Computed tomography of teeth in 3D: what it is, price, reviews
Computed tomography of teeth 3D — one of the methods examination, which affected the quality of dental services in General. What it is, what is the price of the study and any feedback on this method left the consumer?
Article on this subject will help to expand the understanding of quality treatment.
What is a CT scan of the teeth?
Previously in order to see into the tooth cavity what is hidden inside, used x-ray examination. Computed tomography is the same x-rays, only three-dimensional. That is, the output is not a flat uninformative images, and present a computer model of a tooth jaw with all its pathologies. The dentist gets the opportunity, figuratively speaking, to turn around the patient’s jaw in his hands, examining it layer by layer and thus determine the depth of the problem.
3D CT scans of teeth allows to treat more seriously than if the survey was done blind. Although the method of examination by CT is quite expensive compared to conventional x-rays, but he has obvious benefits, which we will discuss below. Price ranges from 1,000 to 3,500 rubles dependent on the size of the test region and the pricing policy of an individual hospital.
Indications and contraindications
The patient may be recommended a CT scan of the jaw, if necessary:
- to verify the presence of impacted teeth
- to clarify the likelihood of developing tumor-like formations in the hidden parts of the oral cavity;
- to know the exact location of traumatic injuries;
- to see invisible to the naked eye the lesions of dental caries;
- to check for proper anatomical development of the jaw system;
- to make an extensive examination before you choose braces or making dentures and conducting dental operations.
In all these cases, not to do only a cursory examination, so a CT scan is warranted as to the accuracy of diagnosis. In rare cases, the patient should undertake such procedure. The reasons why CT may be contraindicated is:
- Pregnancy tomography has a much smaller effect of irradiation compared to x-rays, but still a danger to the developing baby exists.
- Breastfeeding — breastfeeding conduct KT is possible, however, if during the procedure the patient is additionally administered contrast agent, you will have to transfer the child to an alternative food not less than 48 hours.
- Allergy to the contrast injected during a CT scan. The CT procedure can be carried out without the administration of contrast material.
- Fear of closed spaces people with claustrophobia. The MRI scanner is a confined space — like a wide tube into which the patient comes around on a special table.
- A young child may become an obstacle to this kind of diagnosis, as it is impossible to do sharp movements.
- An injection of contrast may cause complications in people with kidney disease or diabetes.
If the person has one of these contraindications, a different method of examination.
Looks like the?
The advantages of the procedure
Computed tomography of the teeth is the only examination method which gives accurate information necessary for the doctor to start working with the patient. In dental CT has a list of advantages:
- low dose, session duration of only 8 seconds;
- quick turnaround of survey results, it saves time;
- the resulting 3D image gives detailed information about the state of the dentition, the hidden problems with the jaw width of the bone;
- study using CT scan helps the dentist to determine the surgical plan, eliminating the possibility of error;
- on the computer model of the jaw, the doctor can «rehearse» treatment, and the patient to see how will look his teeth after correcting the problems;
- pictures are stored on electronic media is convenient, if one consults several doctors.
Three-dimensional visualization of the jaw makes a visit to the dentist enjoyable, as it frequently reduces the risk of incorrect treatment.
How a CT scan is performed?
Fear before the procedure, CT, arise in some people from ignorance, to be dispelled, if the details of its implementation to know in advance. The survey is conducted in the following manner:
- Before operating the scanner, you need to ensure the absence of a body of metal is provided to the device worked without a glitch.
- The patient is clothed in a special protective vest in order to reduce the impact of radiation on those areas of the body, which is not shown in the survey.
- A person stands or sits, and his chin fixed to the stand with the goal to reduce the number of unnecessary movements during the procedure.
- Around the patient’s head is rotated, the sensor or scanner with the radiating tube, data from which are transmitted to the computer and form a three-dimensional image.
The whole procedure is short and painless, which makes the possibility of its implementation even in patients who are afraid of any medical intervention.
Video: how to carry out the procedure of 3D computer imaging teeth?
During the procedure it was necessary to remove all metal objects, to stand still, not even to swallow saliva. About 30 seconds around the head rotates some kind of thing that made a soft but annoying sound. It was a little uncomfortable, dizzy and thirsty. But the picture was accurate.
If the doctor recommends a cat scan of the tooth, make. Although the procedure is expensive but it worth the money as it facilitates the work of the dentist and the surgeon.
Ruslan, 27 years
The procedure is short, scary and it didn’t hurt, felt a slight coolness and all. The result is a clear three-dimensional image that allows the doctor to determine the treatment plan. Gives the most detailed picture of the jaw.