Crowding: photo, treatment in adults and children
One of the most common anomalies encountered in orthodontics is crowding of teeth. Will provide photos of the problem, the possibilities of its treatment in adults and children. The most important thing is to understand the need for correction of this disease and remedy in case of neglect.
This anomaly is found in every third child and two adults out of three. In some cases this is almost imperceptible and hardly existed in the other – poses a serious problem to man as a psychological and physiological level. What to do with this, why there is such a defect, and what he threatens, let us describe in detail.
What is the pathology?
Mentioned story of disease is not new and very popular. It is characterized in that in the mouth does not have enough space for comfortable arrangement of all dental units. The interdental space is missing, and they seem to lap over each other, making it difficult to cut, being bent by changing the shape and direction of that in more serious cases leads to pronounced defects of the dentition.
Due too limited space, some units begin to grow out of its natural arc while changing the location. When it comes to wisdom teeth, for them there is not enough free area in the oral cavity. If you leave everything as it is, it will lead to serious consequences and related diseases.
Interestingly, the crowding of the lower jaw more common problem than in the upper jaw. And in childhood it is easier to resolve than in an adult. Therefore, it is desirable time to go to the dentist for your annual checkup so as early as possible to begin treatment and to normalize the condition of the dentition.
Not always doctors can install, which appeared this problem. Usually causes consider the following habits and pathology:
- In adults most often, the crowding manifests itself when come the time of eruption of wisdom teeth. And if other units have already occupied the free space on the jaw, the eights have no place, and they begin to move the «neighbors», gaining needed space.
- Harmful habits of childhood, from which parents had not weaned child – thumb sucking, pacifiers, and «blanks», incorrect swallowing, mouth breathing, etc.
- Too early and active loss of deciduous teeth and delayed growth of permanent in their place.
- If the incorrect nature of occlusion that completely affects the size and shape of the jaw, and, consequently, the location of dental units.
- Underdevelopment of the alveolar processes.
- Different pathologies affecting the improper formation of the zygomatic arches.
- Too wide teeth, which occupy more than the space and thereby displace those that grow later.
- The presence of additional units, when pledged slightly more than the required number.
- Different hereditary diseases leading to macrodantin and hyperdontia.
- The small size of the lower jaw, its immaturity.
Whatever the reason, this should either fix or eliminate the resulting consequences. Treatment does orthodontist.
Stages and symptoms
The severity of the problems may be different. Sometimes it is small changes that have almost no influence on the appearance of the smile, in other cases it is a serious abnormality that leads to many other complications. There are the following stages:
- Easy when you do not have just 2-3 mm and violations affect only one or two units. But all the other teeth on the jaw are positioned correctly. It is the easiest form of the disease, to correct that the easiest way in a relatively short period.
- Average – characterized by disorders of 4-6 mm and may also affect only certain units, particularly affecting the aesthetics of the whole series. Itself as the problem tooth can be rotated around its axis, have a significant slope or is moved slightly beyond a straight line.
- A severe form is the most complex and visible. The anomaly reaches more than 7 mm, and the individual units are pushed out of the natural arc, completely changing the shape and uniformity of a smile. It happens that this stage of the disease leads to serious problems, as it can only eliminate the removal of one or more teeth.
Of course, a lot depends on hereditary and natural factors in the formation of the jaw. But if the time, even in childhood, to detect the problem, you can significantly reduce symptoms and even eliminate all symptoms.
Do I need treatment?
Crowding creates not only a violation of the aesthetic of the smile, but what is much worse, and various diseases of the oral cavity. Because of the pathology of the location of the units is getting quite complex and sometimes not available complete cleaning of surfaces and interdental spaces.
Due to this, actively accumulate and breed bacteria, leading to diseases of the teeth and inflammation of the soft tissues.
In addition, if in childhood not to pay attention to such problem, to the point, when you begin to grow wisdom teeth, it will become significantly serious consequences, and the treatment will be long and difficult. To diagnose and correct this pathology is better in the initial stages.
Treatment of crowding teeth in adults
Usually in older age, this problem is troubling when eruption of wisdom teeth. How to fix this situation? Doctors offer several options, but everything will depend on the complexity and stage of the disease, as well as related nuances.
