Abscess of the throat: what it is, photos, symptoms, treatment
Abscess of the throat can be a frequent consequence of tonsillitis the inadequate treatment of the disease, what it is, and also photos reflecting symptoms, symptoms and stages of surgical treatment will help you understand the distinguishing features of this purulent process.
Under the term «abscess of the throat,» you see inflammatory disease occurring with the formation of exudate in colamination space. The disease usually occurs after suffering tonsillitis and requires urgent surgical and medical treatment, as any purulent processes localized in the head and neck without proper treatment is fraught with serious complications.
Types and classification
Due to topographical features of the abscess of the throat can be confused with similar lesions of the larynx, so the existing classification of pathologies reflects the processes observed in the oropharynx.
► Any inflammation occurring with the emergence of pus, passes through several stages of development of the disease.
- The exudate – signs of increasing inflammation, which accumulates serous or purulent discharge.
- Abscess formation is the most pronounced period of the disease, when suppuration reaches its maximum and observed the destruction of the fiber.
- The fading phenomena is the final stage, during which the opening of the abscess, and in the absence of medical intervention – the chronic process.
► On topographical grounds there are three groups:
- peritonsillar abscess – inflammation affects the areas around the tonsils;
- a peritonsillar abscess is a purulent melting of the areolar tissue in the peripharyngeal region;
- retropharyngeal abscess pathological process occurs in the retropharyngeal space.
► Localization of accumulation of pus in the throat:
- anterior – most common, when infection enters through the mouth and settles in the recesses of the tonsils, where the inflammation;
- rear – pus accumulates between the adenoids and rear palatinal arc;
- the lower process flows under the lower pole of the Palatine tonsils, causing external signs of the disease are mild;
- side – very rare pathology, but it has the largest number of severe complications, as the abscess is located between the cluster of lymphoid tissue and the outer surface of the neck.
The disease is often found in children and adolescents and young people up to 20 years. Prerequisites why you may develop an abscess of the throat, a few.
However, the most common as a child and an adult, is considered to be infectious pathology of ENT organs. The disease occurs due to bacteria that produce pus: Staphylococcus, Streptococcus and some types of E. coli, but also Proteus and Klebsiella.
Among the main reasons are the following:
- effects sore throat – tonsillitis, which was not fully cured or applied the wrong medication to eliminate its root causes. Palatine tonsils are loose and lacunar structure, but also covered with a thin layer of the capsule shell, causing bacteria can easily penetrate into cavities and remain there. The bloodstream infection spreads to various parts of the throat, where there is a suppuration. This often happens during pregnancy, when hormonal changes changes the body;
- trauma – there is a direct injury cellular spaces located near the throat. This can occur at impact, the fall, and also in case of accidental ingestion of sharp objects such as bones from fish. Abscess develops without antecedent of temperature and inflammation. In the wound channel and penetrate pyogenic bacteria, and then it festered;
- lomatogona – the poor state of the oral cavity where there are destroyed by caries teeth, gingivitis, periodontal disease or periodontitis;
- immune – due to low protective properties of the body, even not serious disease, such as SARS or the flu, can provoke the development of inflammation in the cavity of the throat;
- diagnostic intervention is the most rare cause, when after a short period of time after bronchoscopy or gastroscopy arises of suppuration.
More than 75% of cases, abscess of the throat develops after suffering tonsillitis. When severe hypothermia, decrease of immune protection and vitamin deficiency bacteria start to proliferate which leads to the recurrence of the process with subsequent suppuration of fiber.
Signs of disease occur almost from the first hours after the beginning of the development process. When the phenomenon of tonsillitis subside and the patient feels much better, suddenly, fever, weakness, severe pain in the throat, impeding eating and even swallowing saliva.
Abscess of the throat is characterized by certain symptoms, which indicate the accession of purulent infection to inflammation of the tonsils.
- Irradiation of pain along the branches of the nerve plexus in the ear and the area of the alveolar process.
- Spastic contraction of the masticatory muscles, causing movement of the jaw and the mouth opening is difficult.
- The feeling of a foreign body in the throat.
- Squeezing the throat allows you to swallow food, and sometimes leads to profuse salivation due to the inability to swallow the secreted fluid.
- The increase in size and tenderness when you touch the lymph nodes located in the neck and submandibular region.
- Hot meal strengthens the pain, and cold reduces its severity.
- The occurrence of unpleasant odor of pus from the mouth.
- The voice acquires a nasal character.
- Marked deterioration in health, there is weakness, lethargy and insomnia.
When there is a spontaneous opening of the abscess, the human condition for some time is improving – lost throbbing pain and feeling of fullness.
In severe cases, when the infiltration has large dimensions, shortness of breath because of the violation of the air passage and blocking the entrance to the larynx, and the patient noted increased pain when turning head and neck.
At the intraoral examination is determined by redness and significant swelling of peritonsillar region, enlarged tonsils, sometimes they are biased towards. When severe swelling impaired mobility of the tongue and Palatine arches.
