A granuloma on the root of the tooth: symptoms and treatment of this disease
Treatment of granuloma at the root of the tooth is held in medicine different methods, the main thing – at the symptoms to determine what method will be most effective.
The disease is unpredictable and dangerous — at the very early stages of the disease may not manifest, however, a sharp pain overtake all of a sudden, and also it can lead to serious complications.
What kind of disease?
A granuloma is a rounded inflammatory kitoobraznye, which is in the root of the tooth (mostly the top), consisting of dead bacterial cells.
She has clear boundaries and is able to grow rapidly, which leads to the promotion of infection in the body and to lose healthy tooth. Resembles a small pouch granulation tissue, the size of which ranges from 5-8 mm in diameter.
Due to the asymptomatic course of disease is the probability of its development in the muscles of the face and neck. In the absence of proper care, the pus can also reach the heart, leading to instant death.
The main causes of granuloma – it goes untreated caries or pulpitis (eg, chronic). From this we can infer why it is usually called the complication of the above diseases.
Both factors favor the penetration of microbes into the pulp of the tooth, it eventually becomes inflamed and is destroyed. Multiply, microbes infect bone tissue in its place is formed the connective tissue that isolates all the bacteria inside, thus becoming a sort of capsule.
In addition to these factors on the occurrence of disease can affect:
- injuries that can lead to infection of the tooth;
- a complication of pulpitis or periodontitis;
- inflammation of the tissues around the tooth or a fracture;
- failure of sterility in the treatment of other diseases of the oral cavity;
- teeth whose treatment occurred more than 10 years ago;
- the presence of a tooth crown.
For the last two paragraphs, the failure of the immune system of the body is particularly dangerous — it is very likely that the capsule granuloma can break unexpectedly, resulting in inflammation of the gums and the roots of the teeth become bare, and he loses hold.
Photos and x-rays
X-ray is the most reliable way to determine inflammation at the root of the tooth, it is shown below together with illustration of the granuloma, which shows the problem area.
In the occurrence of granulomas can not see obvious signs, however, the disease acts as a time bomb — at one point appears unbearable pain, accompanied by severe swelling of the gums.
So for a long time to recognize the symptoms is almost impossible, but there are factors that appear at a late stage of the disease, a finding which should be set to go to the doctor.
The reasons for concern are:
- painful, unpleasant, disturbing while chewing;
- the darkening of the surface of the tooth enamel;
- the appearance of flux or cellulitis;
- the presence of copious purulent secretions between the gum and tooth;
- the fever and malaise;
- a sharp headache.
Ignore the above symptoms of the disease in any case impossible, as the granuloma over time, becomes chronic and can develop into a jaw cyst in a patient’s mouth formed a dense capsule, the contents of which are necrotic masses, actively multiplying bacteria and the dead bacteria.
Because in the early stages of the disease outwardly, the infected tooth is not different from the healthy, recognize it is only possible with visible growth and festering already affected area.
To detect granulomas, the dentist is required to conduct a detailed examination of the patient — the symptoms of the disease are usually noticeable immediately, in the form of swelling on the gums and pain in that area.
By far the most accurate and precise method of diagnosis is radiography where the damaged area is visible as a darkened area – a dark «pit» at the base of the tooth. Also for her recognition of the patient make the radiovisiography (diagnostics of a condition of teeth using digital radiographic equipment).
Treatment of granuloma at the root of the tooth
As a rule, the size of the granuloma, tissue of the tooth and present complications depends on the method of treatment. They are of the following types:
- Therapeutic methods.
- Folk remedies.
Such treatments are possible only in the early stages of disease are due to sulfanilamides and antibiotics, these drugs directly counteract infectious defeat. Sometimes this treatment also involves the restoration of a tooth from destruction, thanks to modern methods of prosthetics.
In turn, the filling has five main stages:
- opening amazed granuloma of the tooth and cleaning its internal channels;
- flushing of the channels with a special solution, and then laying them medications;
- tooth filling is a temporary filling;
- re-processing channels antibacterial drugs;
- final filling of the tooth and its restoration.
