Fistula on the gums of the tooth: causes, symptoms and treatment
Of all the problems associated with diseases of the teeth, the appearance of a fistula in the gums is quite common. Discover it for self-inspection of the oral cavity, and it will look as congested inflamed point, localized under the gum or above it with a primary location at the tip of the root. This disease never collects on healthy teeth, there is always a reason for the defeat of the dental tissues, resulting in the formation of the cavity for the exit of pus. In such a situation it is necessary to understand what it is and how to treat fistula on the gums to avoid complications.
The formation of a fistula
A dental fistula is an inflammatory disease that directly associated with the formation of holes or «pouch» on the gums. In simple terms, in fact, it is vnutridiskovoe channel connected to the area of suppuration at the top of the tooth.
The pathogenesis of occurrence of the fistula is connected with the necessity of education for the release of pus. At the time, until the gums are still «broke through» the patient can experience swelling on the gums in the area of the tooth, to feel a surge of strong pain. As soon as there is a fistula on the surface of the gums, the pus breaks out, and the pain is reduced.
It was at this point the person thinks that now is a relief and tighten with a trip to the doctor. In fact, the feeling is false and when running the pathological process to cure fistula conventional therapeutic methods becomes more difficult. Without timely treatment, the purulent exudate can reach the periosteum, which is fraught with various complications.
How can we classify disease
The formation of a fistula in the mouth can be classified into two types depending on localization of pathological process:
External fistulas can be found in an independent study of the oral cavity. This moment is the reason for the treatment to the patient’s dentist. Internal fistula to detect by yourself is almost impossible. To see the formation of an infectious lesion in a tooth root at the fistulous course up to the surface of the gums is possible by means of x-ray studies.
Appear fistula may result in granulation (growth of connective tissue). That is why the healing process of the inflamed nerve root, is more complicated, and the existing infection continues to grow rapidly due to active reproduction of pathogenic bacteria and the resulting inflammation. The formation of a fistula on the gums can occur with such a clinical manifestation of:
- the toothache is aggravated by pressure on the aching tooth (sometimes a painless process);
- the appearance of hyperthermia (elevated body temperature);
- in the area a problem area is observed, the staggering of the tooth;
- education eye-catching cavity with purulent masses;
- around the affected tooth is marked hyperemic edematous areas of the gums.
Appeared a fistula on the gums and symptoms resulting from this dental pathology, necessarily requires examination by a dentist and subsequent treatment.
Causes of pathology
If there is a fistula on the gums, its causes connected with the activity of pathogenic microorganisms. Getting into the area of the apex of the tooth, they cause a purulent inflammation at the tooth root.
|The reason||Characteristics and its features|
|Improper sealing of root channels||Sealing of root canals is usually carried out with the aim of further prosthetic treatment of pulpitis. If you rely on statistics, approximately 70% of cases, the dentists do the work poorly. Because of this, nezaplanirovanno part of the tooth root starts the infection process with the formation of purulent inflammation. To track the quality of work done can be done x-ray of the tooth, which should clearly tracked the lumen of the root canal with a dense filling and sealing substances|
|Caries, pulpitis, periodontitis||Dental caries is the destruction of hard shell of the tooth as a result of pathogenic activity and the breeding of bacteria. In this case, the tooth is literally rotting, and if not to take any action, the next stage of the destruction of the tooth is pulpitis. When the pulp pyogenic process reaches the core of the tooth where nerve endings and blood vessels. At this point the patient will begin to experience severe dental pain. However, even if this fact does not lead to the dentist office, the pathological process is selected from within the pulp. In this case, leads to the formation of fistulous on the gums. Due to infections, penetrating for this course, is the inflammation of the soft tissues and the formation of purulent exudate at the apex.|
|Perforation of the tooth root||Appear fistula can and as a result of careless work of a dentist during the cleaning of the root canal. Introduced non-physiological hole becomes the cause of accumulation of pus and the appearance of the fistula.|
|Cyst and granuloma||The appearance of the capsule, pus-filled (a cyst), is accompanied by the formation of a fistula, the result of the fact that the pus in a crowded cyst is looking for a way out. A granuloma is a complication of periodontitis. She, like the cyst is a kind of education, but without the shell and smaller sizes.|
|The emergence of deciduous teeth or wisdom teeth||Difficult teething in children or the formation of a wisdom tooth in an adult may be accompanied by incipient inflammation. The gum starts to swell and if there is injury to tissue, it becomes infected by bacteria located in the oral cavity.|
Usually diagnosis of a fistula on tooth based on visual inspection of the oral cavity. In some cases radiography.
