Cyst of the maxillary sinus: causes and treatment, the sizes for removal
Today we will discuss all about maxillary sinus cyst – causes and treatment the required size for deletion. Every 5 people on earth has a similar education.
Throughout the life of the cyst may never come, or to let people know about yourself of the pain and characteristic signs. The development of the disease is necessary to monitor and promptly remove in case of complications.
Cyst of the maxillary sinus – what is it?
Is the formation of a pathological nature, which is in the maxillary cavity. The human body has 2 of the maxillary sinus:
They are covered with a special protective mucus. It has a large number of secretory glands that produce this mucus. It does not get different infections inside the body. Sometimes the glands become clogged, in this case, they are slowly overwhelmed with mucus. Iron itself is stretched and transformed into education in the form of a ball. This is a cyst.
Inside it contains secretory fluid. It is either sterile or purulent, it depends on the time and severity of the disease. Usually the cyst is located on the bottom wall of the sinus. The severity of symptoms depends on its size and location.
The danger of education is that it can grow all over the sinus and, thus, to remove the access air. The cyst with a therapeutic means to treat the impossible. Provided only surgical removal.
The etiology of the disease is associated with a variety of chronic inflammations, and congenital defects in the oral region or nasopharynx. The main reasons why there is a cyst include:
- Chronic diseases of the nose, such as sinusitis, rhinitis, polyps, sinusitis, sinusitis.
- Abnormal anatomy of the nose, including partitions. This abnormality disrupts the normal flow of air and the supply of blood to the mucous membrane. Defects can be either congenital or acquired.
- Long exposure of the allergen. Especially if the allergen has long been in the maxillary sinuses.
- Immunodeficiency States.
- Chronic dental disease and inflammation of the periodontal tissues of the upper jaw.
As a rule, the disease is asymptomatic and detected accidentally during the medical examination or General examination of a patient. As the growth of cysts appear and other signs. They become more pronounced in the case when completely closes the lumen of the sinus of the nose.
- pain in the sinuses, increasing when tilting down;
- the orbit there’s a sense of gravity and pulsating pressure;
- pain in cheek, which is given to the teeth;
- on the rear wall of continuously flowing viscous mucus;
- swelling of the cheeks;
- the asymmetry of the face;
- headache (seizures, migraine);
- discomfort in the frontal region;
- stuffy nose from the side where the cyst;
- the signs of intoxication.
In the patient area palpation can detect characteristic cysts «parchment crackle». On the x-ray formation in the background light of the sinus looks like a blackout roundish shape. Similar clinical signs are characterized by cysts in the left and right sinuses.
The pathology sometimes, symptoms such as double vision and blurred vision. This is because eyeballs are shifting and limited their mobility. In such cases, patients go to an ophthalmologist, not Laura. Sometimes a cyst is not otherwise manifested and the main symptoms are visual.
There is a whole classification of formations in the maxillary sinus. Cysts on the detachable contents are divided into hydrocele (serous fluid), mucocele (mucosa) and pyocele (purulent).
By origin distinguish 3 types:
- Retention cysts is a true education, which are formed due to obstruction of the secretory glands that produce mucus. Obstruction can occur due to swelling, scarring, blockages or hyperplasia. Cancer on work and produce mucus. Over time, the expanded wall, all filled and the lumen is closed.
- Odontogenic — these formations have inflamed root of a tooth, they are filled with pus. In turn, they are divided into follicular and radicular. First appear in children from the roots of the milk tooth which is inflamed. The second are formed at the root of the tooth affected by caries. Then he breaks through the jaw bone tissue and penetrates therefore into the bosom.
- About — their origin experts are not fully understood, they are testopodobnymi education. Usually appear in males. Pseudocysts occur due to the action of allergens, infections, and also due to pathologies of the upper teeth.
Treatment of cysts of the maxillary sinus
As we have said, from the cysts can be removed exclusively by surgery. Without surgery can not do. No warm up or physical activities are not able to help. Moreover, they are strictly contraindicated, since the disease can develop into extensive sinusitis. Also will not help various kinds of nasal drops and sprays.
There is no specific size for removal. The indication for surgery is the presence of complications and complaints of the patient. Education of the maxillary sinus is removed in any clinic which specializiruetsya it. In government hospitals it is free. In private institutions, the cost depends on many conditions. The price of the surgery varies from 35 to 40 thousand rubles.
The removal of cysts are 3 surgical methods:
- endoscopy is currently the most popular method of removing education. As no cuts on the face, and a much quicker recovery of the sinuses. Plus the endoscope can inspect the entire cavity and to detect the presence of any pathology. The operation is performed under local anesthesia. This makes it easier to survive the post-operative time. This is the most sparing method of removing the cysts;
- method Caldwell-Luc — for cutting maxillary cysts, this method is rarely used. The first description of this operation is mentioned in 1893, since that time almost everything has changed. The operation is performed using a local anesthetic. Next, make an oblique incision is carried out trepanation of the maxillary sinus. The size of the holes depends on the size of the cyst and its location. Postoperative recovery lasts longer than the endoscopic method. This is because there is a risk to injure the anterior wall of the sinus. But the modern medicine is helps to avoid many of the negative effects;
- operation Denker — it is not much different from the previous method. The difference is the place of operation. In this case, the Burr hole is made through the anterior wall of the sinus. Also need General anesthesia. The cut is from the wisdom tooth down to the frenulum. Further pushing the soft tissue, bare bones and do a craniotomy. 5-7 days after surgery sutures are removed and immediately remove the tampon from the sinuses. Considered the most traumatic operation, it is performed only when absolutely necessary.
Specialists still argue about the removal of cysts of the maxillary sinus. Some say that if she does not stop, can not be removed. Others argue the opposite, and warned that the cyst may cause serious complications. But it is worth remembering that the disease is easier to prevent than to treat. Responsibly monitor the health and the detection of the symptoms of cysts of the nasopharynx it is necessary to go on reception to LOR-to the doctor.
Video: otolaryngologist says about the cyst of the maxillary (maxillary) sinus.
► Code for ICD-10
Referred to as К09 or J33.8. Depends on the cause of formation and type of maxillary cysts.
► What is dangerous?
The danger arises in a situation of suppuration or inflammation of the cyst. In the best case you will have a sinusitis or sinus infection in the worst – inflammation will move to the soft outer fabric. Can result the following complications: nasal cavity – inflammation, sinusitis; in the socket of the eye – abscesses, phlegmon; intracranial disease – encephalitis, meningitis, thrombosis, etc. not to bring health to such a critical state, it is necessary to visit a specialist doctor at least 1 time per year. You need to follow the growth of cysts.
► Do in the army?
If the recruit was discovered cysts of the maxillary sinus, it does not take the army. Provide respite from the service to the time of surgery and subsequent rehabilitation. Commission in the military will direct the future of the defender for treatment in the ENT Department.