Chronic bad breath causes
Chronic bad breath brings a lot of trouble for the owner, especially if occupation is necessary to communicate a lot with people. Problems with teeth and oral cavity are among the most common reasons a bad smell. Symptoms and methods of treatment is quite varied, but each case must be diagnose right.
Description of the disease
Usually bad breath is the result of a number of diseases associated with activity of certain pathogenic organisms. Medically speaking, bad breath is halitosis. Having dealt with the reasons for its appearance, you can choose the appropriate treatment.
Have unpleasant mouth odor has a permanent medical term — halitosis. Usually people with this condition do not even notice its presence. This is due to the fact that olfactory receptors become used to the constant smell and just don’t provide those to the untrained eye seem unpleasant.
For example, the official confirmed that after a while the smell of mustiness, heat, dirt ceases to irritate and be noticeable to humans after a few minutes. In a stuffy room a sense of smell is dulled. Because people who have bad breath, often simply do not notice owing to the above reasons.
Bad breath — the problem is very delicate, her reasons may be several. Among them:
- foods that have pungent smell such as garlic, onions and more. Recycling by the body, the undigested portion after such components of the products is released when you exhale and has an unpleasant odor;
- Smoking causes persistent bad smell in the mouth, like tar and nicotine accumulate on the soft tissues of the mouth, forming plaque on the teeth, whereby the mouth unpleasant smells. Smoking can trigger periodontal disease, as he mouth is dehydrated, saliva production decreases. As saliva performs a function of moisturizing and disinfection, when Smoking it is violated;
- alcohol, which also dries the mucous membranes of the oral cavity, which causes harmful bacteria to multiply;
- improper diet, namely the lack of carbs, but excess protein;
- soft plaque or a hard plaque are the most frequent causes of bad breath. Usually it happens because of poor hygiene of teeth and oral cavity, and plaque on the teeth is clearly visible. Removed it very easily and quickly, being soft. If you do not get rid of it in time, it turns into hard deposits on the teeth, forming so-called Tartar. Those other plaque consists of microorganisms whose growth and waste products become a culprit of the bad smell;
- inflammation of the gums. You should pay attention to the bleeding, pain while brushing your teeth, swelling of gums, redness. All of this is a sign of gingivitis, which always comes from those who do not comply with the rules of oral hygiene;
- periodontal disease. In addition to bleeding, inflammation, swelling, gums, painful syndrome the disease is characterized by tooth mobility, pus from beneath the gums, the neck of the tooth are exposed. Periodontitis is a consequence treated early gingivitis, which collapses the bone tissue around the teeth, thereby attaching the tooth to the gum becomes worse and he starts to swing. But the original cause of the disease appeared again, bad oral hygiene;
- caries. In carious defects of teeth stuck food debris, they are populated by a large number of microbes, which causes decay, and as a result, sustained release of bad mouth odor. In this case, to help eliminate the cause to get dental treatment;
- carious teeth under the crown that does not quite adjacent to the tooth, causing the tooth starts to rot. The problem is solved by the treatment or removal of diseased tooth, and the change of crowns;
- chronic tonsillitis is another reason for the described problem, which emanates from inflamed tonsils, especially after suffering a follicular tonsillitis;
- diseases of the gastrointestinal tract such as gastritis, ulcer disease duodenum and stomach. Bad breath appears in the period of exacerbation;
- dysbacteriosis of the oral cavity. Downside — excessive oral hygiene, that is, the abuse of toothpaste, various rinses with antiseptics and antibiotics disturb the natural microflora of the oral cavity. Frequent use creates the illusion that there is no smell, but as soon as the effect, unpleasant smell appears again;
- mouth breathing. Habit or necessity, often because of colds and stuffy noses to breathe through the mouth regularly desiccate the mucosa, so that the teeth are formed faster deposits, dysbacteriosis, and, of course, constant bad breath;
- lung disease, although this is relatively rare cause, but still having a place to be.
Thus, the main cause chronic unpleasant mouth odor can be considered improper hygiene of the oral cavity and its consequences, dryness of the mouth. If xerostomia (dryness of the mucosa in the oral cavity), the protective function of saliva is poorly expressed, bacteria are destroyed very slowly, and his mouth creates favorable conditions for their active growth and reproduction. With age the problem can worsen. And the most common dental causes of bad breath are periodontal disease, periodontium, which is to say more.
Periodontitis as a cause of bad breath
Between the bone bed and the human tooth is a space-filling connective tissue called the periodontium. And periodontitis — is an inflammatory process occurring in it, in which the lost integrity of ligaments holding the teeth in its place. But damage can also and bone around the tooth. Damage are small, but sometimes reach quite large sizes and are sometimes formed cysts.
