Ceramic self-ligating braces; self-ligating system
It is proved that from the position of the teeth, type of occlusion depends not only on the functioning of the muscles and joints, the digestive system, but also the condition of the human spine. To date, the most prevalent orthodontic treatment involves the use of braces, among which the best features of aesthetics and functionality combine ceramic self-ligating system. Consider the main components of this correction method, strengths and weaknesses. Separately and the review of concepts such as active and passive ligation: what is the difference?
The principle of operation
Now orthodontic correction of the bite, alignment of the dentition can be carried out at any age. The traditional actual technique of treatment came to such systems as self-ligating ceramic braces which include:
The question arises: how come the arc is held, because of the elastic, metal alloys do not exist? Fixing the arc in the groove is achieved due to the presence of special latches (clips) included in the same plate. With this design, provided by proper movement of teeth in the desired direction with a minimum in the friction force.
Consider why ceramic self-ligating system is better than analogs.
- When using a traditional ligature technique, the magnitude of the force applied to each tooth to move it, depends on the choice of cross section and diameter of the arc, from the varieties of braces and elastics. Orthodontists prescribe visits every 4 weeks, as under the influence of the saliva changes the structure of elastic ligatures, and they no longer perform their function. Self-ligating systems do not require the use of ligatures, fixation performed by the physician, seselkina the clip on the arc is placed in the groove. Is correspondingly reduced as the frequency of visits to the dentist to activate the device, and the duration of treatment in General.
- Another big advantage of ceramic braces is their aesthetic. It is provided by using material based on polycrystalline aluminum oxide.
- This technique in certain clinical situations allows to achieve the desired result without removing teeth. During the expansion of the dentition it is possible to avoid displacement of lateral teeth medially, i.e. towards the center.
- Self-ligating systems are characterized by smooth contours of the active elements, which reduces the risk of trauma (rubbing) of the mucous membrane of the oral cavity.
- Optimization of the adaptation period, reducing the severity of pain is achieved using in the treatment of small forces. This happens due to passive ligation, very elastic arcs of small cross section.
- Also self-ligating technique simplifies hygiene procedures. Because the elastic ligature are kind of retention points for delay of food debris which further leads to the defeat of hard tissues of teeth and is a cause of development of gingivitis. Self-ligating systems can minimize the likelihood of dental caries and its complications.
Ceramic plates in comparison with metal analogues are more sensitive to stress. Patients should strictly follow all doctor’s recommendations, especially with regard to the nature of food intake. After all, when ressentiront, in the event of damage, we have to fix is a new bracket. Why? The fact that the relationship between the tooth enamel and the plate is achieved not only by chemical adhesion (special material for fixing), plays an important role and a mechanical component. On the inside of the braces there is a Playground with small notches in the formulation of the adhesive tightly fills these grooves. A spall plate, high quality clean material without damaging the same structure, is almost impossible. Therefore, fixation of the same braces often leads to another raccomandiamo.
As a rule, self-ligating ceramic inserts have a convex profile, which brings some discomfort during a conversation, a meal, and even at rest (especially at first).
Many patients after a certain period after the start of treatment note the change of color of braces. Pigments that contain certain foods may slightly reduce the original whiteness ceramics.
Well, most importantly, the cost of this treatment is much higher.
What to choose, active or passive ligation?
Orthodontic treatment is a complex process during which the dental apparatus is undergoing huge changes, alterations occur in the bone tissue, periodontium, masticatory and mimic muscles, joint. This greatly affects the duration of treatment.
- Active ligation is achieved by a tight fit of the arc in the groove, is characteristic of the traditional ligature method. During the change of alloys the activation of the apparatus. Discomfort arising from this are caused by episodic exposure to non-physiological forces. Many people mistakenly believe that the greater the magnitude of the force applied, the transfer process will be faster. It is not, on the contrary, a large force in addition to aggressive effects on the periodontium, and even inhibit the processes of remodeling and moving.
- As the basis of the mechanism of action of self-ligating systems is passive ligation, the use of this method is the priority. Arc freely in the groove of the bracket. Weak friction force and reduce the likelihood of stress injuries of bone. Stimulation of cellular activity is taking place uniformly, without disturbing the blood supply to the periodontal tissues. The adjustment processes are physiological: smoothly, gently, gradually. And it shortens the duration of treatment.
Damon, Clarity SL In-ovation — a brief overview
Self-ligating ceramic braces are manufactured by different firms:
- Ormco (Damon);
- 3M Unitek (Clarity SL);
- GAC (In-ovation — C).
The leader in this direction is the company Ormco, which produces many well-known systems under the trade name «Damon». Consider the main characteristics of these braces.
Self-ligating braces DamonClear:
- Achieving an absolute aesthetic going on, by using as the main material of polycrystalline ceramics. It is important to note: the metallic elements are completely absent, even the groove and clip is made with ceramic.
- The possibility of using passive ligation technology provided free slide arc in the groove, the friction force is minimal.
- Installed only on the front teeth. In the side portions of fixed braces Damon3 (combine plastic and metal parts), DamonQ (highly-functional metal system).
- The high fragility of the structure is the only drawback.
Self-ligating brackets In-ovation — C:
- This combined system, the body of the bracket and the groove are composed of ceramics, and clip latch of metal.
- The case is made of high-strength ceramics. Each lock is covered by a film of zirconium oxide, which provides protection of the structure from damage, cracks.
- The exceptional smoothness of the groove reduces the coefficient of friction, so the system is not inferior to the speed of movement of the teeth structures with metal housing.
- The set includes 16 braces, 4 tubes for the lower premolars.
Self-ligating braces, Clarity SL:
- The system consists of ceramic castles, groove and latch are made of metal.
- Improved mechanics of the slide contributes to the reduction of the period of correction of 25%.
- The lack of ligatures, open slot improve the quality of hygienic cleaning.
- The smooth contoured design facilitates the adjustment period.
Basic rules of care
Despite the high strength characteristics of the ceramic, orthodontists still recommended to avoid eating hard fruits, nuts, tough meat. Better these products are pre-crushed, as the detachment of the bracket occurs more often at the moment of biting, much less when chewing. A viscous food, chewing gum must also be avoided for a time for orthodontic treatment.
We present to your attention the list of the basic tools needed to conduct high-quality hygiene after placement of braces:
- monopikovye brush;
- brushes for the teeth;
- dental floss;
- the rinses.
It is important to remember: teeth should be brushed after every meal no matter what techniques are used (actual or self-ligating).
Thanks to absolute aesthetic characteristics in combination with high functionality ceramic self-ligating braces, they are the optimal method of correction of position of individual teeth, widely used for correction of malocclusion. And passive ligation provides the opportunity to undertake physiological tooth movement in a shorter period, the risk of possible complications is minimal.