Bacterial tonsillitis: symptoms, pictures and treatment
Bacterial tonsillitis is a common disease of the oral cavity, is accompanied by characteristic symptoms, and the treatment be carried out by various methods.
Separately will give tips on dealing with tonsillitis at home and in children, give consideration to a photo and also tell you about prevention measures.
What is bacterial tonsillitis? This disease of the tonsils, which are part of the immune system and play a protective function in the body when they are stricken with diseases of viral or bacterial origin.
Most often the disease is triggered by bacteria streptococci, their appearance in the mouth can lead to pain in the throat and other problems. The situation is complicated by the fact that to test the etiology (to determine what his nature is viral or bacterial), the patient must undergo special testing, without which any treatment may be ineffective.
The bacterium Streptococcus present in every human body and diseases they cause in case of strong attenuation of General or local immunity. Thus, the appearance of tonsillitis of bacterial origin – a sign of health problems and requires serious treatment.
Bacterial tonsillitis is divided into several types depending on the microorganisms that caused the disease and forms of its occurrence. Depending on the frequency of symptoms of the disease it is divided into two types:
- Acute – the patient has only one episode of illness. Simply put, the first appearance of the disease, which can be caused by accidently coinciding factors: the weakening of the General and local immunity, contact with the tonsils harmful microorganisms.
- Chronic – regular appearance of the disease (few times a year). Local immunity of the oral cavity is very low, but the amygdala has lost its protective properties. This form is more common in children, predominantly affects girls.
Depending on the type of microorganisms bacterial tonsillitis can be caused by:
- streptococci group A;
Classification of diseases is carried out only after the analysis with the definition of microorganisms that cause disease.
Video: «Acute bacterial tonsillitis (tonsillitis)» in the program with Elena Malysheva.
Why do I get bacterial tonsillitis? It can be caused by a number of factors, but the major disease microorganisms. Most often it is Streptococcus group A which can be in the human body, and can get there through contacts with the media: using shared dishes, clothes, airborne.
Among adults more common viral tonsillitis, but the children suffer more from bacterial form. The younger the child, the more likely it is that the tonsillitis is caused by bacteria.
There are auxiliary factors, without which the microorganism could not cause such harm to human health:
- the regular appearance of cold;
- the presence of permanent sources of inflammation in the mouth that become bacterial hotbed and weaken the local immunity;
- the decrease in «defense» of the body caused by complex disorders or transferred operations;
- problems with nasal breathing, caused by the presence of polyps or defects of the nasopharynx.
Signs of bacterial tonsillitis in its chronic and acute form can vary, so you should talk about them separately.
- In the acute form there is a sharp onset and high fever in the range 38-40 degrees. The patient feels weak and headache, constantly complains of pain in the throat (eating becomes a real torture). On the surface of the tonsils appear white or light-yellow ulcers and lymph nodes are significantly increased.
- If acute tonsillitis failed to properly and fully cured, it may become chronic, in the throat constantly can observe the symptoms of inflammation. Periodically there are signs resembling acute form.
If bacterial tonsillitis is not observed some of the symptoms that are characteristic viral forms of the disease. For example, a patient suffering from rhinitis or conjunctivitis.
It is noteworthy that in the case of bacterial tonsillitis almost always appear ulcers on the tonsils (cheesy plug), unlike viral forms of the disease, which takes place without such symptoms.
Diagnosis is made primarily on the basis of the patient’s complaints and examination of the oral cavity. To avoid incorrect prescribing, the doctor takes a crop of the affected area and sends it for analysis.
The tests should show whether the disease is bacterial in nature, and which specific bacteria provoked the disease. Modern methods of diagnostics allow maximum accuracy to determine the causative agent in the shortest possible time.
Until the test results the doctor may examine the nasopharynx and the eye of the patient, as in case of bacterial tonsillitis observed rhinitis or conjunctivitis. Thus, the main task of diagnostics is to determine what form of the disease occurs – bacterial and viral. Then begin appropriate treatment.
How to treat bacterial tonsillitis in adults and which apply the medication? Therapeutic measures depend on the form of the disease, and are divided into conservative and surgical.
Conservative methods of treatment used in the case of acute form of the disease. If chronic tonsillitis bacteriological origin, and apply conservative and surgical methods.
Treatment algorithm for acute bacterial tonsillitis as follows:
- the patient is prescribed bed rest is to put this disease on the feet is very dangerous due to the possible severe complications;
- frequent consumption of drinks — they should be neither hot nor cold, but in large quantity. It is best to drink milk and herbal tea, they not only relieve symptoms, but also bring the body to dangerous elements;
- not recommended to eat too spicy or salty foods, food should not be solid, it is best to cook the patient various cereals and mashed potatoes;
- after the determination of microorganisms causing disease, the doctor prescribes appropriate antibiotics. For anesthesia of the affected area using drugs on the basis of paracetamol. To boost the local immunity prescribe nasal sprays (eg IRS-19), preparations for destroying harmful microorganisms (bacterial lysates). In the recipe the doctor will thoroughly painted as often required to take a particular drug;
- every 2-3 hours the throat to rinse with solutions-based antiseptics — use decoctions of various herbs (chamomile, eucalyptus) or drugs: synthesis, Hexetidine.
