Baby bottle tooth decay in children: treatment, causes, photos
Baby bottle tooth decay is common in children on artificial feeding. In the article treatment, causes, submitted a photo for review.
Carious lesions accompany man all his life. They occur in children and adults. Among the different types of dental diseases doctors distinguish a special kind of defeat of hard tissues of tooth baby bottle tooth decay.
Most often this disease occurs in children who at night drink the sweet mixture or other liquids, having in its composition the sugar. Although sometimes this circular caries can be detected and infants – toddlers, feeding breast milk.
What is baby bottle tooth decay?
Caries, which is diagnosed in young children, commonly called bottle. It has its own characteristics of education, flow of process and treatment, therefore is allocated in a separate type of tooth decay.
This disease occurs in primary teeth, while the affected enamel and dentin. At risk are children under the age of 2-3 years who use artificial baby formula, soft drinks, packaged juices.
Sugar from the drink stays on the teeth all night, as the viscosity of the saliva in the dark increases, and its generation is reduced, the teeth are not washed sufficiently. It refers to the main reason for the development of the lesion.
Often this type of caries is also called «milk» or «nursery».
- Cavities are located primarily on the front teeth of the upper jaw.
- Tooth decay spreads circularly, surrounding the neck of the tooth.
- High intensity of development of carious process.
- Simultaneous failure of several teeth.
- A quick transition from the initial stage to the subsequent.
Recently prorezalsya milk teeth are immature solid tissue, therefore under the influence of acids and carbohydrates, they are rapidly destroyed. A couple of months, and sometimes for several weeks, a small carious spot is transformed into a large cavity, and sometimes reaches the pulp
The development of bottle caries goes through all the stages characteristic of carious lesions. The speed of propagation of the process all children of the individual, but because of the immaturity of the structural elements, recently prorezalsya teeth are destroyed faster.
- the initial stage is manifested by the formation of malovydne spots on the front surface of the tooth. Defeat affects only the superficial layers of the enamel. At this stage, parents rarely notice changes on the teeth, and if you see white spots, don’t give them value. Although the treatment of this form of caries is the most comfortable and painless for the baby — is fluoridation of the dental tissue;
- superficial lesions are formed carious cavity within the enamel, not reaching to the border with dentin. Tooth color varies from yellowish to brown. The first complaint the child, because the teeth become sensitive;
- the average caries – the stage at which parents most often seek treatment to the doctor. A vast cavity, which has sharp edges saped. The process develops a deeper, affecting the underlying dentin. The child says that it hurts to take a very cold or hot drinks, and there are short-term pain attacks from sugary foods. If the baby is very young and not yet talking, the signs of pain are expressed in his behavior and facial expressions in the process of absorption of food;
- deep caries – the final stage of current decay. Cavity deep, wide. Complaints of the baby increase, it hurts to chew food, so he tries to eat on one side, so as not to cause discomfort. Deep caries acute form of flow rarely occurs in children because of its rapid transition into the pulpit.
Video: what is baby bottle tooth decay?
Baby bottle tooth decay milk teeth, according to many dentists, develops due to frequent night feedings of sugar-containing drinks from a bottle.
Not all children who are on artificial feeding, nursery suffer from tooth decay, because its appearance is influenced by various factors. The etiology is not fully understood, otherwise I would have developed the means healing from this disease.
From creating tooth decay in early childhood:
- the state of the child’s immune system – the immune system protects the baby from infectious diseases, on the background of weakening it raises the likelihood of tooth decay;
- inadequate oral hygiene – brushing teeth should become a habit for life. From an early age parents are required to monitor the oral hygiene of the baby and to teach him the use of the brush. If knowledge of the parents is not sufficient, the dentist will tell you how to properly care for your teeth;
- buffer properties of saliva at night the saliva becomes more viscous, and its number is markedly reduced, because of this, it cannot cleanse the teeth;
- eating habits – eating sugary foods in large quantities contributes to the development of carious process. The effect of carbohydrates on the formation of cavities scientifically proven;
- feeding at night – after drinking sweet drinks at night, the teeth are not subjected to cleansing, wherein the carbohydrates are a kind of magnet, attracting plaque, where cariogenic microorganisms multiply. During breast feeding this risk does not exist, because with the right attachment, there is no direct contact of milk with teeth, and it doesn’t linger long in the mouth. In addition, the act of suckling has a beneficial effect on the production of saliva;
- caries parents – ruined teeth of the mother are an additional source of infection after kissing, and when my mother first tries baby foods with a spoon, and then she offers to eat the baby, you pass a saliva with the bacteria that cause cavities;
- genetic predisposition – it is impossible to deny the fact that in some families people have cavities rarely and in small quantities, and others have teeth affected by tooth decay one after the other, even with compliance with food hygiene standards.
Primary signs of tooth decay parents rarely notice, so it is important 2-3 times a year to drive the kid to the dentist. In the event of defeat, the doctor will pay attention to it and choose the adequate method of treatment.
External symptoms similar to the manifestations of tooth decay in adults, however, present distinctive features.
- The initial and subsequent stages are formed by recesses in the hard tissues of the tooth.
- Often affects the incisors and canines in the upper jaw.
- Circular spread of caries surrounding the neck of the tooth.
