Dental treatment during pregnancy: when and at what time?
Many of the women are faced with the fact that they require dental treatment during pregnancy, therefore, they are interested in, when and at what time it can be done so as not to harm the intrauterine development of the fetus, because there are a lot of myths about whether it is possible to visit the dentist in «interesting» position.
Pregnancy is an important period during which maternal health is often very vulnerable, because the resources of the female body are spent on the construction and formation of the new man. But what if the toothache at this time? We will try to deal with the peculiarities of dental treatment in pregnant women.
Why is it important to be cautious expectant mothers?
During pregnancy women often complain that tooth enamel has become more fragile, there appeared holes and bleeding gums. All these problems are connected with peculiarities that occur in the mother’s body when carrying a child.
If the pregnancy was unplanned or the woman for whatever reason does not put in order your mouth before you get pregnant, then deal with dental treatment have in the period of gestation. It is proved that caries is an infectious process, and this means that his appearance involves pathogenic bacteria.
The holes in the teeth not only cause discomfort to the pregnant woman but can harm the fetus, because microorganisms are able to cause local inflammation, which subsequently lead to the spread of infection throughout the body. This is especially dangerous in the 1st trimester when the placental barrier is not yet formed, and the pathogens can easily penetrate to the embryo, causing a disruption of its formation.
The main reason because of which there are many changes in the body are hormonal changes that is necessary for proper formation and development of the child. In this situation, even unaffected by caries teeth susceptible to damage, so treatment and prevention of dental diseases during pregnancy is a must.
During the period of gestation exacerbated by various diseases, so the breach of condition of the oral cavity is no exception.
- tooth decay – calcium loss, as well as its insufficient intake makes the enamel more brittle and susceptible to negative influence of micro-organisms.
- gingivitis – gingivitis in pregnant women is not uncommon. The looseness of the tissues and bleeding are due to violations of the trophic vessels and their permeability;
- plaque – women in the position of changing taste habits, they eat often, but small portions and sometimes at night, so do not always remember that you should brush your teeth. For this reason, deposits will form, which mineralize over time and turn into stone.
What dental disease can be treated in pregnant women?
The reason which became the reason to visit the dentist can be tooth pain, bleeding gums or hypersensitivity of the enamel. Treat the pathology in the oral cavity during pregnancy should be in the early stages of disease development.
Do readjustment is necessary when identifying the following processes:
- tooth decay – the destruction of dental hard tissues with infectious etiology. In the absence of timely treatment, the cavity increases in size;
- pulpitis and periodontitis – complications of caries, accompanied by a sharp excruciating pain. If you do not remove the cause, the process is able to progress and affect the tissues surrounding the tooth;
- gingivitis – inflammation of the gums accompanied by bleeding and hyperemia of the mucous membrane, especially common among pregnant;
- stomatitis – lesions localized on the soft tissues of the oral cavity;
- periodontal disease is a pathology affecting not only the gums but also the bone structure, which causes the loosening of teeth, and the presence of pathogenic microflora can give complications on heart, joints and the body’s immune defenses;
- odontogenic periostitis and osteomyelitis – severe purulent-inflammatory disease occurring in the absence of timely treatment of caries and its complications.
The detection of dental disease, expectant mothers are experiencing, in what terms to address existing problems and to how many weeks you can treat your teeth?
The best period for oral cavity sanation is considered the second trimester, when the placenta has already been formed and protects the child from negative influence of drugs, and the woman feels good, after all, late-term big belly prevents sit comfortably in a chair, moreover, often marked by disturbance of health that may hinder the implementation of quality treatment.
What is prohibited?
During pregnancy can not carry out some manipulation. This applies mainly to aesthetic dentistry.
- Teeth whitening.
- Orthodontic treatment.
- Descaling the teeth with abrasive and chemicals.
It is also not recommended routine removal of the eighth teeth, but if there is an urgent need for a radical hysterectomy, then this issue should be discussed with a gynecologist and a dentist to determine what’s the best time to carry out the manipulation. Removal is not advised to do in the first trimester because of the possible negative effect of anesthetics on fetal development of the child.
Whitening, and all procedures involving exposure to aggressive substances is contraindicated during gestation due to the fact that it is harmful, the active ingredients can destroy the weakened enamel.
When selecting medicinal drugs for analgesia and treatment of diseases of the mucous membranes it is necessary to pay attention to whether the drug penetrates through the placenta. It is forbidden to apply:
- Lidocaine – there is a likelihood of convulsive contraction, growth, HELL, and respiratory disorders.
- Anti-inflammatory drugs, with the exception of those in the paracetamol – get through gepaticeski barrier and disrupt the formation of systems and organs of the fetus.
- Imudon – doctors do not advise taking immunomodulators due to the lack of consideration of the impact on maternal and child organisms.
On what term it is possible to treat teeth during pregnancy?
The optimal period when it is best to do debridement of the oral cavity is the 2nd trimester because in the first there is a bookmark of future systems and organs, and placental barrier is still in the formative stages and may not provide an adequate level of protection.
In term 3 the stress of manipulation in the mouth, as well as the content of adrenaline in anesthetics may trigger premature labor.
