Braces pros and cons
Braces, in other words orthodontic brackets represent a design that contributes to correcting the dentition of a person in case of disturbed occlusion or uneven teeth. These devices are attached by a special adhesive on the inner or outer surface of the teeth. Each clasp are connected by a special bracket to the arc power, the strength of which slowly but surely moves the teeth in the desired direction. The pros and cons of braces differ depending on the kind of material used.
General information about orthodontic braces
The purpose of braces of any kind — dust removal:
- the curvature of the teeth, their density;
- gap of different sizes between the teeth.
The duration of treatment bracket systems depends on the degree of malocclusion or irregularities of the dentition and may vary from several months to two years. Besides, at the expiration of the period of wearing braces, the patient will need to wear retainers, which aims to consolidate treatment results.
With regard to the design of braces, they have differences:
- There are actual braces, which feature is that the brackets are attached to the arc by means of ligatures — special rubber rings or thin wire. Establish similar system solely on the outer side of the teeth. Braces of this type are quite cumbersome, difficult to install, and their rubber mounts are very unreliable. Although the low cost of actual constructions compensates for all their shortcomings;
- Braces system of self-regulation. Have in your case locks in which is inserted and firmly fixed with a special power arc. The installation of such braces usually passes quickly and without pain. In addition, the treatment due to the arc slide groove is faster and has a better result. But these positive characteristics have a negative side. In this case, the price which is much higher than that of ligature bracket systems.
Set braces, depending on a number of factors (a feature of the pathology of the jaws, the nature of the payment ability of the patient) on the inner or outer side of the tooth. Advantages and disadvantages of braces depending on their place of installation is obvious: locks, located on the outer side, easy to mount and maintain, but their apparent «visibility» may confuse many patients.
Braces made of metal
One of the most «ancient» types of braces. These braces are made of stainless steel, titanium or mix of titanium and Nickel. The appearance of modern products is very different from their ancestors: the size is much smaller than before, and the form of brackets a patient can choose any, including stars, flowers or beads.
The main advantages of metal brackets are that they:
- most affordable, due to its lower cost;
- reliable, functional;
- the friction force between the groove and an arc in such bracket systems are minimal, allowing the duration of treatment will be much less;
- these braces are quite durable and difficult to break.
Disadvantages of metal braces:
- in comparison with the braces of other materials they are more noticeable on the teeth;
- some patients may be contraindicated the use of metal because of allergic reactions;
- sometimes the metal irritates the gums, they cause ulcers.
In the manufacture of these clips involved a special, high-tech look of glass. The main difference from a metal counterparts a large aesthetics, comfort and durability. Ceramic braces have other advantages:
- their color is very similar to the natural color of the teeth;
- they do not change color even after eating (with the exception of drinking coffee, Cola, inhalation of tobacco smoke);
- they are durable;
- minimal trauma with a smooth, slightly rounded surface;
- patients no allergic reactions to ceramics.
Among the minuses can be noted:
- More intense in comparison with metal braces, friction between the arc and the groove, which leads to the need to wear braces longer. But sometimes in order to resolve this problem, in the device insert metal groove, but such actions in turn involve the deterioration of the appearance of the staple;
- The cost, which is higher than the metal analogues;
- Pottery is not used in patients with serious disorders of dentition, bite.
Models of plastic is another popular, unobtrusive design, which, like their counterparts, have a number of qualities with a plus and minus. The advantages include:
- more pleasant and attractive in comparison with metal braces;
- the installation of structures of various colors and shapes, which is especially important for children’s orthodontics;
- the cost of such products in comparison with the ceramics is much lower.
However, such braces have not only advantages but also disadvantages:
- since the plastic has a weak strength, a groove, used in the construction of plastic products, metal;
- in addition, these brackets can be painted because of the food coloring in some foods (coffee, tea);
- considered less reliable in comparison with products from other materials.
These braces belong to the group of ceramic orthodontic brackets and is made from sapphire crystal.
Advantages of sapphire brackets:
- very clear, fairly invisible, have beautiful appearance and are not inclined to formation of spots on the surface;
- the material used in the manufacture of such systems, resistant to staining and durable;
- sapphire braces do not RUB gums and do not cause unpleasant and painful sensations;
- help to achieve good treatment results in a relatively short time;
- these staples make removable, however, it is worth remembering that wearing them will still have at least 20 hours a day and is recommended to remove them only during eating or brushing your teeth;
- allow the patient to feel more comfortable than when you wear other kinds of braces.
The disadvantages include:
- The inability to install the braces of this material to patients with severe malocclusions or dental row;
- The possibility of allergic reactions to the polyurethane in the composition of the material;
- The ability to move teeth in a horizontal position only;
- The cost, which is much higher analogues of other materials;
- Due to the fact that such staples are removed, their functionality, which of course, will not be constant. Besides, a considerable role play habits of the patient and his self-control;
- There is a risk of damage if the patient used to clench my teeth.
This kind of braces, usually made of metal and stands apart from all the others, because attached to the outer and to the inner (lingual) side of teeth. Like other designs, lingual braces have their advantages and disadvantages. Among the positive qualities there are:
- their absolute invisibility to others;
- the ability of adjusting the number of anomalies (for example, deep bite), which is difficult to handle by the vestibular systems;
- the result of treatment becomes quickly obvious, since the teeth remain open
The disadvantages of these products include:
- Their high cost;
- A longer adaptation period to the treatment. Pain can occur in the language, may have difficulty in chewing food, especially hard;
- Reducing the internal space in the oral cavity, which entails a change in diction. But usually, after a month, patients get used to the size of the mouth and restore your speech;
- The need to undertake more time-consuming and thorough care of the oral cavity;
- The inability to use them in case of serious malocclusion.
The myths associated with the bracket system
Finally I would like to dispel the basic, long and firmly rooted in the minds of patients, myths:
- Cripple braces. No, it is not so. The times when this design looked like instruments of torture are over. Modern models are made of esthetic materials, and if desired, you can use invisible lingual products;
- Wearing braces can only children. One of the most popular myths. Although there are no age restrictions in the installation of orthodontic appliance is not. The only caveat in adulthood need more time on the fixing period, when it is necessary to wear retainers;
- Braces are painful. Significant discomfort, these products can only be delivered in the early days of their use. But after 5-7 days orthodontic brackets become a familiar part of the body and do not bring any inconvenience;
- Because of my braces spoil the teeth. Direct evidence that braces damage tooth enamel, no. And to cause problems in this area can only the patient himself in the case of negligence to the doctor’s recommendations.