Dental floss: how to use
Healthy teeth and gums is not only aesthetic appearance, but guarantee fresh breath, and absence of pain when eating. But that the teeth remain healthy, you need every day to care for them. In this article we will tell you how to use dental floss and what they are.
The main reason for the occurrence, if not all, at least most of the dental problems is lack of proper care for the oral cavity. Made a lot of hygiene products designed for daily care. And if the person, wishing to achieve a white healthy smile, try to use them all, then he will have to spend a lot of time. In order not appeared pathology of the teeth and gums need at least to do three things: brush your enamel with a toothbrush with the use of a suitable toothpaste; clean front area of the tooth with a thread; to destroy pathogenic bacteria with an antiseptic mouthwash. Clean brush teeth most have already learned to gargle balm too easy. And here’s how to floss and how to choose a few know.
Why the need for a thread
To understand why you need dental floss, find out why diseases of the teeth and gums. After eating in the mouth of a human are part of food. If they are not removed in time, microorganisms begin to multiply and form plaque, which then hardens, turning into Tartar. Deposits on the teeth cause bad breath (halitosis) and gum disease, e.g. gingivitis and periodontitis. Pathogenic bacteria in the process of their life produce an organic acid that destroys the hard tissue of the tooth, the result is tooth decay.
Partially bacteria are destroyed by the saliva. Rest dentists call to remove during daily hygiene procedures. There are many available tools: toothbrush, floss, irrigator, brushes, scrapers for the language, mouthwash, floss. Familiar to us a toothbrush capable of cleaning the tooth with only three sides, and on the front surface of the plaque remains intact. Some try to remove food particles with a toothpick, but it may injure the gums. If you are using mouthwash is the destruction of pathogenic microorganisms, but it can not remove plaque, since it requires mechanical action. To clear inaccessible to the brush area, dentists suggest using dental floss. If properly and systematically use dental floss or dental floss, they are:
- normalizes the acidity in the mouth (sour environment is not adapted microbes, it is detrimental to them);
- prevent caries, gingivitis and periodontitis;
- eliminates unpleasant smell from the mouth;
- removes soft plaque and prevents the formation of stone.
Use dental floss undeniable with proper application. In addition, it is an inexpensive tool that produces great footage.
How to use floss
Floss, if it is wrong to use that may cause bleeding gums.
Recommendation how to floss:
- You need to take a string with a length of 40 centimeters. If this is the first experience of application flassa, then take more. Approximately the length of the tape is approximately equal to the forearm (take the thread in your hand and measure the length to elbow);
- Wrap a large piece of tape on the index finger of one hand, take the other end in the other hand. Pull the thread. The work area can be from 2.5 to 5 cm;
- Enter her neat smooth movement in the interdental space. Be careful not to injure the gums and not to cut her thread;
- Press the floss to the front part of the tooth and slide it over the edge of the gums. This way you will be able to remove bacterial plaque and leftover food out from under the gumline. Movements are made towards the cutting edge of the tooth in one direction. If the ribbon will go up and down, then the plaque will remain in between the teeth. One surface of the tooth it is necessary to hold floss 3-6 times;
- Before you start cleaning the adjacent tooth, you need to change working site on the net.
The dentist at the reception can show how to brush the teeth with dental floss.
During the first week of use flossa may experience slight bleeding from the gums during use. This is considered normal because mucosa needed to adapt to the touch material. But if the blood is longer, then you need to consult with your doctor about the usefulness of this hygiene.
How to floss while wearing braces? As noted in the recommendation, only requires a special string with elastic end, which easily slides under construction and is introduced into the interdental space.
How often should I use floss? Dentists suggest after every meal. If it’s not exactly comfortable, then at least before bedtime. Recommend to use floss before you brush your teeth with a toothbrush, and not after. The reason is that the ingredients included in the toothpaste will have a greater effect on the cleaned surface. If handled adroitly, with the thread all the treatments of the mouth will not take more than 15 minutes.
Are children allowed to use floss on their own, but only if they are older than 8 years. Before parents or hygienist needs to explain and demonstrate how to correctly brush your teeth dental floss.