- The color of the tooth changes.
- Pain when you eat foods with a sharp drop in temperature.
- The discomfort from chemical stimuli such as sweet and sour.
- The rapid development process.
The diagnosis of «baby bottle tooth decay» is recorded by the dentist on the basis of the following studies:
- Visual inspection.
- Instrumental methods of investigation such as probing and percussion.
- The temperature of the sample.
- Vital staining.
- X-ray diagnostics is only possible in exceptional cases.
Differential diagnosis is carried out for accurate diagnosis and choosing the correct treatment method.
- of enamel erosion – non-carious lesions of the tooth. In the early stages unobtrusive. A characteristic feature is the presence of foci on the anterior surface of the tooth, with the bottom of the cavity is smooth and shiny, often is not changed in color;
- imperfect amelogenesis – a hereditary disease in which the teeth erupt with the existing pathological manifestations in the form of violation of the enamel structure;
- enamel hypoplasia – also applies to congenital diseases of the teeth, with enamel hypoplasia may be of various degrees, up to its absence.
How to treat baby bottle tooth decay in children?
Tooth decay refers to those diseases that are not tested independently, so while the child’s primary symptoms, consult a doctor without delay. The postponement of the visit for weeks or months, will inevitably lead to the emergence of complicated caries and tooth loss.
The method of treatment determined by the dentist on the basis of the clinical picture, the history and attitude of the child to contact.
To stop the spread of caries at the initial stage of the spot is possible without the use of a drill, but in subsequent stages, the treatment is more radical.
- silver plating is a popular method since the Soviet Union, which now is sometimes used in budget dentistry. The carious process if it has already manifested itself in the form of small cavities in the enamel, you can stop by applying films of silver nitrate. It securely seals the defeat, however, the method has a significant drawback – black staining of the tooth structure, remaining until the change of teeth;
- remineralization is a method based on the effects of fluoride and calcium. Medications used for this purpose, penetrate the structure of the enamel, strengthening it. The treatment is effective at the initial stage of caries development. The dentist uses special gels and varnishes, fluoride based, however, you should understand that to receive results from the treatment, it should be course. For home use, doctors often recommend tooth gel toss mousse, which included calcium and complex on the basis of casein. The formula is patented and unique development of GC;
- classic dissection – the familiar method of treatment used with subsequent filling of the defect. It is important that parents beforehand, told in a playful way the child that awaits him without intimidation.
Folk remedies are used more prophylactic than for getting rid of tooth decay. After all, to remove the carious process without the intervention of a doctor is impossible, and the treatment at home will not bring the desired result. Due to the postponement of the visit to the dentist, caries is compounded and distributed.
Video: the decay of the first teeth in children.
Treatment of bottle tooth decay in a young child is often accompanied by stress, as for the baby and for the parents. Therefore, adults should ensure an adequate level of preventive measures to minimize the risk of bottle caries.
- the oral hygiene is the first and important element to preserve the health of milk teeth. Start cleansing should be the first appeared teeth (like brushing your teeth?). For this purpose it is convenient to use silicone brushes, finger cots, wipes and medical bandage. The procedure is performed daily in the morning after meals and prior to bedtime. As a child gets older, you can instill in him the habit of brushing teeth and teach independent exercise. When the kid will learn to spit – you can apply baby paste for the teeth;
- good nutrition is the source of maintaining the health of the whole body, including dental. With the advent sufficient for chewing and teeth amount, offer your baby solid foods. This helps cleanse the teeth and strengthen the gums. The child’s diet should contain a variety of minerals and vitamins. This will ensure full development of teeth and jaws apparatus;
- minimal intake of starchy foods – take out menu child a variety of candy, cookies, sugary soft drinks. All of these products do not benefit the growing organism, and the carbohydrates are a great breeding ground for the multiplication of cariogenic microorganisms;
- night feeding after six, eight months of age children fed with formula milk, do not need feeding at night. If the baby is thirsty, offer him plain water instead of sweet juices and drinks;
- hygiene parents do not forget the elementary rules of care for your oral cavity. Do not lick your baby spoons, pacifiers, drink from a baby bottle. Pathogenic microbes through saliva fall on these items and using them in his mouth to the baby;
- familiarity with the dentist from an early age encourage your child to visits to the dentist. Should start in those days, when the child is healthy, feels good and is to communicate. During the first visit ask the doctor to meet the baby and tell in the form of a game that is in office. The first experience of going to the dentist is a prerequisite to the emergence of trust and lack of fear of dental treatment, so try to keep it positive.
► Will deep fluoridation for bottle caries?
A definite answer to the question can only be obtained after a thorough study of the clinical picture. Course deep fluoridation special preparations effectively in the early stages of disease and in compliance with proper hygiene care and diet with low sugar content.
► Possible consequences
Ignoring the arising of decay and lack of treatment can lead to the development of purulent-inflammatory process at the root of the milk tooth, where it spreads and affects the permanent tooth germ.
Also, if left untreated carious lesions in the first three stages, it conducts to occurrence of severe pain due to the development of pulpitis or periodontitis. Early removal of milk tooth up to the period of his physiological change disturbs the position of teeth in a row, which leads to their displacement and malocclusion.