To determine the source of the disease and the diagnosis is based on clinical and laboratory research:
- medical history – the doctor asked how long ago, any deterioration and discomfort in the throat, preceded by whether the disease angina or traumatic injury;
- inspection – visually determined by changing the contours of the neck and the color of the skin;
- pharyngoscope – reveals asymmetry of the tonsils, with their redness, increase in size, swelling of the soft tissues of the throat and the presence of purulent infiltration;
- laryngoscopy is examination of the larynx is necessary, as is often the abscess affects the body;
- additional methods – ultrasound, MRI, CT and x-rays performed in cases where the inspection does not allow to determine accurately the disease and its localization.
Differential diagnosis is carried out with scarlet fever, diphtheria, cellulitis, tumors and abscess of the lingual tonsil root of tongue.
Abscess of the throat treatment
A prerequisite for successful recovery is the autopsy a purulent focus. When surgical intervention in children will patient treatment to monitor the child’s condition.
If the abscess is small in size, and it has a good access, with no pronounced symptoms of intoxication in the adult, and possible outpatient therapy. Usually after surgery need to go through a medication course antibiotics.
By the end of the third or fourth day, the abscess is «ripe» and you want it to drain, which proceeds according to the General rules of antisepsis and surgery.
- anesthesia – in most cases, a local anesthetic, however, copious amounts of exudate can not completely eliminate the sensitivity due to an acidic environment that destroys the molecules of the medication. In this case, the prior administration of analgesic drugs or is mindalikovye blockade;
- antiseptic – operated surface is wiped with disinfecting solution to reduce microbial contamination;
- the autopsy, the incision is made on the most bulging part of the abscess with a thin, sharp scalpel followed by pushing the edges of the wound for a full vicodine purulent exudate. With abundant bleeding on vessels superimposed hemostatic clip;
- drainage – installation of drainage glove rubber prevents the adhesion of the wound channel and the excretion of pus.
After the operation the patient is prescribed medication. To accelerate the healing in the area of purulent accumulations are often imposed injection glyukokortikoidov. However, the main therapy is done with the help of antibiotics.
- Penicillins – Amoxiclav, Ampicillin.
- Macrolides – Erythromycin, Clarithromycin, Roxithromycin.
- Cephalosporins – Ceftriaxone.
This is the most effective group of antibiotics, which actively eliminate bacterial infection. The use of drugs tetracycline and aminoglycosides are not effective in the case of the process of the abscessed throat.
The complex conservative treatment also includes other drugs:
- antihistamine – remove the swelling of the soft tissues (Suprastin, Tavegil, loratidine);
- analgesic and anti-inflammatory – eliminate post-operative pain and struggling with the symptoms of inflammation (Nise, Ketorolac, Nurofen);
- Immunostimulants and vitamin complexes – enhance the body’s resistance (Imudon);
- antiseptic – gargling with disinfectant solutions promotes a speedy recovery (Hlorgeksidin, Miramistin, Hexetidine);
- antistaphylococcal immunoglobulin – assigned when a process caused by Staphylococcus.
The use of traditional medicine will not eliminate an abscess of the throat without the help of doctors, but performing rinse at home after surgery will help to get rid of the disease and accelerate the healing of wounds:
- salt solution – one tablespoon of the substance mix in 100 ml of warm boiled water. Received means rinse the throat 3-4 times a day;
- chamomile broth – 10 g of powdered collection zaparte Cup of boiling water and put on 40 minutes to draw. After strain the infusion, do baths for the cavity of the throat and mouth;
- Kalanchoe juice – mix liquid plants with water in the ratio 1:1 and treat the problem area as needed;
- sage infusion – a tablespoon of raw put it in a thermos, cover with hot water. After use the infusion for rinsing 5-6 times a day.
Timely treatment for medical help to avoid severe complications and provide quick relief from the disease.
Video: abscess in the throat and its treatment in the program «Live healthy» Elena malyshevoy.
The worst arrangement is characterized by abscess in the lower part of the throat, as the development of purulent infiltration under the amygdala can lead to respiratory failure. This localization is uncommon, in other cases, when timely and adequate treatment is there a recovery.
Complications develop when the patient asks for help or declines the proposed therapeutic modalities. What a dangerous abscess of the throat? When there was performed surgical intervention and the patient was not taken antibiotics, there is a high probability of dissemination of the process and the development of phlegmon of peripharyngeal space, which significantly impairs the patient’s condition.
Refusal of medical care or the wrong therapy can lead to serious consequences.
- Hemorrhaging arteries in the neck.
- Thrombosis of the jugular vein.
- Infectious-toxic shock.
Purulent inflammation of the throat in the early stages is easily treatable, so it is important not to delay treatment to the doctor. The recurrence of the process occurs in 10% of cases.
In order to prevent an abscess, you must follow certain rules:
- when tonsillitis strictly follow the instructions of the doctor, the medication, gargle with antiseptic solutions;
- to maintain immunity at a high level, this is to eat foods rich in vitamins and minerals;
- to maintain a healthy lifestyle;
- engage in regular physical exercise;
- to monitor the health of the oral cavity;
- constant hygienic care of the body;
- in case of any infection use of antibacterial agents.
► Contagious abscess of the throat?
The disease may not be contagious on the basis of the etiology and transmission of disease. If the pathology is the inflammatory process affecting cellular spaces of space, located in the region of the tonsils.
► How is it delivered?
The abscess is not transmitted from person to person as purulent fusion of tissues occurs as a response of the organism to the spread of bacterial infection.