Treatment of chronic bacterial tonsillitis is made within the period of weakening of the symptoms of the disease and is carried out in several stages:
- rehabilitation of the tonsils is carried out using special drugs or machines such as «Tonsillar», with their help the organs eliminate the ulcers and necrotic particles;
- physical therapy is performed by UHF or electrophoresis;
- the patient is undergoing immunotropic preparations and vitamin complexes (for example, Immunal).
We should also talk about the features of bacterial tonsillitis in pregnant women. Antibiotics, for obvious reasons, can not be used, but the disease must be stopped.
In this case, it is recommended to immediately consult a doctor and tell him about your situation he will prescribe the necessary drugs.
In parallel with the main course of treatment you can use the methods of traditional medicine, about which we still tell. Remember that independent decisions can harm you and your baby!
Video: how to treat chronic bacterial tonsillitis?
If within several years after conservative treatment, the disease reappears, it is recommended to use surgical methods, which consist in excision of the tonsils. They are used if the disease causes complications or soft tissue surrounding the tonsils appear abscesses.
- For surgery the patient is given local anesthesia.
- Diseased organs cut out with a scalpel — in recent years, increasingly popular non-classical methods of removal of the tonsils: a laser or ultrasound.
Treatment is carried out only after a consultation with the doctors, because a wrong treatment can cause serious complications. The main methods of treatment of tonsillitis bacterial nature in the home are rinse and the same antibiotics.
A course of antibiotics lasts from 7 to 10 days, depending on the course of disease. In addition, the house take antipyretics. Preferably based on paracetamol, which has analgesic action.
For gargling is most often used:
- furatsilinovoy solution;
- herbal teas based on chamomile and sage;
- the solutions with extracts of tea tree and eucalyptus;
- brine solutions.
Doctors recommend to gargle such means every hour and a half in the first few days of illness, and the room in which the patient should be every day aired and clean. In addition, the patient must constantly drink warm teas or milk.
Traditional methods can also be widely used to overcome symptoms and acute and chronic bacterial tonsillitis. Here are some effective and simple recipes:
- decoction of chamomile — a tablespoon of dried flowers of plants steamed with boiling water and leave for half an hour, and then proceed to the rinse. This infusion is prepared with the addition of Linden flower in 1 to 1 ratio;
- in a glass of warm water dissolve a tablespoon of honey, then carry out rinsing is one of the most common, simple and effective methods of treatment;
- propolis — a small piece of it should be kept in the mouth for about an hour, occasionally moving in the oral cavity. He is considered a good antiseptic;
- fir oil — applied with a cotton swab for treatment of the affected parts of the throat;
- mix with mint leaves, sage, chamomile flowers and fruits of fennel (a quarter tablespoon of each ingredient) pour boiling water and infuse for 30-40 minutes, then rinse the throat. This collection of medicinal plants has antiseptic, analgesic and healing effect.
Remember that treatment only folk remedies will not be able to overcome the disease is bacterial in nature, so all of the above recipes should be used only with classic medical methods.
Peculiarities of treatment in children
In the treatment process need to pay attention to relief of symptoms, this use of Ibuprofen, which acts both as antipyretic.
► If the disease progresses without temperature, there is a reason to consult a doctor for further consultation, because this symptom may indicate serious violations in the body.
The food should be soft and delicious for a child and it is very important that he eat well, because this will give the body strength to fight the disease, same goes for fluid intake.
In order not to hurt the baby, do not attempt to determine the diagnosis and nature of the disease. When the first symptoms take him to the doctor.
Video: tonsillitis in the program of doctor Komarovsky.
If no measures are taken for the rapid treatment of bacterial tonsillitis, it will lead to the appearance of severe complications. The tonsils are afflicted with bacteria, become a source of diseases that primarily affect the heart and kidneys.
Here are the most common complications are:
- arthritis and rheumatism;
- persistent increase in blood pressure;
- inflammation of the myocardium (myocarditis);
- lesions of the glomeruli of the kidneys (glomerulonephritis).
It is worth noting that the most expensive treatment of tonsillitis is much cheaper and easier than the elimination of the above complications. That is why we recommend at the first symptoms of the disease to see a doctor.
To avoid bacterial tonsillitis is recommended to follow the following rules:
- monitor the body’s General immunity — try to constantly eat foods with vitamins, if necessary, pass the examination;
- avoid hypothermia;
- carefully engage the oral hygiene, avoid it inflammatory lesions;
- regularly go for consultations to the dentist and the otolaryngologist;
- try to give up bad habits, especially Smoking;
Adhering to these rules, you will not only reduce the risk of occurrence of tonsillitis, but will not suffer from many other diseases.
► Viral and bacterial tonsillitis: what is the difference?
The answer to this question lies in the title: source the first form is a virus, and the second bacteria. In symptomatology that manifested in the following ways: in case of viral tonsillitis the patient is suffering from conjunctivitis and rhinitis and, if bacterial it popping ulcers on the tonsils.
► Contagious or not?
Yes, contagious. But, once ingested pathogens may not always cause disease, it all depends on the immune status of the individual.
► How is it delivered?
Airborne droplets through the use of one with the patient utensils, hygiene items. Generally speaking, agents are located in every human body, but their scale of harm depends on the state of its immunity. Bacterial tonsillitis is caused by bacteria living in the human body, called autoinfusion.