What to feed child with diarrhea: what to eat
What and how to feed child with diarrhea: tips and advice, recipes diet menu
During the illness the usual diet of the child must be adjusted in accordance with the increased need for nutrients and vitamins. This is especially true of conditions in which an increased excretion of essential elements from the body. In particular, during diarrhoea and vomiting when they are lost along with liquid feces and vomit. Today on the agenda is a global issue of concern to mothers at all times: what to feed baby with diarrhea to soothe your baby and to recover his powers?
The basic principles of nutrition with diarrhea
Causes and treatment of diarrhea, there are so many. But the main principle of diet in all these cases, easily digestible food with a maximum concentration of vitamins and minerals. This Golden rule applies, regardless of the age of the child and of the disease, triggering digestive disorders.
When preparing a diet diet of a sick child it is necessary to consider the importance of protein. Natural animal protein, which is found in eggs, meat and fish, will help to restore forces and to support the liver suffering from the toxic effects of the infection. With regard to milk protein, there is to exercise caution and gradually introduce the diet dairy products with low percentage of fat. Kefir or natural yoghurt will help restore the intestinal microflora, reducing the likelihood of the following episodes of diarrhoea.
Give your child to drink with an upset stomach by pure cow milk is not. This product can strengthen diarrhea, than provoke the deterioration of the baby.
Next on the list carbs. This component should be included in the diet of the child in the minimum amount. In this case the bulk should be spent on cereals and vegetables, the last heat treatment. Fresh vegetables and fruits can enhance the fermentation processes in the intestine. So this point vitaminized food is better to leave for the period of recovery when diarrhea and other symptoms of poisoning will be able to get rid of.
As for fats, their consumption in the acute period of diarrhea should be reduced. Diarrhea leads to dehydration and loss of appetite. As a result, there is a violation of production of enzymes responsible for the digestion of fatty acids.
With indigestion, the meals should be frequent and fractional. It is recommended to give food every 2 hours but small portions. The lack of food compensate for the liquid. To replenish lost fluids, drink to the child with diarrhea needs a lot of using ordinary purified water or rehydration of pharmaceutical preparations.
If the child refuses to eat, don’t need to stuff it by force. It can cause vomiting, which will only worsen the condition of the baby.
Forbidden foods during diarrhea
When compiling a menu for a patient of Chad it is important to avoid foods which may aggravate diarrhea. This is why we need to know what is forbidden to feed the child during diarrhea:
- Foods that have a pronounced laxative effect. These include beets, cantaloupe, dried apricots and prunes.
- Natural and store-bought juices. Fruit drinks can also have a laxative effect. In addition, with their help, you can dim the already weak appetite.
- Products that enhance the fermentation processes in the intestine. This is legumes, milk, fatty dairy products, grapes and cabbage. It is desirable for the diet to completely eliminate all fresh fruits and vegetables (except bananas in small quantities).
- Sweets. It’s a completely useless carbs that only kill the appetite, causing a false feeling of fullness. Yes and of itself, sugar is the main «helper» of the fermentation processes.
- Fatty meats, fish, and nourishing soups. As mentioned, the child’s body is hard to process fats, if he has diarrhea.
- Smoked, canned, pickled products. And for a healthy body benefits of this food is questionable. To say nothing of an irritable digestive tract.
Do not go on about the child, offering as an alternative of chips, soda and other harmful Goodies. The principle of «eat anything» will not work here. And if no appetite, just a little put down the meal.
What to feed a little patient
If the diarrhea is, the child does not want, which most often occurs in the first 12 hours of the disease is limited to only water and sorbents. When the baby will be the appetite, you should be ready to offer him some kind of healthy dish. Feed the child with diarrhea can products that have passed not only thermal, but also mechanical handling. Irritable digestive tract have no ability to digest large pieces of food. So any food needs to go to ground, ground to paste form.
So, what you can feed the baby when he has diarrhea:
- If the baby food does not give, the best meal would be oatmeal, which are characterized by a slimy consistency. They will envelop the mucosa of the gastrointestinal tract, relieving irritation of the lower intestine. Depending on taste preferences, you can give rice or oatmeal, cooked with water. To improve taste you can add some honey or sugar. A few days after the diarrhea, you can begin to cook oatmeal in half milk (with water in the ratio 1:1).
- To the categories of permissible dishes include omelets, steamed, and vegetable soups with vegetable broth. Liquid and light food will help to gain strength and organize the work of the digestive system.
- Meat allowed beef, rabbit, chicken and other lean. To cook meats is necessary for a couple or a method of cooking without adding fat with subsequent grinding to smooth.
A real lifesaver in this situation can become children canned and mashed potatoes. This is a diet product that contains no additives, has a delicate texture and is completely safe for children of any age.
Feeding infants with diarrhea: what parents need to know
Until recently doctors have practiced total abstinence from food during diarrhea. Modern science denied the benefits of such fasting. Because of acute shortage of nutrients can have a negative impact on the growth and development of the child. Especially when talking about the year of patients for whom rapid weight loss may face fatal consequences.
To feed one year old child with diarrhea is not only possible, but necessary. Babies, breastfeeding, breast milk helps to fight the disease and recover after it. If there is no vomiting, breastfed baby’s needs on demand.
For children iskusstvennomu the number of feedings should be adjusted taking into account individual peculiarities of the organism. Approximate scheme of feeding mixture of 50 ml every 2-2. 5 hours. Children from 6 months who had introduced solid foods permitted dairy-free rice porridge. From toddlers aged 1 year in the diet may be present yolk, meat, rice bran and other dietary products that are allowed in accordance with the scheme of foods.
Diarrhea can not enter into the diet of new complementary feeding products.
Recipes for diet menus
Such limitations on the diet can confound even the most seasoned parents. What to feed a sick baby with diarrhea, that was not only safe and useful, but also delicious? Because many children are picky with food. It will help you a little cheat sheet of recipes for delicious dishes with diarrhea, the child may eat.
Due to the high content of pectin fiber, apples – an indispensable tool when diarrhea. They restore the lining of the digestive tract and normalizes the intestinal microflora. All that is required is to correctly cook sweet and sour fruit.
- Peel a few apples, removing the skin and removing the core.
- Peel, boil for 7-10 minutes. Strain the broth.
- In the resulting broth will cook the apples, pre-cut them into wedges.
- After 20 minutes, remove the saucepan from the heat and let cool.
- Apples ready grind in a blender until smooth.
To cook the dish will in a water bath. For its preparation you will need a small piece of meat (low-fat varieties listed above), egg, broth, vegetables and a piece of bread.
- Re-hydrate in vegetable broth with bread, chop.
- Boil meat until tender, then cut into small pieces.
- Pass the meat through a blender, add the egg, bread and remaining broth.
- The finished mixture is put in a small container and place in saucepan with water.
- A makeshift double boiler, put in the oven for 30 minutes.
Not every adult will agree to eat lean figure on the water, despite the impressive usefulness meals with diarrhea. So for a child during diarrhea are encouraged to prepare rice porridge using water with milk:
- Wash 2 tablespoons of rice, pour a glass of water and boil it until tender.
- Cooked rice to wipe through a sieve or grind in a blender.
- Enter in a rice ground ½ Cup low-fat milk, add a bit of salt and sugar.
- Return the porridge to the boil and boil for a few minutes.
- If necessary, you can add a small piece of butter.
Many parents do not attach much importance to dieting diarrhea in children. In fact, correction of the diet is a must a speedy recovery.