Aphthous stomatitis: treatment in adults and children
Treatment of aphthous stomatitis in adults and children is conducted after a thorough diagnosis, given all the major associated symptoms, it should be noted that this form of the disease is one of the most common. This is evidenced by international statistics respondents of patients.
Aphthous stomatitis is a disease that disrupts the mucosal surface of the oral cavity and is accompanied by the appearance single or multiple ulcers (AFL).
In modern medicine there is no single approach to determining the causes of disease, including ulcerative. Etiology, according to experts, may be due to the following factors:
- diseases of the digestive system, provoking a disorder in the oral cavity and caused the emergence of the AFL;
- viral disease;
- allergic to certain substances on the mucous membrane of the oral cavity;
- a variety of injuries to the mouth and mucous membranes;
- genetic predisposition, other factors can contribute to the onset of stomatitis;
- bacteria become causative agents of diseases;
- improper diet, lack of certain vitamins or substances in the body;
- hormonal changes in the body (e.g., pregnancy, transition to adulthood)
A definite answer to the question why there is stomatitis, no, this can be one particular factor, and a number of reasons. Because of this the number of possible causes of the disease, to suffer from it, everyone can.
Aphthous form of stomatitis may carry symptoms that affect not only the mouth but the entire body. The course of the disease is divided into phases:
- In the first stage the body is weakened, can significantly rise the temperature. A person feels some discomfort in the oral cavity, loses appetite. After some time on the oral mucosa appear redness, which can stand out not only in color but also in temperature, with time they turn into sores that accompanied by pain.
- In the second phase, already clearly manifest to himself aphthae: ulcers that can be worn as ordinary and multiple in nature, they clearly stand out compared to other areas of the mouth not only a grayish color and a bright red rim. It has the correct round or oval and size up to half an inch. At this stage, much worse pain in the place the appearance of aphthae, and worsens the General condition of the body.
- In the third stage the body is recovering, up to this point with the onset of the disease is approximately 1 – 1.5 months. The sore will gradually disappear in its place is an obvious redness, while there is improvement of the entire body.
As you can see, at all stages of the disease and the whole body suffers, which undoubtedly affects the process of recovery. In any case, the appearance on the mucous membrane ulcers, you should consult a doctor, because this disease often gives complications and needs a complex treatment.
To determine the presence of aphthous stomatitis doctor simply look at the affected area. Also the dentist can point out what is the nature of disease: chronic, acute or recurrent.
More difficulties in the process of diagnosis of stomatitis is determining its causes, as mentioned above, the etiology of this disease remains not fully understood.
The doctor may ask the following questions:
— when the first signs;
— what were the symptoms;
— were there any injuries of the oral cavity;
— any history of similar disease in relatives;
— are there allergies.
If such an inquiry won’t shed light on the problem of the appearance of aphthous stomatitis, the doctor may send the patient to a variety of additional research. Laboratory tests will give a clearer picture, which can significantly simplify treatment, to make more effective the prevention of disease.
For a better understanding of the scope and nature of aphthous stomatitis can be induced at several photos of the most common forms and types of disease to understand how it looks.
On the lip
Forms and types
A subspecies of stomatitis, aphthous as, in turn, is also divided into a variety of forms and types. Depending on all sorts of criteria there are several classifications of this disease:
- The nature of the disease:
- acute form of the disease, the cause of which is often a viral infection. In this case, the possible occurrence of one or more ulcers.
- chronic form of the disease that manifests over several years. It is characterized by periods of exacerbation and attenuation of disease in the oral cavity can detect aphthous ulcers at different stages of development. Doctors believe that the most likely cause of this disease is low immunity among other factors.
- The nature of the lesion of the mucosa of the mouth (shape):
- deforming – is considered the most dangerous form of aphthous stomatitis, it is characterized by a severe course of the disease, deep lose and shape change of the oral mucosa;
- granulema – a disease associated with dysfunction of the salivary glands;
- scarring also occurs in the salivary glands, but can be much larger in diameter and flow heavier in the healing process on the mucosa of the oral cavity are still visible scars;
- necrotic – cause of the appearance can be a complex disease of the body. In this form, in the oral cavity on the center aft appear necrosis, the healing process takes about 1 month.
- Place of origin:
- on the inside of the lips and cheeks (most often);
- in the language;
- in the sky.
All of these forms of diseases are different and require an individual and comprehensive treatment. Therefore, the detection of any kind of canker sores you should consult with your doctor.
Treatment of aphthous stomatitis
Depending on the patient’s age and General condition of the body the treatment of thrush will be different but in any case, it is necessary and need to know how and what to do. After all, if the disease is run, it can cause not only discomfort with the facial expression of the lower face and eating, but also give serious complications.
