A sore cheek but not the tooth hurts: how to treat
Usually at the onset of health problems appears the pain is the first sign of pathological changes in the body. So when a sore cheek, but the tooth does not hurt, the question arises: what causes this condition? Often there is a swelling in this area. Will help to cope with this problem the doctor after the preliminary diagnosis. If your cheeks hurt and swollen, do not need to hesitate and you should go for a consultation with a doctor. Only a specialist can pinpoint the cause and prescribe appropriate treatment.
Causes of pain in the cheek or gum
Why a sore cheek? Usually the pain occurs due to swollen gums, can be caused by many factors:
- The inflammatory process in the tooth part of the root. It can occur after extensive caries or pulpitis usually when the nerve is long deleted. Inflammation when it goes to the root of the tooth. The doctor can establish the cause for redness in the area of the affected tooth and slight swelling of the gums.
- Perikoronit. It occurs when a wisdom tooth cut through with certain difficulties. Typically, this occurs in the interval from 17 to 30 years. The inflammatory process appears in the area of the tooth, painful place swells, and may even form a hematoma.
- Tumor. It can be malignant or benign in nature. In this case, swollen gums or cheek. Formed as a result of trauma or prolonged inflammation.
- Abscess or cellulitis. It develops when the cavity of the gums or cheeks filled with pus. In abscess there is a clear localization of the formation of pus with its borders, cellulitis, pus can spread to neighboring tissue.
- Gingivitis. This is the initial stage of periodontitis, characterized by bleeding and swollen gums. Appears as a result of poor oral hygiene in places where food and dental plaque, and poor attachment of the crown.
- Thermal or chemical burns to the gums or cheeks.
- Mechanical trauma.
All these reasons require medical intervention. An exception may be tumors of the gums and cheeks, which arose as a result of tooth extraction or treatment of the root. All of this is considered a natural process which will take place over time on their own.
In addition, the cheek may ache and swelling due to insect bites, due to such infectious diseases as mumps with injury to the soft tissue of the cheek, herpes, etc. Pain in the cheek can be the result of neuralgia.
Effects of treatment
Sometimes the pain in my cheek and her swelling occurs after dental procedures. The reason for this state can be:
- Allergic reaction, for example, due to the sensitivity of the body to the restorative material. In this case, you will have to go back to the dentist and put a new seal from hypoallergenic material.
- As a result of treatment of pulpitis, after removal of the nerve. He may not have been completely removed, you will need a second procedure.
- Pain after removal of a diseased tooth is not uncommon. To develop the tumor, it should be for a few days to give up alcohol, hot treatments, solid food. If swelling appears, you need to make to cheek with cold compresses.
- If you have made an incision in the gums. This is usually done for pumping pus. In this case, the pain and swelling are present for a few days.
If the cheek is sore as a result of acute sinusitis
Acute sinusitis may develop on the background of the common cold. The sinus is the paranasal sinuses, in the process of inflammation or infection develops on the inside sinusitis. If you do not treat this disease, the infection can penetrate further and reach even to the brain.
Acute sinusitis can be identified by the following features:
- burning sensation and pain in the sinuses, from which sensitive be eyes, nose, forehead, and cheek and even swells;
- nose is stuffed up, breathing is difficult;
- the inflammatory process in the throat;
- headache, chills;
- impaired perception of smell and taste;
- mouth may come an unpleasant odor;
The treatment must appoint a physician. Desirable bed rest, if necessary, antipyretics or painkillers. If the disease is delayed, then prescribe a course of antibiotics may clear the sinuses surgically.
Swollen cheek: what to do
The pain in my cheek and no pain in the tooth appears, as was found, for many reasons. But to establish them needs a doctor, as well as prescribe treatment. If the patient starts to be treated yourself, drink painkillers, finally smeared the whole picture of the disease. Then to make an accurate diagnosis will be difficult.
If the opportunity to go to the doctor in the moment, the temporary measures you can do yourself at home:
- Trauma cheeks, bug bite or after removal of the tooth attach to the cheek with a cold compress. If fever or suspect the presence of an infectious process, such actions are prohibited.
- Rinse your mouth with a solution with equal amounts of baking soda and salt. Such measures are useful when problems with teeth or mouth. In a glass of warm boiled water is taken in 1/2 tsp salt and baking soda.
- If you had an insect bite, then apply to cheek soda poultice and drink an antihistamine.
- Pain from eruption of wisdom tooth can soothe special freezing gels and ointments. They are usually sold for babies. Or you can drink analgesic drug.
All these measures can be carried out, if a person knows the exact cause of the pain in my cheek and its swollen. If the pain and swelling is not gone after 1-2 days, you should consult a doctor. A medical emergency and requires rapid tumor growth, increased body temperature and a sharp deterioration of the human condition.
For example, after an insect bite, a person may begin to grow rapidly the tumor, he had difficulty breathing, there is dizziness. All of this points to the development of acute allergic reaction to the bite. In this case there is an urgent need to give him an antihistamine and call the ambulance.
Pain and inflammation in the area of the inner side cheeks can be easily avoided if you adhere to several recommendations:
- Daily monitor the cleanliness of the mouth, for this is to use a toothbrush, floss, paste, special brush, etc.
- For the prevention of dental disease 2 times a year to visit the dentist.
- With any dental plan or other to visit a doctor.
- When choosing a diet to give preference to such products that will be useful not only for General health but also your teeth, gums and oral cavity.
- To prevent the development of infection, and the cheek was not ill, need time to heal all the inflammation and colds.
If the pain in his cheek had already emerged and to deal with it want faster, you should not drink painkillers, when there is an opportunity in the short time to reach the doctor. Any medication can complicate the diagnosis and then the treatment will not bring the desired results.