Consider in more detail the features of treatment at various stages of pregnancy:
- Weeks 1-12 – medications may adversely affect the formation of the embryo, therefore, planned dental treatment is not recommended, except in cases accompanied by acute pain;
- 13-24 week is the optimal time in order to bring the mouth back in order. The dentist needs to heal not only the teeth, where the necessary emergency assistance, but also to fill a small cavity, which can increase in the later stages of pregnancy;
- 25-40 week growing belly puts pressure on the internal organs and blood vessels in the dental chair, the woman in the sitting position or turning to the left side. The pose «lying on back» is contraindicated due to possible poor circulation and fainting.
On reception at the dentist anesthetic is used to temporarily eliminate the sensitivity of the soft tissues and the tooth nerve for painless treatment.
If pregnant need dental work, it is one of the main issues she has is what anesthesia can be used, so as not to harm the developing child. Analgesia is required in some medical procedures.
- Preparation of medium and deep caries.
- Treatment of hyperemia of the pulp.
- The removal of the tooth.
- Surgical intervention produced on the soft tissues of the oral cavity.
- Treatment of acute forms of pulpitis and periodontitis.
As you know, during the pregnancy many drugs are forbidden because of their negative impact on the prenatal formation of the fetus, so the main criterion for the selection of the anesthetic is its impermeability through the blood-placental barrier. This means that the medication enters through the umbilical vein to the baby, so don’t can hurt him.
The only medications allowed for analgesia of the teeth in the treatment of a pregnant woman belong to the group, the main active ingredient of which is Articaine. Most commonly used anesthetics such as Ubistesin and Ultracain DS. Please note that pain relief is a drug Ultracain DS-Forte is not recommended because it contained adrenaline, the concentration of which in two times more than in classical Ultracain.
Be sure to tell your dentist that are in «interesting» position, even if the term is still minimal.
There is no unanimous opinion of the doctors about whether to do an x-ray examination of the maxillofacial region pregnant.
A modern dentistry is equipped with x-ray – devices, which allow to obtain digital images of the teeth. Their use is completely harmless for pregnant women and for children because the radiation level is extremely low, so such waves are unable to cause adverse disturbances in the body.
If the clinic is no modern equipment, there is the standard apparatus for radiographic examination of the teeth, so you should observe some recommendations and tips when taking pictures:
- is required to wear a lead apron that covers the pregnant body, particularly the abdomen;
- to perform x-ray diagnosis only in cases of extreme necessity, when it is high-quality treatment;
- do not exceed the permissible exposure.
When conducting radiological examination of a single tooth on a human being exposure equal to 0.2 – 0.3 mSv. Harmful dose to the fetus and its mother is considered to be the aimed radiation directed at the region of the uterus, the size from 1-2 mSv and above. For example, if you travel a person receives much more radiation exposure than x-ray diagnosis of teeth.
Video: how to treat teeth during pregnancy? Dr. Komarovsky’s school.
Dental care during pregnancy
When the expectant mother during pregnancy get rotten, she thinks about whether to treat the tooth now, or you can do it after delivery. Dentists recommend not to postpone the therapy for a long time, because during pregnancy, diet changes, hormonal, often develops inflammation of the gums, as well as a large amount of calcium from the female body goes to the tab and build the skeleton of a baby.
All this accelerates the processes of destruction of the hard tissues of the tooth, which in the short term a small, dark speck can turn into a big hole. That is why, especially during pregnancy, it is recommended to do reorganization of the mouth.
To reduce the likelihood of cavities and other dental diseases should be given a lot of attention to prevention.
- brush your teeth twice a day, morning and evening;
- in addition to the brush and paste, to use additional hygienic accessories, among which dental floss, mouthwash, irrigators;
- choose personal care with the features of your oral cavity: brush soft or medium hardness, paste containing fluoride ions at a dosage of 1500 ppm;
- refrain from aggressive substances in the composition of dental drugs, do not use regular toothpaste for whitening contains highly abrasive substances and carbamide peroxide;
- do office teeth cleaning every six months;
- eat right and balanced. Increase the diet content of foods rich in calcium;
- do not neglect doctor’s recommendations regarding taking vitamins and minerals;
- visit your dentist at least twice a year for a checkup.
Simple tips will allow you to maintain healthy teeth, not only during pregnancy but also after it.
Irina, 25 years
Fear of dental procedures in my childhood, so to go to the dentist — the whole problem. When he was on account of pregnancy, the doctor said that it is necessary to treat small holes in the teeth, but was advised to do this after a period of 12 weeks. So less risk to the child. Long collected his thoughts, and in the fifth month went to the dentist, because I realized that dental caries itself is not lost, and after birth will to treat. The doctor did an anesthetic injection, Ultracain, quickly cured teeth, I didn’t even feel pain. And she was advised to come in after childbirth, as can appear new holes in the teeth.
Olga, 19 years old
My husband planned the pregnancy, so I underwent a full examination and engaged in the elimination of health problems, including dental treatment. The dentist praised me for being attentive to the oral cavity and the pregnancy had engaged in elimination destruction. I always thought pregnant women are not recommended to treat the teeth, but the doctor told when you can do it and what are the drugs to anesthetize, so even if you have a toothache, without the fear of going to the dentist!
Oksana, 29 years
Before getting pregnant, I cured all his teeth. In the period of 14 weeks my husband and I went to a cafe and when he ate, broke a tooth. The doctor on duty in the clinic looked at it and said to treat there is nothing and should be taken care of. I told the dentist that she is pregnant. But he replied that it was not a problem, but also said that there are medications that you can apply at expectant mothers, because they do not fall to the child through blood. Dentist injection anesthesia and quickly removed the problematic tooth. I’m happy that you do not have to suffer.