Most often, experts recommend first treating ulcers of antiseptics. Because they are quite painful aphthae, when such procedures are used not too much local anesthesia (with the help of pastes and solutions).
- for obessolivanija (Lidocaine, Benzocaine, Hexoral, Tabs);
- for immediate treatment (sprays — Lugol, Geksoral, Ingalipt; gel Actovegin, Holisal);
- for healing (folic acid, propolis spray, sea buckthorn oil, as well as drugs Vinilin, Cartoon).
After these measures the sores usually start to heal, but that doesn’t mean that we should stop treatment. To completely get rid of aft needs some time to rinse your mouth with solutions that have a healing effect.
It full treatment reduces the chance of relapse. Also, a comprehensive treatment may include antibiotics and other drugs prescribed by your doctor. All patients in the recommended manner prescribed complex of vitamins.
Aphthous stomatitis in children can occur is much more difficult than adults to be accompanied by strong painful sensations, difficulty in diagnosing.
In the case of detection of the child features of ulcerative stomatitis, you must immediately consult a doctor, he should pay maximum attention to the treatment of ulcers, the improvement of the whole oral cavity of the child. Also, it was necessary to determine the cause that resulted in the emergence of the disease.
In the organization of treatment and selection of drugs, there are significant differences from the same process in adults. Drugs need to be less aggressive natural origin. This, of course, may increase the terms of treatment, however, will necessarily have a positive effect on the child’s body.
- vitamin C (as advised to give the child in a non-acidic version);
- multivitamin with zinc;
- the pribiotikov on the type of acidophilus, Bifidok;
- aloe Vera (cut a leaf to attach to the wound, you can also chew it if ulcers a lot);
- the juice of carrots or cabbage (diluted with water 50/50);
- a) take the white of an egg, 1 teaspoon honey, 1 teaspoon sunflower oil and 1 ampoule of novocaine 0,5%;
b) stir the ingredients so as to obtain a homogeneous mass, and then process it in the mouth.
- Take infusion pharmacy chamomile and rinse aft added boric acid (4 g).
Special attention in the case of aphthous stomatitis in a child, should be paid to its prevention, to do everything possible so that the disease does not progress and is not passed into the chronic stage.
All taken at home measures to get rid of ulcerative stomatitis should be additional in nature, the main treatment is to trust the expert. Folk remedies effective for antiseptic action, and we recommend that you use the following solution:
- Take the hydrogen peroxide in the amount of 60 ml and mix it with water (also 60 ml). Add 1 teaspoon of baking soda and 1 tsp salt.
- Stir the resulting solution gargle of mouth (several times a day).
At home you can use a variety of solutions: tincture of propolis, calendula, chamomile, St. John’s wort, thyme, calendula, etc.
It should be remembered that the tincture, which are sold in pharmacies can also be diluted, because aphthae are very painful and sensitive, especially in children.
Prevention of aphthous stomatitis is primarily to correct and comprehensive care of the oral cavity. If you have ever been ulcerative stomatitis, you should systematically approach the process of preventing it.
For example, try to avoid physical damage to the mucous membrane of the mouth, raise the level of their immunity, since the first appearance of aphthae, could mean problems with it.
Very great importance has the determination of the causes of stomatitis. If they lie in the gastrointestinal tract or in other body systems, it is necessary to refer to appropriate specialists, otherwise the disease will become chronic and will deliver much more trouble.
If aphthae began to appear too often, you should go on a special diet is to avoid too solid food.
Video: aphthous stomatitis — inflammation of oral mucosa («Live healthy» Elena malyshevoy)
Contagious or not?
As already mentioned, the etiology of this disease is not clearly defined, however most experts agree on the opinion that aphthous stomatitis is not contagious, unlike some other types of this disease.
If passed aphthous stomatitis with a kiss?
If the cause of the appearance of aphthous stomatitis was caused by injuries, complex problems of patient’s body, kissing it won’t be transmitted. If the cause of the AFL is a virus, then transmission of the disease in this way is possible.
What kind of doctor treats?
Depending on the causes of aft treatment of the stomatitis can engage different experts, but first and foremost, you should always consult the dentist.
How is it treated?
Depending on the type and form of the disease, it can be treated, from one week (the usual sharp form) to several months (deforming form).
What to do during pregnancy?
Consult your doctor and inform about their situation. In the treatment process to use only natural products.
Code according to ICD 10?
According to the International classification of diseases, aphthous stomatitis code is K12.0 (Recurrent aphthae of the oral cavity)