A cyst in the tooth consequences: what will happen if not treated
Cyst formation in the tooth, the consequence of which may be a number of dangerous complications, in most cases, slowly and quietly. Most often this education occurs in roots of teeth affected by caries under the crown or in the root canals which were removed nerve. A cyst is a cavity that is separated from the surrounding tissue by a dense wall of epithelial tissue. Inside the capsule accumulate pus or fluid containing pathogenic microorganisms and dead cells of the affected tissues.
Cysts can be of different sizes, different location, be caused by the influence of various factors. The disease requires timely treatment to prevent the appearance of complications. How dangerous is a cyst: it leads to the destruction of bone tissue in the place of its location, gradually replaces it and can lead to the emergence of a malignant tumor.
The appearance of the cyst can contribute to a number of factors. Under their influence in root channels penetrate the infection. The resistance of the immune system of their reproduction and proliferation of the surrounding cells leads to the death of bacteria and appearance of pus.
We can distinguish the following reasons for the formation of cysts:
- In case of advanced caries bacteria get into the tooth pulp, causing inflammation of its tissue — pulp. Further, in the absence of treatment or improper conduct, the infection and inflammatory process can spread to the internal divisions of the root canals, the formation of cysts.
- Untreated periodontitis (inflammation of the gum tissue), which passed into a chronic form and approached the periosteum of the tooth.
- Not enough high-quality filling of root channels. If space channels are not completely filled with filling, perhaps propagation of infection on an empty area of the apex of the tooth root.
- Chronic inflammatory processes in the nasopharynx, such as sinusitis, as a permanent source of pathogenic microorganisms.
- Trauma to the tooth or its surrounding tissues, facilitating the penetration of infection inside the tooth root.
- Complications during the eruption of wisdom teeth — the penetration of microorganisms on the injured surface of the gums leads to inflammation with the formation of cysts.
- The spread of bacteria in the tissue of the jaw from the foci of infectious diseases in other organs, the bloodstream.
- The development of inflammation under the crown. No output for accumulating toxic elements in the region of root canals leads to the formation of pus-filled capsules.
To determine that the tooth root had the cyst at an early stage is difficult because the disease may not be accompanied by noticeable symptoms. Its symptoms usually appear with a significant increase in the size of education. But for more effective treatment and prevent the severe consequences of a cyst of the tooth must be detected as early as possible.
Careful monitoring of the condition of the teeth and surrounding tissues, timely treatment in a medical institution with the appearance of alarming symptoms, will help to preserve your health and preserve your teeth. On the development of the disease may indicate:
- pain or discomfort in the tooth when biting and chewing of food;
- deterioration of health, weakness, increased body temperature;
- in the area of tooth root appeared tubercle, gradually, he becomes more visible and larger in size;
- education flux (inflammation of the periosteum, leading to accumulation of pus) or a fistula an opening, providing a way out purulent exudate.
With the progression of the disease with the transition to the late stage marked swelling and redness of the gums, increase of submandibular lymph nodes. Can become swollen cheek, to be a headache, to feel the smell of pus in the nose (at the location of the cyst close to maxillary sinus). Aching pain in the gums increases, eliminate it with the help of anesthetics is becoming increasingly difficult.
Classification of varieties of cysts
Cysts klassificeret in terms of location and causes. At the location of the capsule may be keratocysts underneath the wisdom tooth, odontogenic — opening into the maxillary sinus, or can be placed under the front cutter.
For the reasons that causes the formation of cysts, there are:
- arising teething at the age of 10 years;
- periodontal (retromolar) often accompany the eruption of wisdom teeth;
- follicular are formed on infected tooth the beginnings;
- radicular surround the root of a tooth, are the result of periodontitis;
- residual arise after a tooth and its root are removed.
In the initial stage the cyst may represent a granuloma formation, whose dimensions typically do not exceed 0.5 cm. Its contents are not limited by walls, so it is an active focus of infection. Especially the rapid growth of granulomas observed with reduced immunity.
Complications of the disease
Modern diagnostic methods allow to detect the formation of purulent pouch inside the bone and connective tissues of the jaw at an early stage. Do not delay seeking medical assistance. What happens if you don’t start to treat the cyst on time
- increases the risk of chronic sinusitis;
- if you get an infection in nearby blood vessels may occur with blood poisoning — sepsis dangerous to human life;
- a cyst in the gum of the tooth leads to the coverage of the inflammatory process of the periosteum of the jaw;
- when the penetration of infection inside the bone tissue develops osteomyelitis in contact with bacteria in the soft tissue can occur cellulitis of the neck.
Dangerous cyst on the root of the tooth and the excessive growth leads to a decrease in bone density and changes of bone structure, increasing the risk of a jaw fracture.