As in pediatric dentistry, for expanding jaw and putting pieces into place, you can use the braces. But if the problem affects only the wisdom tooth and the rest of the number remains in the normal range, then the dentist will advise you simple remove the eights. It is believed that the rudiment of the human body and in the process of chewing or talking, they do not play a special role.
Some doctors even insist on their removal when the examination of the jaw find only the rudiments of the future of the eights. Removing them before the eruption, avoiding any possible trouble that will lead to the crowding of a number of more Mature age. Although often happen when nature has no inherent wisdom teeth. In this case, they do not even erupt at all.
Peculiarities of treatment in children
Depending on the severity of the disease, and the causes and forms of crowding, the doctor prescribes a different medication. Most often it will be the following methods:
- In 11-12 years shaped by the braces, which will help each dental unit to stand in his place and make the right location.
- For the most disciplined of patients are recommended aligners – removable aligners, made of clear almost invisible material. You need to wear them 20-22 hours a day, removing only for a short break.
- In order to consolidate the achieved result and prevent relapse, the dentist will install the retainers, that wear will have longer than the braces themselves. But it is a necessary part of the treatment, which involves the recording of the result on an ongoing basis.
- Removal of milk fours, and sometimes fives used in the most extreme situations affect the size of the jaw there is no way. It is not mandatory is the removal of a pair of teeth. All depends on the type of crowding and location specific units. Removing the rest can stand on their place on their own, because once freed enough space.
In the treatment with braces need to be adjusted for a long period of correction. Depending on the severity of the disease it can take from six months to several years. But advances in modern orthodontics to guarantee good results with all the rules and recommendations.
Is it possible to do without braces?
In some cases, it is usually easy pathology of individual units, using alternative methods of treatment:
- Separation – sosotoyanie top of hard tissues, not more than 0.5 mm, otherwise it will lead to the emergence of sensitivity;
- The veneers and crowns in the least helps to change the dentition, but will make the smile more beautiful and neat in the case of a small defect.
Possible complications if untreated
The danger of crowding that leads to difficulties in purification of the mouth. And this leads to various diseases:
- extensive caries;
- periodontal disease;
- the abscess different degrees;
- the abscess;
- the formation of fistula;
- the traumatic form of the bite, etc.
The earlier you detect the problem and correct the position of teeth, the less will appear a defect, but the treatment will be fast and easy. In the chronic form it will require much more effort, and comorbidities need to be treated separately.
It is obvious that overcrowding should not be ignored. And if as a child the jaw bones are quite malleable and can easily change shape and location with purposeful, professional correction, then in adulthood to affect anything will be much harder. When the problem lies in the eruption of eights, then it is better not to remove, than to wait various effects that manifest in pain and aesthetic defects.
For some people, the crowding will become an important pathology only if it will lead to the violation of the beauty of a smile, because this detail is now a part of business image. And yet we should not forget about the health of teeth, even if outwardly it does very quickly.
Video: malocclusion crowding of the teeth.
Doctors recommend following preventive measures that will help to detect the anomaly:
- Visit the dental office every six months or at least once a year. This is enough to detect the density in the very early stages and as quickly as possible to begin to correct. Additionally will be a professional cleaning of the oral cavity that will help prevent other diseases.
- Since childhood you need to train your child to show teeth to the dentist, so he doesn’t have any fear, and the monitoring of their growth and eruption age of the shift of dairy units of the constant will give the opportunity to correct incipient defects.
- The observance of a healthy way of life will have a positive impact on the state of the body, including the dentition.
- In case of early loss of deciduous units should be set the temporary prosthesis to the jaw did not start to deform and retain the desired dimensions.
It is very important to choose one dentist or at least a reputable clinic where the professionals care about the health of patients and the reputation of the institution. To be observed at the good expert is much more important than to save money and ignore the quality of dental services.
► Code for ICD-10
According to the International classification of diseases used by all physicians, crowding falls into the category of maxillo-facial anomalies and is under the code К07.3 – anomalies of the teeth.