Cancer of the gums: symptoms, treatment, photos the initial stage
Visiting the dentist, we often think of cavities and other such unpleasant diseases. But, for example, cancer of the gums is much more treacherous and dangerous, and on the first symptoms no one pays attention, and treatment is carried out incorrectly. Show photo of the initial stage and explain about all the features not to miss such a serious problem.
Why there is such a disease, how to prevent who are more exposed to dangerous consequences and where to go in case of first signs. All this need to know everyone.
Doctors say that most cancer of the gums is common in people older than 40 or even 50 years. And men face it more often than women. And yet, to manifest a similar disease may have any, even in infants, if this will contribute to the following causes:
- neglected problems of the oral cavity as teeth and gums;
- harmful habits Smoking, drug abuse, frequent intake of alcohol, chewing tobacco;
- piercings and other damage to the mucosa;
- mechanical impact and injury;
- the presence of such infections as herpes, papilloma, etc.;
- some precancerous diseases of a General nature;
- the lack of a large number of teeth and the rejection of the prosthesis;
- poor prosthetic design or poor hygiene of the oral cavity during their use;
- malnutrition, low immunity.
There is not much difference in the location of the source of the disease – upper or lower jaw, a piece of gum, etc. Also cause the development of cancer can become the wrong actions of a doctor, for example, after tooth extraction, when there was a mistake in the initial diagnosis.
Symptoms and signs
Depending on the stage of the disease, as well as the individual characteristics of the organism can manifest itself in different ways. In some cases of primary cancer of the gums, most often, squamous cell, and does not have any noticeable symptoms. However, the disease is characterized by the following features:
- Bleeding gums and this is often the first symptom is confused with gingivitis. But even with the simple pressure can start the bleeding that is not typical for other diseases of the soft tissues.
- Swelling of the gums, turning over time the surrounding parcels.
- The soreness in the last stages do not allow a person even to open his mouth. The pain may be present at rest, which speaks of the affected nerve endings.
- Increased body temperature, which reaches 37-38 degrees. Sometimes it’s the only symptom.
- Changing the hue of the soft tissues and seal. The gums be red, and on it in places see a white dull spot or point. Sometimes one of them stands out the pus.
- With the development of the disease inflamed lymph nodes that are located in close proximity to the jaws.
And if it starts only with the bleeding, it is better not to self-medicate and undergo a full diagnosis at the dentist, so as soon as possible to determine the diagnosis.
The characteristic features of the initial stage
1 the extent of the disease has its nuances. How does cancer of the gums in the beginning? It can be in 10% of cases do not send any signals. Less experienced doctors often confuse this issue with other dental pathologies.
Even minor changes must be alerted, and to carry out necessary diagnostics:
- Sudden bleeding of gums. This is evident not only while brushing but even when slight pressure with a finger on the problem area.
- Swelling and redness of soft tissues.
- Any growths on the mucosa, especially if they look white, cloudy or have the appearance of sores.
- Changes in the density of the gum.
- Fever in absence of infections of a General nature.
- The presence of strong capillary patterns.
Any of these symptoms should be cause to carry out the necessary diagnostic measures. To leave such issues to chance is not necessary, as the earlier you identify a pathology, the easier it is to get rid of it.
Diagnosis of the disease
Sometimes a doctor with low skills or little experience may confuse cancer of the gums, gingivitis, abscess or other inflammatory processes. This sometimes removes the tooth, and the disease begins to manifest itself much more actively and rapidly spread to surrounding tissue. Therefore, it is important to visit a good dentist.
At the first suspicion of malignancy, he would hold a full survey:
- collect the anamnesis of history, to clarify the symptoms and sensations of the patient;
- appoint screening jaw;
- do the fluorescent analysis of the mucosa;
- send part of tissue for biopsy;
- will prescribe a magnetic resonance imaging (MRI);
- will conduct radioisotope analysis;
- commit positron emission tomography (PET);
- do ultrasound on the abdomen, like cancer of the gums frequently metastasizes to distant organs;
- appoint a histological analysis of tissues.
Not necessarily carry out all these measures for diagnosis, but depending on the signs of the disease and the received data can be assigned to any of them. It is important to complete the consultation of an oncologist.
Treatment of cancer of the gums
The disease can manifest itself in different ways and is often not in the early stages. How to treat and what to prescribe a patient decided by the doctor. Options that can be taken not so much:
- The surgery involves surgery and radical removal of the tumor. In addition, it is recommended to carry out a comprehensive treatment and other methods to prevent recurrence.
- Radiation therapy can be performed in combination with surgery, or independently. In the first case, the irradiated area that was operated on. In the second the tumor and the adjacent tissue. Also, this method is prescribed to prevent illness in the future.
- Chemotherapy can be effective in that case, if the operation for any reasons became impossible. Much less is treatment used together with the above. Among the most popular of chemotherapy are considered platinum, anthracyclines, vinylchloride, epipodophyllotoxin, etc.
During treatment the patient may experience the following difficulties and unpleasant symptoms:
- sharp decrease of appetite;
- hair loss;
- weight loss and signs of exhaustion;
- loosening or even tooth loss;
- bad breath;
- poor wound healing of the mucous membrane;
- constant bleeding gums.
It is believed that parallel use of folk recipes can speed up the healing process and to improve the health of the patient. It is often prescribe massage, acupuncture, compresses or mouthwash created from medicinal herbs, decoctions, etc.
It is important to periodically visit a doctor for consultation and monitoring of treatment, especially after surgery. For example, if the wound mucosa heal poorly, it may indicate the presence of remnants of the nidus.
Because the treatment of the above methods weakens the human immune system, it is considered important, and the appointment of additional drugs in the form of multivitamin complexes, aimed at improving the immunity. You should also stick to a healthy diet for strength.
Very important even after surgery and recovery periodically tested for the identification of tumor markers to monitor the appearance of possible recurrence.
The development of the disease, the success of the recovery depends entirely on how quickly it is identified, at which stage treatment is started, the adequacy of the techniques applied and the patient’s body. Doctors are convinced that in the early stages of cancer of the gums full resolution of the problem can be achieved in 80% of cases. If the disease reached the third stage, the chance of success of only 40%.
And only in running situations, when the treatment started already in the last stage, the probability of a good outcome no more than 15%. And it’s still higher survival rates compared with other types of cancer.
The sooner a problem is detected, the better the chances of successful recovery without a particularly strong consequences for the organism as a whole. So do not ignore hygiene procedures, medical appointments and folk remedies.
Video: cancer of the oral mucosa.
Even such diseases as cancer of the gums can be completely cured. And yet much simpler not to allow it. Therefore, particularly important becomes the following recommendations:
- To comply with good nutrition and perhaps periodically take a multivitamin complexes.
- Visit the dentist regularly and promptly treat problems of the oral cavity.
- To get rid of bad habits – Smoking, chewing tobacco, alcoholic beverages, etc.
- To avoid mechanical damage of the mucosa, not to do the piercing, not to chew hard or sharp objects.
- Adhere to a daily hygiene of the oral cavity according to the rules.
If you follow these simple precautions, you can prevent the appearance of many dental problems and cancer of the gums including.
► Code for ICD-10
This disease refers to malignant neoplasms of lip, oral cavity and pharynx and has a code according to the International classification C03.