Diagnosis of the cyst
The most accurate methods for determining the cysts are radiographic examination and orthopantomogram — a panoramic image of the mouth. On the picture it looks like the area of the blackout that surrounds the tooth root and having clear boundaries. The cyst may not be visible on x-ray, if its location were not included in the field of action of the device, in such cases is to re-survey with full coverage of the desired portion of the dentition. To differentiate granuloma from encapsulated of education allows for histological analysis of tissues after extraction.
Methods of eliminating cysts
Treatment can be therapeutic, and surgical methods. In some cases, physical therapy. To eliminate the inflammatory process help folk remedies based on medicinal plants. Therapeutic measures are aimed primarily at preventing the defeat of the infection of the surrounding tissues, pain relief, preservation of the tooth.
In some cases there is a need for tooth removal:
- the emergence of vertically situated cracks in the root;
- the lack of access to the cyst due to obstruction of the root canal;
- perforation of the tooth root — the appearance in the wall of the root canal openings leading to the periodontal tissues;
- the decision to install a dental prosthesis;
- the formation of periodontal pockets.
At the present stage of development of dentistry, operative intervention is aimed at preserving chewing surface of the affected tooth. Is resection of the root with a cyst. To eliminate inflammation treatment complementary therapeutic methods. The removal of a tooth used in the case of the location of its roots inside the cyst or if it is excessive destruction. To eliminate the cyst applies a laser or a scalpel.
There are three method of surgical removal of cysts:
- Hemisection — together with the affected root. If some of the roots of the teeth can be crown.
- Cystotomy — removed one of the walls of the cyst, resulting in her filling the liquid comes out. As anesthesia is used for local anesthesia. In the cavity of the capsule is placed iodoform swab. A week to change it this procedure is done up to 4 times. It promotes epithelization of the wound edges. Complete healing of the cavity occurs through 1,5–2 years. During recovery, the patient washed the wound with antiseptic.
- Cystectomy. First in the root canal antiseptic is injected, then simultaneously removes the tip of the tooth root and the cyst. This method is shown in location of a large cystic capsule in the upper jaw. Cyst in the occupied space should not be teeth. The operation can be performed when abnormal development of epithelium, but it is not used if there is damage in the lower wall of the nasal cavity.
During postoperative period it is necessary to pay special attention to oral hygiene, rinsing the wound surface with an antiseptic solution, to use when brushing your teeth with antibacterial toothpaste. Some time accepted prescribed antibiotics. If you increase body temperature, you should immediately contact the medical facility.
A therapeutic method
Based on conservative effects with the reaming cavity of tooth, opening of the capsule, removal of its content, use of drugs. It has been used with small size of the cyst up to 8 mm. compared to surgically treatment longer and more costly, does not exclude relapses.
After opening the carious canal and pumping pus and fluid from the cyst, the patient is prescribed a gargle tooth antiseptics, antibiotics to relieve inflammation. 5-7 days in the cystic cavity is injected the drug, for the restoration of bone tissue. Channels and coronal part of the tooth are sealed.
For small cysts after cleaning and filling the cavity of the regenerative gel may establish a temporary filling replaced with permanent after 7-10 days in the absence of signs of inflammation. After 3 months check the status of the treated fabrics with conducting x-ray studies.
This method of treatment is based on the filling of root canals hydroxide of copper and calcium, with high disinfectant properties. After the enlargement of the root canal and removal of cystic contents of the capsule, fill it with a mixture and affect the weak discharge current. The procedure is repeated several times, and then the tooth is sealed. This method significantly reduces the likelihood of recurrence of the disease, providing a positive result in 95% of cases. But among experts there is disagreement about the safety of its use.
A contraindication to the use of depoforez are:
- periodontitis in the acute phase;
- allergic reactions of the patient to copper;
- the presence in the root canal silver pin.
The most modern and successful methods of eliminating cysts include the impact of a narrow stream of light. To the surface of the cyst extended through channels of the tooth is inserted laser. Its radiation destroys microorganisms and removes all components of cystic masses. The advantages of this method include:
- painless procedure;
- the quick recovery of tissues;
- exclusion of complications and recurrences;
- ensured the safety of the tooth.
There are many recipes using healing herbs to relieve inflammation in periodontitis. They can be used in conjunction with therapeutic methods, before and after surgery to remove a cyst. The most common are:
- Infusions sage, eucalyptus, calendula, yarrow has antiseptic properties. Prepare concentrated — pour 2 tbsp. l. dry grass 100 ml. of boiling water.
- Good effect provide alcohol tincture of propolis, aloe, calendula.
- The attachment to the gum leaf pulp of aloe ground to a pasty consistency of garlic, or a swab dipped in sesame oil.
- Use to rinse the salt solution.
In order to protect the teeth from the appearance of the cyst is recommended to follow the rules of hygiene of an oral cavity, at the first sign of tooth decay or inflammation of the gums, seek medical help. The disease passed into a chronic form, threaten to cause complications and harder to heal. Avoid injury to the teeth, if the injury has been received, after a month of complete radiographic examination to ensure no adverse effects. Regular visits to the dentist helps to detect the disease at an early stage.