Deep caries: causes, symptoms, pictures and treatment
Deep caries – the disease, the causes of which may lie in the wrong diet, and the characteristic symptoms might depend on its effective treatment.
The procedure of treatment is a complex and expensive process, so pay special attention to prevention, using folk remedies.
Deep caries is a wide lose large areas of hard tooth tissues with subsequent spread to the dentin because of this disease is confused with the pulpit, but the latter only its complication.
The fact that the dentin that separates the pulp and a cavity, not for a long time can prevent the spread of harmful microorganisms and its destruction leads to the emergence of pulpitis.
Another feature of deep caries is a thin layer of dentin, a gradual destruction which is his last stage. This is the hardest phase of illness that requires proper treatment and quality dental care.
The disease causes considerable discomfort, and there is also the risk of injury of adjacent teeth and spreading infection throughout the oral cavity. In case of incorrect and delayed treatment of the patient can remain without teeth.
There are several types of deep caries, which are separated depending on the location and form of the disease:
- Chronic — short toothache in the affected area. Most often the pain arises after exposure to a tooth outside factors: hot or cold beverages, exposure to solid food in a cavity, the bottom of which was visually observed dentin. The cavity itself is well marked, wide edges. Occurs in the strong teeth, which was a resource for resistance to the disease, that pain is weak even when the disease is in its last stage of development.
- Acute — fracture processes occur very quickly, so the dentin is no time to recover, which leads to severe pain and rapid defeat of the nerve. A cavity covered with a large layer of dentin, and degradation products of dental tissues.
► According to the localization of deep caries may be at the point of contact of the crown with the gum, it is called cervical.
Mostly it occurs on the front teeth and is accompanied by problems in diagnosis, because it does not cause pain and aesthetic discomfort, but he is also dangerous form and affects the inside of the tooth at the same rate as other types of illness.
Video: superficial, middle and deep form of tooth decay.
Why is there is a deep caries, and what is its etiology? The disease develops as a primary or on the tooth that has been treated. The process of emergence is characteristic of all carious diseases and is caused by the presence of pockets of acid that erode enamel and expose the tooth crown. The result is the protective complex of the tooth is broken and he begins to break down faster.
The fundamental reason is the incorrect care of the oral cavity (or lack thereof), irregular consultation with a dentist. That is why tooth decay often affects chewing teeth, including wisdom teeth.
The plaque is in most cases located on the side, in those places where the cleaning of teeth difficult. Front teeth at risk, but much less that is due to more careful care and visual appearance of the first signs of tooth decay.
The speed of development of carious process is influenced by the properties of the saliva of the patient, which can slow the growth in the number of harmful microorganisms.
What else may develop a disease? Separately identify the following several factors:
- poor quality drinking water and malnutrition;
- genetic predisposition;
- mineral imbalance in the body;
- professional activities;
- pathology of growth and formation of teeth.
Photo and x-ray
- the defect of the tooth surface — the better the affected tooth visible when smiling or during a call, the faster the person goes to the dentist for help. If it is in a remote place, the patient goes to the clinic due to severe pain, which is typical for pulpitis;
- bad breath — caused by the activity of harmful bacteria and the process of disintegration of the tissues of the affected tooth.
- discomfort at sharp difference of temperatures — very cold or hot foods may cause brief episodes of pain that occur due to the lack of enamel on the affected area;
- pain is not always a symptom, and even if the patient has complaints of pain, it is not strong and short-lived. Severe pain a person begins to feel when deep caries affects the nerve and enters the pulpit.
The stronger tooth and better its mineral composition, the longer it can resist tooth decay, although the process of destruction is already irreversible.
Detection of the disease is not difficult, but if deep caries must be distinguished from other similar diseases can be difficult. Common methods for differential diagnosis are probing and radiographs.
Deep caries is often confused with the different types of pulpitis:
- fibrous form, in which there is mild pain even in direct contact of carious cavity with a foreign object, sometimes there is bleeding.
- hypertrophic — diagnosis, you need to thoroughly explore the cavity. If it is pulpitis, then to see her bottom pink fabric, which can be enlarged pulp, and buried in the gum defect.
- with acute pulpitis — the appearance of the affected area will be similar, but in sensing the patient feels very sharp pain.
In all other cases, recommend the use of diagnostic x-ray, which will help to distinguish the deep decay of the average or even from periodontitis. With an average caries the dentine layer will be dense and fairly large, and when deep in the affected area, it will almost be absent. In periodontitis the x-rays are detected changes in the tissues of the periodontium.
