Cervical caries: causes and treatment
A tooth can be damaged in many different places. And cervical tooth decay, causes and treatment of which we will describe in more detail the most difficult option.
This disease is often confused with wedge-shaped defect and some other problems, but it is much more dangerous.
Causes of cervical caries
What is the cervical, or as it is called root caries. To answer the question of why there was such a disease, it is necessary to review all possible causes. The doctors are the following:
- Malnutrition in which the body lacks calcium and vitamins. As well as drinking large quantities of starchy foods, sweets, carbonated drinks, etc. the absence in the diet of dairy products, fish, vegetables and fruits lead to complications General health, and teeth in particular.
- Bad habits – alcohol, Smoking, etc.
- Genetic factors influence the predisposition to certain diseases, which include caries.
- Wrong oral hygiene. And this is the wrong choice of toothpaste (gels cleanse worse), too soft brush, horizontal movement. The lack of rinsing after a meal.
- Poor quality of drinking water that you use.
- Pregnancy and breast-feeding as a time of hormonal surges. And they, in turn, greatly affect overall health.
- Medications that can destroy the structure of the enamel.
- Increased acidity of the gastrointestinal tract and most of the saliva contribute to the frequent diseases of the oral cavity.
- The endocrine glands can also affect the health of the teeth. But because endocrinology is one of the important factors of tooth decay tooth decay.
- Too thin the enamel from birth.
- Impaired metabolism.
- Age-related changes. Discovered that after 30 years, the cervical teeth affected by caries in the majority of patients.
Even after treatment, it is desirable to eliminate the root cause where the problem occurred, so it never come back again and again. Else to deal with root caries will always have.
Symptoms and stages
The disease diagnosis is carried out on reception at the dentist. He immediately noticed a change, or will use a special staining gel, which will reveal the beginning of the destruction of the enamel. In some cases, and observation of the patient will indicate the occurrence of cervical caries in the first stage when still it is possible to fix it quickly. At various stages of the disease see the following symptoms:
- In the first phase, changes are almost imperceptible. You may receive a white spot at the root of the tooth, the enamel will fade, and the sensitivity will increase.
- The second stage is characterized by surface manifestations of decay, in which a light spot is larger and brighter. It will be hard not to notice. The structure of the enamel becomes rough, it starts to gradually disintegrate.
- The third stage refers to the average intensity of the disease that affects the upper layers of tooth tissue.
- But the last stage is characterized by deep destruction of the tooth, which discussed the roots and nerve endings. If chewing teeth, which is a big burden, they may even break. This process is always accompanied by painful sensations, sometimes so acute that intolerable.
Because cervical caries are often similar to other diseases, and tight spaces do not always give the opportunity to consider the tooth for the presence of the initial symptoms, it is best time to visit the dentist. The doctor will be able at an early stage to locate the problem, knowing how to determine and to distinguish from similar ailments who are treated fundamentally differently.
Cervical caries and its treatment
How to diagnose and prescribe treatment cervical caries can be only a professional dentist. The earlier they are detected the disease is, the easier, faster and cheaper it will be produced, so do not delay with the visit to the clinic.
What exactly is the treatment depends on the severity of the disease.
- Under the appearance of spots and the virtual absence of most of the other symptoms, it is enough to assign remineralizing toothpaste. It is rich in fluoride, calcium and other important to healthy enamel minerals. As a result, the fabric is strengthened, and tooth decay does not damage the deeper layers.
- On the second and third stages, with high sensitivity and more visible destruction of, your doctor may prescribe sealing surface, while not affect the nerve endings.
- Deep caries treated only with the complete removal of the nerve, sealed the canal and tooth cavity. In this case, use an injection of anaesthetic, as the procedure is quite painful.
If the physician decided that no sealing can not do, he additionally needs to conduct a number of preparatory procedures:
- Clear Tartar and plaque.
- To neutralize the cause of tooth decay.
- It is good to drain the working area, as the least contact with saliva, the seal will not hold and it may fall out.
Treatment of cervical caries is complicated by its location. When near the gums quite difficult to drain the desired area. If the affected teeth, it’s physically difficult to get to. The sensitivity of the patient is increased, since the place is quite painful.
Themselves seals used are the same as in the treatment of other types of caries. The only differences in the location and complexity of work of the dentist. When a tooth filling, the doctor needs to carefully select the color of the material that he did not differ from the natural.
