Causes of increased salivation in adults and children
People who are faced with the problem of hypersalivation interested in the causes of excess secretion, in both adults and children.
It not only delivers serious discomfort, but also indicates a dangerous change in the body and mouth that need to respond immediately. In this article, we will tell you about the cause of the problem and what needs to be done in this case.
The salivary glands of adults and children can highlight as redundant, and too little saliva. This happens for various reasons, the main symptoms are a few:
- my mouth always feels too much liquid. This happens if the level of exposure is exceeded at least two times;
- due to the abnormally large amount of secretions in the mouth, constantly there is a reflex desire to swallow the accumulated saliva;
- changing taste sensations in the mouth, a sensitivity to the taste of the food may be like is too strong, and inadequate.
It should be noted that sometimes the feeling of excess saliva in the mouth may be false, this happens when the oral cavity suffers from the trauma. The patient may complain of imaginary discomfort, even though in reality the allocation of secretion occurs normally.
Why there’s lots of saliva in adults?
There are several reasons what the problem may be associated not only with the disorder of the oral cavity, but other dysfunctions of the body.
- Disorders of the digestive system — hyperacidity in the stomach, disorder of the liver and pancreas, digestive tract, ulcers, and more often contributes to the occurrence of hypersalivation.
- Pathology of the thyroid gland — disorders of the hormonal balance in the body.
- Pregnancy in women of hypersalivation may be observed in this period because of toxicity. Nausea during pregnancy makes it problematic in the process of swallowing saliva, which results in its accumulation.
- Medication — both men and women, the problem may be caused by the intake of certain medicines. In this case, you must ensure that the cause of the disease is in the dose, and reduce dosage.
- Inflammatory processes in the oral cavity — in such diseases as angina or stomatitis (e.g., aphthous), the selection of secretion to rise significantly but will wear more in the way of protective reaction of the body.
- Diseases of the nervous system — cerebral palsy, Parkinson’s, lateral sclerosis, trigeminal neuralgia, etc.;
- During sleep can be caused by:
- mouth breathing;
- incorrect structure of dentognathic system;
- sleep disorders.
► A person suffering from sialorrhea during sleep, usually does not experience its symptoms during the day.
Increased secretion of saliva is more of a symptom of other, more serious diseases than a single problem of the oral cavity. Because of this, when detected, their respective symptoms, you need to see a doctor.
Causes of increased salivation in children
Children are more likely than adults to suffer from hypersalivation, mostly connected with the peculiarities of human development in childhood. The main reasons are:
- the factor of reflexes in children in the first year of life hypersalivation is not a pathology, it is called reflective features and must be perceived as inevitable. The teething baby not infrequently causes excessive salivation, as on the gums and oral cavity in General, a major burden falls;
- worms — this happens because of the habit of the child to pull in your mouth dirty things when worms excessive salivation will occur more often at night than during the day;
- infection or disorder of the gastrointestinal tract in infants can be a situation when the allocation of the secretion to be normal, but the saliva of the infant swallows due to disorders of swallowing function;
- mental disorder — occurs in older children. In this case, it is necessary to consult a pediatrician who will determine the exact cause of the symptom and sent for consultation to another specialist or prescribe the appropriate treatment.
Important! If older child constant problems with high salivation, it can cause speech impediments because children in this case, it is quite difficult to correctly and quickly pronounce words.
Hypersalivation in pregnancy
Because of failures in the hormonal balance of the woman’s body caused by pregnancy, you may experience hypersalivation, often the symptoms appear in the first 2-3 months after conception.
Toxicosis in the early stages leads to a gag reflex and swallowing disorder functions. As a consequence, in women during pregnancy may experience not only hypersalivation, and drooling.
Thus, it is not necessary that the gland has started to allocate a larger amount of saliva, just the process of swallowing is less likely, respectively, it lingers in the mouth.
Video: a study of saliva
Frequent salivation at night can be triggered by several factors:
- salivary glands «Wake up» before people — while sleeping, their work is much slower, but sometimes they resume the workflow long before the moment when the person begins to awake;
- sleep with your mouth open — if the person, for some reason, sleeping with an open mouth, in the dream, he will be subject to hypersalivation. In this case, you must turn to Laura, because most often, within his competence, but must undergo a consultation and the dentist, as the mouth may not close due to incorrect structure of the dentition;
- sleep disorder — if a person sleeps too soundly, he does not actually control some of the processes in your body. The human brain is not able to control the release of secretion, in consequence of which there is a hypersalivation.
If the facts of the increased occurrence of saliva in the mouth during sleep not too frequent, and it stands out not too liberally, then worry a bit.
How to reduce salivation?
Increased salivation and caused them discomfort cause people to have a strong desire to get rid of this problem as quickly as possible. Treatment, in turn, depends on the reasons for its occurrence.
The process of diagnosis of the disease plays a lesser role than the treatment itself. You first need to go to the doctors: can it be a dentist or a therapist. If the problem of the origin of hypersalivation is outside their competence, they can refer a patient to the ENT specialist or dentist.
- If the appearance of large amounts of saliva must be stopped, doctors can prescribe drugs to suppress too active robots salivary glands (e.g., rebel). But if the cause is not exactly in them, as in diseases of other organs or systems, it will not cure disease, but suppressing its symptoms. To completely get rid of this problem is possible only after a final removal of its source.
- If the source of the disease are salivary glands, doctors can remove them, but this only happens in extreme cases. Most often prescribe a course of treatment, such as cryotherapy, which stimulates the swallowing reflex. Can be carried out the injection of certain drugs in the salivary gland, with the aim to slow the release of secretion.
► Traditional medicine
There are folk remedies that you can use at home. So, rinse the mouth with decoction of chamomile or nettle may temporarily reduce symptoms. But this treatment is a form of the auxiliary, and in case of serious problems the body’s methods will be completely ineffective.
- take viburnum berries and trample them in a mortar;
- pour a mixture of water (approximate proportions: 2 tablespoons of viburnum in 200ml of water) and give the infusion for 4 hours;
- rinse mouth remedy 3-5 times a day.
Increasing salivation with sore throat
Colds or inflammatory processes in the oral cavity, including the flu, can really appear hypersalivation, as during an illness in the mouth is the infection, which wasplay salivary glands. Necessary to cure the underlying disease, and then disappear and increased salivation, as one of its symptoms.
Before or during menstruation
A rare symptom you can associate it with changes in the hormonal balance of women during this period. If the frequency and amount of saliva in the mouth causes discomfort should consult a doctor.
Salivation and nausea
Nausea can indeed be the source of this. While morning sickness in pregnant women, for example, impaired swallowing reflex, a person gets less turns to swallow the excess of saliva in the oral cavity.
After eating a lot of saliva in your mouth – what to do?
Most likely, the glands react to too spicy or acidic food. It’s not too threatening phenomenon, but if it gives you severe discomfort, you should consult a doctor.