Treatment of deep caries
During treatment the main tasks of a dentist are: the removal of tissue affected by necrosis and the filling of carious cavity. It takes place in several key stages:
- To begin with, the physician must assess the condition of the tooth and the degree of its defeat necrotic processes.
- Is injectable anesthesia and dissection of the affected area.
- His antiseptic treatment and re-assessment. Then prepariruetsya unfinished areas.
- Pulp is isolated from the filling materials by means of a special gasket. If this is not done, it will be painful to respond to changes in temperature and exposure very filling.
- The installation of permanent seal.
Completely cure deep dental caries in adults and in one, albeit long, a visit to the dentist, but this is only possible if the walls of carious cavity are thick, and the pulp is not affected necrotic processes, otherwise you’ll need a temporary filling with the pharmaceutical composition and the treatment will last from 3 to 10 days.
About drugs: doctors choose between pastes based on zinc and calcium. Zinc, gentle to the pulp, characterised by reliability and pastes based on calcium are suitable for installation of insulating pads under the seal.
Video: treatment of deep caries using a dental microscope.
Parents mistakenly believe that to treat milk teeth is not necessary, but the health of the indigenous directly connected with the state dairy. The risk of deep dental caries in children is associated with frequent consumption of sweets and the influence of children’s bad habits.
Features of treatment:
- the psychological moment for «young patients» this is the first experience with the dentist, so it is important that he was positive;
- treatment of milk teeth to try to hold at one time once again not to injure the psyche of the child, besides the structural features of the milk teeth are fully allowed to do it.
If a milk tooth is severely infected necrotic processes that the doctor may recommend to remove it, but this should be done if soon the child will start at the same place to grow a permanent tooth to prevent malocclusion.
Unlike early forms of the disease, deep caries requires only dental treatment. To cure it at home is impossible, however this does not mean that folk remedies should not be used. They can stop the disease or become good methods for prevention.
A few popular recipes:
- Propolis tincture will prevent the spread of bacteria, use natural propolis, not a pharmaceutical solution. For this ball of propolis attach on the damaged tooth area of the tooth for 10-15 minutes. Important! Propolis is used only if the tooth is not yet developed in the pulpit.
- Tincture of calamus vodka — 0.5 liters of vodka add half a Cup of dried calamus root and leave for 5-7 days in a cool dark place, after which rinse your mouth for 2-3 minutes before bedtime. If a cavity has damaged the pulp, then rinse your mouth with tincture of calamus vodka and not because the patient will feel severe pain.
- The garlic will help to stop a toothache — it is recommended to make it a special paste by grinding a few teeth of the fetus. The paste is applied onto a piece of cotton and put on the damaged area, where they hold until the pain subsides.
- Fir oil — apply it on cotton wool and place alternately on different sides of the enamel. Compresses with pine oil will help get rid of the aching pain.
Using any folk remedies, remember that they are not intended for the treatment of deep caries, and to relieve his symptoms until the time of your visit to the doctor.
Because the deep cavity is the last stage of carious process, in the absence of proper treatment it will go into pulpitis, which is characterized by more severe pain. In this case, the dentist will have to conduct not only the excision of the diseased necrosis of hard tissues of the tooth, but the treatment of the pulp.
In case of incorrect dental intervention can occur recurrent caries. A cavity is formed at the junction of the seal and healthy area of the tooth surface. Effects complications will be the removal of old fillings and a new course of treatment.
Another consequence of a medical error happens, the opening of the cavity of the tooth causing pulpitis occurs. To avoid complications is possible if the time to notice it and take appropriate measures (insulation or remove the pulp).
Video: step-by-step treatment of deep caries and restoration of tooth.
To prevent the occurrence of deep caries is much easier and cheaper than to treat it. For this you must follow these rules:
- follow the oral hygiene, correct brushing your teeth — use only toothpaste and a toothbrush, but dental floss and mouthwash. Remember, the main reason of caries — plaque;
- watch your diet and amount of sugary foods in it, try not to eat sweets before sleep and control the amounts of sweet products in the menu of your children;
- regularly go to the dentist — this will increase the chance of detecting caries at an early stage, and, consequently, the disease does not spill over into a more complex form, deep.
► Code for ICD-10?
According to the International classification of diseases deep tooth decay has code K02.1 – «Caries of dentin».
► How much is the treatment?
Treatment depends on the quality and quantity of the filling materials, the use of additional drugs. Prices fluctuate around 2-3 thousand rubles.
► Deep caries or pulpitis: what’s the difference?
In the first case the pulp of the tooth remains intact, the second it gets inflamed, causing noticeable pain.
► Does it hurt to treat?
No, treatment is not accompanied by severe pain. More causes advanced stage of the disease is pulpitis.