It eliminates the fistula: treatment
Treatment of fistula on the gums must be active neutralization activities of pathogenic microorganisms in the inflammation. Also the purification of the tissues of pus, preventing its recurrence and sealing of the damaged channels. So, how to cure the fistula from the medical point of view? To do this, the dentist performs such manipulations:
- Inspected the oral cavity of the patient. It turns out the appearance of the fistula and the stage of its origin. If the fistula is still formed, but when pressing the gums filled with pus, becomes painful and swollen, the opening of the channel of the fistula. For this it is necessary to make a preliminary x-ray where it will be visible possible cause of the disease (presence of cysts, granulomas, poor sealing of root channels, etc.). If the cause of the fistula is a cyst, you need to remove it surgically and do pereplombirovku of the tooth. If the granuloma is compulsory outflow of purulent exudate from the available education.
- Once there was the opening of the fistula, an existing wound is left open and hold the required irrigation of the oral cavity drugs, which have antiseptic effect and helps to clean and cleanse the wound of pus. Also carried physiotherapy, anti-inflammatory effect. It is possible to apply to the problem of antibacterial gums special pastes and gels.
- In conjunction with external treatment of the disease, the doctor will prescribe antiviral, antibacterial and anti-inflammatory drugs inside.
- As soon as possible to repair the fistula and damaged the cavity begins to overgrow, the cured tooth is sealed. This is often a temporary seal, which is replaced by a constant in 7-10 days, if no signs of re-infection.
You can also highlight several key aspects of treatment of the disease
- External fistula is eliminated by its opening on the outer side of the gums.
- To remove an internal fistula can be achieved by unsealing of the tooth or the formation of new channels, which will provide an outflow of purulent content.
- In some particularly complicated cases require tooth extraction to eliminate inflammation in the gums.
Surgical intervention is required if there has been perforation of the tooth or fistula was formed under the crown of the tooth. All affected tissue can be removed with curettage, but this therapy does not end there. The patient continues the treatment at home under medical supervision.
The use of traditional methods at home
Turning to traditional methods, you need to believe that such treatments can only be subsidiary and in any case not to replace medical therapy. Talk with your doctor, you can use at home such recipes of medicines for rinsing the mouth. For preparation will need:
- salt – 1 tsp;
- soda – 1 tsp.;
- boiling water – 1 cups;
- iodine – a few drops.
Dissolve in boiling water all components. When the solution becomes warm, gargle their mouth after each meal. This tool is effective in incipient inflammations of various etiologies. For preparation will need:
- dry chamomile color – 2 tsp;
- boiling water – 1 Cup.
Brew chamomile in boiling water and allow to stand the solution for half an hour. Medicine cool to room temperature, you need to wash their mouth every 2 hours. As soon as she feels better, should reduce the frequency to 1 time every 3 hours. Chamomile is also effective as a bath. For this, the prepared solution is kept in the mouth for 2 minutes. The number of procedures per day – 3.
The prepared solutions for rinsing popular way to help slow down or even eliminate the spread of infections. However, this tool does not cope with the inflammation. But what to do in this situation? You can prepare a stronger folk remedy – compress. And you need to take the following components:
- eucalyptus (chopped) – 40 g;
- sunflower oil – 1 tbsp;
- onion (chopped) – 1 PC.
If there is fistula, you can mix eucalyptus oil and leave the proceeds on the day. Next add the onion, stir well, wrap in cheesecloth and apply to the gums for 20 minutes. Compress need to do 1 time a day, after applying it is not recommended to eat for 1 hour.
When the fistula is strictly prohibited
- applying warm compresses;
- imposing a compress of pure alcohol or vodka;
- the use of warming ointments.
Traditional ways do not give instant results. The whole therapy needs to be sustained for several weeks (according to doctor’s recommendations).
Along with medication, use of medicines, prepared at home, helps relieve the unpleasant symptoms and facilitate the flow of the inflammatory process.
The consequences of late treatment
If there is a fistula on the gums, and no treatment, the consequences can be very different. Not only that, it looks very aesthetically pleasing and cause discomfort complication can be the following violations:
- tooth loss;
- nerve damage;
- inflammation of the bone tissue;
- the transition of the pathological process in the healthy teeth;
- sepsis (blood poisoning), etc.
After finishing the course of treatment, before the whistle of joy, make sure there is no recurrence or pathologic process are not moved to the other teeth. To do this, visit your doctor for examination of the oral cavity. To reduce the risk of disease, the best option is prevention. Fistulas are formed only in areas of concern. Observing oral hygiene and visiting the dentist to eliminate the carious inflammation, you get healthy teeth and beautiful smile.