Is mandatory drug treatment given to a patient as a course of antibiotics, in order to avoid further inflammation throughout the body, and also to prevent the possibility of potential complications and recurrences.
The doctors are trying to avoid surgery, but because of neglect patients therapeutic treatments at an early stage, lack of surgery on the diseased tooth becomes impossible.
Based on the presence of complications and stage, before the operation the patient open the gum to drain the pus and then install a drain in the wound (no longer than three days).
There are several methods surgical intervention.
► Root apex resection (cystectomy)
Granted, if affected by the granuloma, the tooth is of strategic importance. The process consists of opening the tooth, wash it with a disinfectant solution and remove the inflammation along with the root tip, after which the removed tissue replaced with artificial, and the tooth sealed.
The difficulty is just the same in that the operation can not be qualitative for permanent tooth where the risk of such formations most common.
Carried out in cases of impossibility to keep the root, or one of the roots of the tooth. During the operation removed not only the granuloma, but the part of the crown. It should be noted that the procedure is performed only on multirooted teeth.
After hemisection of the tooth are sure to put a crown and carefully monitor his condition through x-ray control.
The removal is resorted to only in the late stages of disease development, when:
- the patient has periodontitis at the stage of formation of a gingival pocket;
- in the case of vertical cracks, root;
- with multiple severe destruction of the tooth.
In the case of surgery, the pus is removed through a specially made wound, and after some time, the granuloma disappears itself.
Another method of removal of the disease, which is considered one of the best and most sparing in its kind. In this procedure a laser beam is injected through a channel inside the granulomas, thereby causing evaporation of the latter.
Laser radiation not only has a beneficial effect in General on the enamel and tissues, but also guarantees complete retention of the tooth and does not cause stress to the patient and provides a completely painless process, however, in normal clinics may lack such equipment.
Yourself to cure the disease at home will not work. However, in order to prevent or to alleviate symptoms you can use the following recipes:
- Tincture of calamus and propolis should pour vodka and insist in a dark place for two weeks, 30 grams of dried root of sweet flag and as many grams of propolis. Once ready, the infusion should be carefully drain. Using them is to rinse the oral cavity: prepared solutions must be mixed in a ratio of 1:1 (only in spoon). Important: do not rinse longer than 3-5 minutes.
- Plaque formed on the nail when lowered into Linden honey is method is very extreme but has a strong enabling power. For cooking you need to drop the hot nail into lime honey, and after a couple of minutes to remove the formed plaque on it with a knife. The resulting mass apply on the inflamed gums to relieve swelling and pain in the area of granulomas.
Video: a cyst or a granuloma?
Disregard for the treatment of granuloma at the root of the tooth can adversely affect the patient’s health and trigger serious consequences:
- the destruction of the root apex of the tooth and the loss of him;
- sepsis, sinusitis, pyelonephritis is possible with the spread of the infection throughout the body;
- osteomyelitis of the jaw – when purulent process of the bone tissue;
- meningitis, encephalitis, inflammation of the peripheral nerves – often in the transition of infection into the maxillary sinus or the anterior fossa of the skull;
- a cyst that is treated is much more difficult, can provoke cancer.
The disease is a constant source of infection in the body, hence, it can lead to various diseases, ranging from the flux and ending with the diseases of internal organs.
Prevention will be the same measures recommended by dentists for hygiene on every day:
- regular cleaning of the oral cavity;
- rinsing after each meal;
- regular visits to the dentist (2 times per year);
- healthy lifestyle: regular exercise and a balanced diet;
- timely treatment of caries and gingivitis;
- prophylactic mouth rinsing with a special mouthwash or herbal infusions;
- use a soft toothbrush so as not to damage, to injure the gums.
► Is it possible to save the tooth?
Yes, save it as inflamed gums, it is possible, however, treatment depends on the extent of the disease and its abandonment. If the problem was not identified at an early stage, often the treatment can be the removal of a tooth or surgery on the gums.
According to the international classification of diseases, granuloma is 11 the class («Diseases of digestive organs»), in section K13 («Other diseases of lip and mucosa of the oral cavity») and is encoded K13.4 – «revealed Granuloma and lesions of the mucous membrane of the oral cavity».