperemia (redness) of the mucous membranes, ears, develops as a result of allergic reactions.
- Cause itching and rashes on the skin. The animal begins to comb out your skin.
- Cramps throughout the body, resembling an epileptic seizure. During a seizure the animal loses consciousness, throws back its head, stretches out his paws. Cramps may be accompanied by spontaneous discharge of feces and urine.
- Loss of consciousness develops in acute poisoning. The animal may fall into a deep coma.
What to do in case of poisoning
Treatment of poisoning drops from fleas carried by the veterinary doctor. When the first signs of the disease should include pet to the vet. If for some reasons you are unable to do it, for example, the development of symptoms at night and drain in the absence of round-the-clock hospital nearby, start to give yourself first aid. Below we have reviewed the main components:
- Let the pet drink a sorbent. Ordinary activated carbon. To calculate the dosage is very simple: for 10 kg of animal weight need to take 1 tablet of coal. So for a cat weighing 5 kg, you will need half of the pill. The medicine should be dissolved in 5-10 ml of plain water and enter the animal into the mouth through a syringe (without a needle).
- Water pet with plain water. This is best done with a syringe. Pour the animal into the mouth of 5-10 ml of fluid every 10 minutes. Drink will help to reduce the severity of intoxication syndrome.
More you can’t help the animal. In holding an enema or gastric lavage is not necessary, as most of the drug is absorbed into the body through the skin. Further treatment will be carried out in a veterinary clinic.
Components of treatment
The treatment prescribed by the veterinary doctor after examining the pet. Show the doctor the drug that you worked on him. Also need to talk about comorbidities your animal, the presence of allergies to medications or food ingredients.
After inspection of the pet doctor will start rendering first aid. It may consist of:
- intravenous or intramuscular steroids. Most commonly used dexamethasone. This drug quickly eliminates Allergy symptoms and improves the condition of the animal;
- droppers with solutions to reduce intoxication and encourage the elimination of toxins from the body through the kidneys;
- the introduction of antihistamine (antiallergic) drugs, this can be diphenhydramine, suprastin, loratadine.
After first aid, the doctor will write out a course of treatment. Some drugs you will be able to give the animal. For injections and IVS you’ll need to bring the animal to a veterinary clinic.
How to protect your Pets from poisoning
Careful attention to the health of the pet will help you protect it from poisoning by drugs. Below we have gathered recommendations that will help you to do this:
- Do not change medications from fleas. If you have ever treated a pet of some drug, he has tolerated it well and use it in the future.
- Check the expiration date of the medication before applying it on the skin of the animal.
- Read the instructions carefully to remedy for fleas before use.
- Apply the product strictly for the location specified in the instructions for use.
- Buy remedies for fleas only in official points of sale (pharmacies or veterinary clinics).
- Do not bathe pet within the first 2-4 days after treatment of parasites.
Poisoning drugs against fleas is a common occurrence. It can develop in dogs and cats when used improperly, the owner of the funds and compliance with the rules specified in the instructions. When the first symptoms need to refer to the veterinary doctor, who after examination of your pet will provide him first aid and prescribe treatment.