Enteroviral vesicular stomatitis: causes and treatment
Vesicular stomatitis in children, otherwise referred to very interesting name — syndrome hand-foot-mouth. Onset of the disease and for its initial symptoms are very similar to SARS. However, when the graph joins a rash, you need exact diagnosis and differential diagnosis. In most cases, stomatitis is favorable. He can pass even without treatment. However, sometimes babies with weakened immune systems can develop life-threatening complications.
Briefly about the pathological process
The disease is very contagious. The circle of victims primarily included children of preschool and younger school age. However, if a sick kiddo, the likelihood that infected all the rest of the family. Adults get sick much easier, quite often, are asymptomatic carriers. After recovery, there remains persistent lifelong immunity. Seasonal outbreaks in spring and summer. Agents:
- enterovirus infection Coxsackie A and b;
- enterovirus 71 type.
Viruses are quite resistant to the environment. They are killed by boiling, treatment with a chlorine-containing preparations, manganese, ultraviolet irradiation. Indoors, under normal conditions, retain their activity for up to 14 days. The infection is transmitted in several ways:
- The method of transmission from person — person is fecal-oral and airborne mechanism. Pathology is very easily transmitted from diseased crumbs all the other kids in the kindergarten group. Since the initial clinical picture is very similar to a typical manifestation of SARS, many parents continue to drive their children to children’s groups. Little restless ill during communication, when coughing and sneezing.
In groups, vesicular stomatitis is transmitted by using the same towels, dishes, linens. Be sure to teach your kids that before you eat, you need to wash hands thoroughly with soap and water. Each family should have its own towels and kitchen utensils.
- From dirty products infection occurs quite often. Fruits and vegetables accumulate invisible microorganisms. They are able to cause disease. Therefore, all food products must undergo a hygienic and, if necessary, heat treatment.
- Sources of infection may contain low-quality drinking water.
- The disease is transmitted from blood-sucking insects and sick animals. Transmission occurs through the bites of mosquitoes, gnats, fleas, horseflies. The risk group includes workers zoofarm, farm workers.
How is the disease
Pathology has three stages:
- A hidden incubation period. This is the time from the moment of penetration of the virus in the baby’s body until the first symptoms. In most cases, this phase takes 4 to 7 days;
- The initial period lasts for about 24 to 50 hours. He is accompanied by the appearance of the first symptoms. In General they are very similar to SARS. Even an experienced pediatrician sometimes isn’t able at this stage to make a correct diagnosis;
- The height starts with 2, at least 4 days of the disease and lasts about 7 days. At this stage the pathology differencebut well-known children’s ailments: measles, rubella, chickenpox. Upon confirmation of the diagnosis, the child’s group should be put under quarantine. The room and the toys in the group are subjected to mandatory hygienic treatment;
- After 7-10 days, the symptoms subside, the rash disappears, the phase of the recovery. At this point, the skin can start shearing, separating of the nail plate. In the future, the skin is refreshed, your nails grow, traces and scars are left.
In most cases, healthy children with good immunity, the disease is hidden or surface course. Only the weak kids, the pathology may be complicated by meningitis, encephalitis, paresis.
When enteroviral vesicular stomatitis in children are the following symptoms:
- The decline in overall health. Kids become cranky, whiny. Some drowsy and irritable.
- Pain and sore throat, runny nose, sneezing.
- Increase salivation, dryness of mucous membranes, bad breath.
- The mucosa of the oral cavity hyperemic, painful. From the gums may be mild bleeding.
- Crumbs complain of headaches, muscle pain, are anxious, refuse to eat.
- Some kids may appear gastrointestinal disorders: diarrhea, bloating, belching, nausea, vomiting.
- On palpation there is an increase of lymph nodes.
- In most cases, body temperature rises. Fever is exhausting. It reaches high numbers, bad strays antipyretic drugs.
- 2, at least 4 days later a rash appears. Small bubbles are localized in the oral cavity. They burst and in their place formed a small painful sores. External manifestations is quite similar to a herpes infection. During this period, enteroviral vesicular stomatitis may be complicated by the appearance of the exanthema. In this case rashes appear all over the body. They affect the legs, arms, face, abdomen, and rarely the buttocks. A feature of the course is a rash that appears on the feet and palms.
If skin rash appears, almost all parents call the pediatrician at the house and are absolutely right. Despite the fact that children in most cases well tolerated by the disease, they should be under the close supervision of experts. If the symptoms are severe, you should immediately send the baby to the hospital.
Help your child
Currently there is no specific treatment in this disease. Therefore, it is necessary to carry out symptomatic treatment. Therapy is to increase the immune defenses, the use of antiseptic and wound-healing drugs.
Enteroviral vesicular stomatitis with exanthema treatment:
- Dietotherapy. It is based on lightweight gentle on the stomach the food, the last heat treatment. It is useful to eat porridge, sour fruit, jelly, dairy products, and lean meats. The diet must be completely absent of sweet, sour, salty, spicy dishes. Food should be served in a warm, pre-Paramonov on the blender. After eating, rinse your mouth.
- Be sure to follow the amount of fluids you drink. The child must get clean water, non-acidic fruit drinks, weak tea;
- With increasing temperature more than 38. 5 °C, it is necessary to give antipyretic drug. To drugs in this group include: Nurofen, Set, Calpol, Panadol, Ibufen. With a slight fever, do not use antipyretics. Temperature is a protective mechanism, is a sign of the body’s fight against the virus.
- Severe pain disrupts sleep and the activity of the baby. He becomes lethargic, Moody. In order to decrease the unpleasant symptoms, are allowed to use the following drugs: lidocaine-aseptic and kamistad.
Lidocaine — aseptic available in the form of spray. Contraindications to the use are: pronounced diseases of the heart, liver, seizures, myasthenia gravis, individual tolerability.
For children up to 2 years, the drug is applied on the cloth and swab it on the affected area.
Lidocaine — aseptic has a good analgesic and antiseptic.
Kamistad gel in its composition contains lidocaine and an infusion of chamomile flowers. The drug has a pronounced analgesic, antimicrobial, antiseptic effect. It is not necessary to lubricate drug sores, as the healing in this case will occur longer. After application of the drug, increased salivation. Infants the gel is used with caution, as there is a risk of zahlebyvayas;
- In order to reduce inflammation and speed healing, apply antiseptic medicines. These include solutions: Chlorhexidine, Miramistin, Furatsilinom. Come to the aid of folk remedies: a decoction of chamomile, burdock, Linden, St. John’s wort, yarrow. Solutions conduct a gargle every 2 – 3 hours;
- Wound healing and regenerative drugs used in parallel with anti-inflammatory therapy: Metrogyl Denta, Holisal, Propolis spray, Kartolin;
- Antiviral agents used in order to successfully deal with enteroviral vesicular stomatitis. For treatment use: and Oxolinic Tebrofenovuyu ointment;
- Local immunomodulators for oral mucosa, helps to cope with infectious process faster. Candy Imudon has a very good effect and is recommended for treatment of the disease;
- Antihistamines are used in stomatitis, in severe swelling and itching. These include: Suprastin, Fenistil, Zyrtec;
- To antiviral and stimulating means applies Viferon. It comes in the form of rectal suppositories, and suitable for use even in newborns.
Treat your baby needs a doctor. He watches over the course of the disease, if necessary, must decide the question of the transfer of the baby to the clinic.
In order to protect yourself from enterovirus stomatitis are required to comply with General hygiene, boost immunity with the help of conditioning and diet. Be sure to sanitize the foci of chronic infections of ENT organs and oral cavity.
In summer, use insect repellents. Do not allow children to communicate with uninspected animals on the street.