In modern dentistry appear painless methods of treatment of caries. For example, Icon without drilling, the use of ozone, and laser therapy – all of this already available technology.
Cervical caries is more common in adults after the age of 30. But there are cases when the teeth are affected and in children. In this situation, it is important to use anaesthetic, as the procedure will take a child a lot of discomfort.
The cause of cervical or any other of dental caries in very young children is often feeding with a bottle before bed. The child is too long to keep the milk mixture in the mouth, sometimes falling asleep with her. This bacteria begin to actively proliferate on fragile milk teeth, rapidly destroying them.
Related article: how to treat baby bottle tooth decay in children?
If you signed up to the dentist, but I feel that there are unpleasant sensations, and before his appointment is still far away, you can do something yourself. So, there are folk remedies which are used at home to relieve pain and reduce the negative impacts of bacteria.
- Sage tea — 2 tablespoons dry grass pour half a liter of boiling water and leave for half an hour to infuse. Further, it is sufficient to strain it and rinse five times a day.
- A decoction of Valerian — also take 2 tablespoons of the root boiled water. In a water bath boil for no longer than ten minutes and filtered. Rinse the affected area should be three times a day.
- Infusion of lemon balm is the ratio of dry herb and boiling water will be the following – 2 tablespoons per 100 – 150 ml of water. It is necessary to insist for an hour, and rinse after every meal.
- Propolis tincture — helps to deal with most illnesses and to reduce bacterial action. To do this, dilute 2 tablespoons of finished tincture in a glass of warm water. Periodically rinsing the oral cavity up to four times per day.
- Onion rubbed and wrapped in several layers of cheesecloth. Apply to the affected area until, until you get rid of painful sensations.
- Normal saline solution — in a glass of lukewarm water three tablespoons salt. You can rinse as often as there is pain.
- Compress camphor oil — a small piece of cotton wool impregnated with camphor and apply to the sore spot.
It is important to understand that such remedies will not cure the underlying disease, but only help to relieve pain and to wait for the appointment, so the appointment with the doctor is necessary in any case.
If you have never had cervical caries, or this problem has long been bothering you, it is advisable to deal with prevention of the disease. The sooner you start to take action, the less chance you have to acquire tooth decay. Doctors recommend:
- To clean the teeth with pastes in which a large concentration of minerals. It can be Ointment (Lacalut Extra sensitive), sensitive President, Silca Complete Sensitive, 32 bionorma and others.
- Daily oral hygiene. Be sure to select toothpaste and not gel, as it is better to cleanse plaque and stone. The brush should be of sufficient stiffness and the movement is vertical or circular. Brush your teeth twice a day and rinsing mouth after every meal.
- Desirable soft tissue massage, as the gums are blood vessels that feed the teeth.
- Eating foods rich in vitamins, calcium, fluorine and other minerals. Non-starchy foods, confectionery products and other harmful products. Periodically it is advisable to take vitamin complexes with a high content of calcium.
- Every six months be sure to visit the dental clinic for a General exam. This will help to detect the problem and prevent deterioration.
- Every year desirable to professional cleaning of the oral cavity, which includes removal of Tartar, cleaning of heavy plaque, strengthen enamel and other Wellness treatments.
- Need to avoid mechanical damages and injuries.
- Quitting bad habits will help to improve health.
Video: what is a cervical caries and how to conduct the treatment?
► How much is the treatment?
The cost of the procedure will depend on the particular clinic and region, but most of the prices generates a neglect of the problem. When installing simple fillings, you can spend 1500-2000 rubles, and if necessary the removal of the nerve and filling channels, the cost will increase to 4000. In Ukraine, prices range between 350-650 hryvnia.
► Whether due to cervical caries fillings to fall out and hurt a tooth?
If the lesion occurred in the tooth that previously plombirovaniya, such seal may be eliminated. After all, the disease penetrated from the other side and destroys tooth tissue. The pain occurs at the stage when the caries reaches the nerve endings.
► Toothache after treatment – is this normal?
If the pulp is not removed, it may have started its infection and inflammation. In the case of bearable pain, in the absence of deterioration of the General condition, redness or swelling of the gums, this is probably just a reaction of the tooth to the intervention, over time it will pass. When pain is acute, throbbing, especially at night, it is necessary to consult a doctor.