Periodontitis mostly occurs due to the penetration in the mouth infections via other dental problems such as caries or pulpitis, through root channels. Based on the reasons she developed the disease, are the following:
|Iatrogenic.||Medical error, lack of tooth filling.|
|Traumatic.||Occurs due to single or repeated injury to the tooth or gums, for example, after a stroke, too high seals and other reasons, is characterized by an acute inflammatory process.|
|Medication.||Incorrect treatment of pulpitis periodontitis provokes when connective tissue get potent substances. This includes allergies to medications.|
|Infectious.||When tooth decay first appears, then pulpitis, as a result of periodontitis.|
Bacteria can also get into the teeth as a result of inflammatory processes in the neighboring tissue, such as sinusitis. Periodontitis also klassificeret the shape of the flow, highlighting the acute and chronic forms. Sharp also divided into serous and purulent, and chronic:
- and fibrous.
Chronic periodontitis is the stage of exacerbation. The acute form is characterized by increasing pain syndrome: from mild, dull to sharp, localized, continuous with purulent inflammation.
Diagnosis of bad breath mouth
Halitosis (bad breath) is diagnosed by a dentist during a conversation with the patient during which the doctor figures out possible reasons for its occurrence. If you are taking any medications or other drugs, adhere to any diet plan, smoke or have other bad habits, must inform the dentist. You also need to tell us about the circumstances in which were found the signs of a bad smell.
After the conversation the doctor inspects the gums, teeth, salivary glands and soft tissues of the oral cavity for any abnormalities and inflammation. If the dentist determines the cause of halitosis is a disease of any system of organs, he gives direction to the therapist. If the cause is dental in nature, he prescribes treatment. When the cause of bad breath is periodontal disease, need to consult a periodontist.
If you suspect a lung infection, diabetes, kidney disease or liver are assigned tests that will help determine the exact cause and prescribe appropriate treatment.
How to get rid of bad breath
Treatment of bad breath depends on the cause of its origin. If the cause of halitosis was improper oral hygiene, then you need to correct it. The most effective means in this case will be those that contain zinc. It neutralizes the compounds of hydrogen sulfide caused by microorganisms, which cause unpleasant smell. It can be as toothpaste and mouth rinses.
If the cause is excessive dryness of the mucous membrane of the mouth, that is, xerostomia, then you need to choose the toothpaste, in which there are substances, for a long time additionally a moisturizing the oral cavity.
Also note that most toothpastes, the producers of which claim the ability to eliminate their unpleasant mouth odor, primarily consist of antibiotics and antiseptics. They inhibit the growth of bacteria and mask the smell with flavors. As described above, a long the use of such tools can only make the problem worse, as it will lead to even greater dryness in the mouth, reducing the ability to resist it to infiltrate bacteria. To use such toothpastes can be no more than three weeks, otherwise long-term use will lead to dysbacteriosis of the oral cavity.
Halitosis due to periodontal disease
If the cause of bad smell is periodontitis, it should be treated in stages after the consultation of a dentist and under his supervision. First, spend quality mechanical and medicamentous processing of root canals. Next, lay the calcium hydroxide in 7-14 days. Then prescribe antibiotics General action, anti-inflammatory and other drugs. After 7-14days channels of the tooth and the tooth cavity is sealed.
If periodontitis has outgrown in the chronic form, the treatment occurs in three stages:
- mechanical, namely expansion followed by purification to remove the destroyed and infected parts;
- antiseptic, in which the affected area and the nerve canals are disinfected. Then carry out procedures to enhance the recovery processes of bone tissue. To do this, the root put a special paste, which reduces inflammation, has antibacterial and biodegradable properties.
- for the final recovery of the required quality and accurate filling of canals.
Only at observance of all doctor’s appointments, you can expect quick and effective cure of pyorrhea, and get rid of bad breath.
Traditional recipes for fighting bad breath
To combat halitosis often use traditional medicines, but not rely on it, because they clean only the symptoms and reduce inflammation. But to get rid of the reasons and, accordingly, to completely eradicate the problem, traditional medicine is unable.
In addition to the assigned course of therapy or if the cause of the smell became bad oral hygiene, use of such remedies and recipes:
- one to two teaspoons of wormwood zaparte Cup boiling water, leave for twenty minutes, strain. A decoction rinse your mouth four times a day;
- equal amounts of oak bark, St. John’s wort, chamomile, nettle and birch leaves brewed as tea and drink several times a day;
- two tablespoons of peppermint to brew in a liter of boiling water, to insist within an hour. The resulting broth rinse your mouth four to six times a day;
- prepare a decoction of caraway seeds fifteen grams of seeds, filled a glass of boiling water, leave for an hour to infuse and rinse their mouths.
The duration of action of such funds is not too large. Usually they clean smell and a half to two hours, after which it appears again.
If you are concerned about persistent bad breath, especially when it is accompanied by pain, swelling, redness and bleeding gums, redness of the throat, nasal discharge and a fever, immediately ask for help to the dentist. Even if such symptoms are observed, and halitosis is present, do not delay your visit to the doctor.