How to choose the right floss
There are several varieties of dental floss. The choice will depend on ease of use and quality of cleaning.
Floss can consist of a single filament or of multiple fibers, which reduces the likelihood of hurting your gums. The manufacturer indicates on the package and the diameter of the product. Dental tape is thicker than ordinary thread three times, making it more comfortable for a teeth cleaning, if they are located far enough from each other. The thinner the yarn, the easier it is to enter into the interdental space, if it is very narrow.
Thread for cleaning the teeth can be of synthetic or natural material. Refers to natural silk. Its advantages are that it effectively removes plaque and is very thin. But silk isn’t as durable and may tear, which causes inconvenience in use. Dental floss may be made of nylon, nylon, acetate. These materials are very durable.
To choose floss, the dentist will help assess the condition of the mucosa and the distance between the teeth. We will describe the most popular models available on the Russian market:
- floss Floss Raiser from the Italian manufacturer popular all over the world. Fiber when using become fluffy, that provides greater cleaning coverage. The product is impregnated with extract of bergamot and lime, which gives a feeling of freshness;
- floss from the ROCKS easily removes plaque and dietary fiber, helps to preserve the whiteness of enamel. In the coating composition the product consists of micro-crystals that Polish the enamel and protect against pigmentation. This thread is recommended to fans of black tea and coffee;
- floss Oral-b made especially for braces and it is suitable if the adjacent teeth are very close to each other. It is divided into parts: the first from the dense spongy fiber that facilitates the movement of the thread; the second for purification of tooth enamel; third in order to get food particles;
- dental floss Dentorol thin, which allows it to penetrate into narrow slits. Additionally treated with preservative and menthol;
- floss «32 pearls» is woven of two fibers that helps to cleanse the enamel. Due to treatment with wax easily glides over the surface and not torn. Length 65 meters.
The manufacturer can improve the thread, treating it with special substances:
- sodium fluoride (effectively strengthens enamel);
- chlorhexidine (antiseptic effect);
- menthol (deodorizes the mouth).
For ease of use dental floss for teeth can be covered with wax. Waxed thread suggest to apply to those who are just trying to use it because it is better than the slides on the tooth surface and does not delaminate.
Floss coated with wax is useful when you have a tendency to Tartar or large fillings, the thread will not delaminate when in contact with sharp edges. But novosennaya thread more efficiently cleans interproximal space because of the larger friction force.
Section hygiene products may also vary. So, round thread is recommended to choose if the gap between the teeth is wide, flat intended for tight teeth. Allocate more volume and a filament, which under the action of saliva is increased and more thoroughly cleans the enamel.
Dental floss is sold in small containers, allowing you to carry it in your pocket and use after meals. Convenient packaging that cuts the required amount, the rest remains protected from bacteria. The thread is produced in length from eighteen to fifty meters.
For a more thorough cleaning braces, crowns so as not to damage the structure, flossing was improved and was called superfloss. These products have a pointed end for ease of podsovyvaniya under the bracket. When applying floss need to be careful, as it may damage the design.
When it is desirable to use floss
If floss is used incorrectly, you can injure the gums and cause sores. If you make sudden movements or much pressure to the thread, then injured mucosa for a long time to heal and might become infected with germs.
If the contact surfaces of the tooth have tooth decay, ill-made prosthesis or fillings that have chipped or uneven surface, the thread may raslovici, to cling to them and pull of.
The use of dental floss is not recommended if you have gum disease of an inflammatory nature. So, with gingivitis and periodontitis the gums much inflamed, causing bleeding and the floss will only aggravate the situation.
When using threads it is necessary to observe sanitary conditions:
- before procedure wash hands thoroughly;
- for each tooth surface use a clean work surface threads;
- after the procedure rinse your mouth with antiseptic.
We are not considering floss is a benefit or harm. Doctors unequivocal — use, but as with any tool, has the contraindications, and requires the right equipment. Only floss is able to clean the space between teeth and under the gums from bacterial plaque and food debris. But how to choose dental floss and how to use it doctors are always ready to give.